Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: It's Anthopoulos

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Bobby is and always will be the heart of this franchise.
    I thought he was the black eye.... wait that is just his wife

//too soon?
    Coppy

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I thought he was the black eye.... wait that is just his wife

//too soon?
    She just wouldn't shut up...

Keith Lockhart this, Keith Lockhart that...over and over and over

It was enough to drive a drinking man to drink more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (11-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    That press conference was strange. No Bobby, no Hart, no JS...

Seems like the old guard is trying just as hard to distance themselves from this stink as we are hoping the new guard distance themselves from the old.

It’s the first time in my life where I really felt the team has moved on from the 90’s.

Or the old guard were kept at a distance. Here's hoping.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    All these external sources indicate that the talent pool is deep, which made the job attractive. Yet at least one certain someone here makes it seem as if there's Albies, Acuna, Inciarte, lucking out on Gohara and nothing else to show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    All these external sources indicate that the talent pool is deep, which made the job attractive. Yet at least one certain someone here makes it seem as if there's Albies, Acuna, Inciarte, lucking out on Gohara and nothing else to show.
    I think the Gohara trade is one that Coppolella deserves a lot of credit for. Acuna, Albies and Inciarte were gifts of the previous regime and Dave Stewart respectively. Then there is the Wood-Oliveira trade.

As for the drafts, 2015 looked very strong to me from the outset and has panned out well. I'm less impressed by the next two drafts but we need a year or two for a better evaluation.

The farm system is flush. But when you consider drafting high for the past three years (with multiple extra picks in the early rounds), blowing past slot on international signings, and trading away Heyward (1 year of contractual control), Justin Upton (1 year), Kimbrel (4), Simmons (5), Gattis (4), Wood (4.5), and the fact that the best talent was inherited (Albies, Acuna), then I think the overall picture becomes less impressive.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BeanieAntics (11-14-2017), JohnAdcox (11-14-2017), jpx7 (11-14-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the Gohara trade is one that Coppolella deserves a lot of credit for. Acuna, Albies and Inciarte were gifts of the previous regime and Dave Stewart respectively. Then there is the Wood-Oliveira trade.

As for the drafts, 2015 looked very strong to me from the outset and has panned out well. I'm less impressed by the next two drafts but we need a year or two for a better evaluation.

The farm system is flush. But when you consider drafting high for the past three years (with multiple extra picks in the early rounds), blowing past slot on international signings, and trading away Heyward (1 year of contractual control), Justin Upton (1 year), Kimbrel (4), Simmons (5), Gattis (4), Wood (4.5), and the fact that the best talent was inherited (Albies, Acuna), then I think the overall picture becomes less impressive.
    This. And its still possible to hold this position and still think the Braves have a great farm system.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    This. And its still possible to hold this position and still think the Braves have a great farm system.
    It'll be 2-3 years before we can have a full evaluation of the Coppy rebuild. But I'd give it an interim grade of C+/B-.

We are set up for a competitive window of at least 5 years starting in 2020, give or take a year.

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I can understand questioning some of the moves Coppy made or the stategy employed, but blaming him for using his resources seems strange. Trading for extra picks, going overslot, and trading veterans away seems like what every GM in a rebuild does.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2017), Knucksie (11-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I can understand questioning some of the moves Coppy made or the stategy employed, but blaming him for using his resources seems strange. Trading for extra picks, going overslot, and trading veterans away seems like what every GM in a rebuild does.
    I'm not blaming him. But for example in the 2015 draft we had an extra first round pick from Erwin Santana hitting free agency. I think you need to take that into account to evaluate how he did relative to the resources available (and that includes draft position). Just like we need to take into account the list of fairly valuable major league talent (some with significant remaining years of contractual control on very club friendly terms) that was traded away.

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

That one year of control on Heyward netted the very useful and effective Miller, who we all know brought more bounty. Inciarte, alone, was worth the price of admission. Sorry to repeat myself, but anything that Swanson ultimately accomplishes is gravy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    That one year of control on Heyward netted the very useful and effective Miller, who we all know brought more bounty. Inciarte, alone, was worth the price of admission. Sorry to repeat myself, but anything that Swanson ultimately accomplishes is gravy.
    The trade with Arizona has turned out very well. For a while, it looked like it would be an enormous haul for us and I think we all got a bit greedy. But it has turned out very well.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    It'll be 2-3 years before we can have a full evaluation of the Coppy rebuild. But I'd give it an interim grade of C+/B-.

We are set up for a competitive window of at least 5 years starting in 2020, give or take a year.
    Agreed. I always stated Coppy and the rest of the FO was slightly below average. Folks point to the farm system as if any professional sports GM couldn't have done exactly the same thing. Any organization who sells off a handful of valuable assets, picks up a few top draft picks, and inherits Acuna/Albies should have an excellent farm system...there is literally no skill involved in making that happen.

My ding on Coppy has less to do with individual moves or prospects acquired (all GMs miss on prospects and have trades that look bad in hindsight), and more to do with the overall processes followed by the organization.

Shooting for 2017 contention was a bad process that resulted in bad moves like keeping Teheran, and acquiring HO/Kemp.

Valuing pitching prospects over position prospects resulted in the farm having less overall value than it potentially could have.

Promoting Swanson and Albies unnecessarily cost the Braves a lot of future value in exchange for almost zero present value.

Those are all bad processes employed by a below average FO/GM, and is why I always graded Coppy as a C- or worse. I am hopeful AA will be better.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-14-2017 at 04:38 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm not blaming him. But for example in the 2015 draft we had an extra first round pick from Erwin Santana hitting free agency. I think you need to take that into account to evaluate how he did relative to the resources available (and that includes draft position). Just like we need to take into account the list of fairly valuable major league talent (some with significant remaining years of contractual control on very club friendly terms) that was traded away.
    I know what you're saying, but you can play that game with any rebuild and any GM.

Including draft position means you have to question the Cubs rebuild since they had 5 years of top 10 picks and lucked up with the #2 overall in the year Bryant was there. You have to now quesiton Amora Jr at #6 and maybe even Schwarber at #4 depending on if he can turn it around.

They also blew past slot in 2013 to get Eloy and Gleyber. They inherited Baez. They traded away 6 years of DJ Lamehieu, 4 years of Cashner, 2 years of Shark, and I'm sure many more. Of course that's how they got Rizzo and Russell, but if you only focus on what was traded and not received it looks bad. The Arietta trade was a steal. So we'll blame the Orioles GM for that one.

I'm sure we could do the same with the Yankees, White Sox, and Astros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I know what you're saying, but you can play that game with any rebuild and any GM.

Including draft position means you have to question the Cubs rebuild since they had 5 years of top 10 picks and lucked up with the #2 overall in the year Bryant was there. You have to now quesiton Amora Jr at #6 and maybe even Schwarber at #4 depending on if he can turn it around.

They also blew past slot in 2013 to get Eloy and Gleyber. They inherited Baez. They traded away 6 years of DJ Lamehieu, 4 years of Cashner, 2 years of Shark, and I'm sure many more. Of course that's how they got Rizzo and Russell, but if you only focus on what was traded and not received it looks bad. The Arietta trade was a steal. So we'll blame the Orioles GM for that one.

I'm sure we could do the same with the Yankees, White Sox, and Astros.
    The Cubs have made some mistakes. They've done some things well. And have big financial resources. But they have not been perfect.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    The Cubs have made some mistakes. They've done some things well. And have big financial resources. But they have not been perfect.
    Main things the Cubs did right was not trying to rebuild in 3 years, and emphasized position player prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Main things the Cubs did right was not trying to rebuild in 3 years, and emphasized position player prospects.
    I think the clearest place where the Braves over-emphasis on pitching in the draft hurt was in 2016 when they went Anderson, Wentz, Muller with their first three picks. It is easy to second guess, but Bo Bichette and Nolan Jones were taken after Wentz and Muller in the second round that year.

"I am your retribution."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I think the clearest place where the Braves over-emphasis on pitching in the draft hurt was in 2016 when they went Anderson, Wentz, Muller with their first three picks. It is easy to second guess, but Bo Bichette and Nolan Jones were taken after Wentz and Muller in the second round that year.
    Plenty of people were against taking 3 pitchers in 2016 the moment after it happened.

I was against it before it happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Plenty of people were against taking 3 pitchers in 2016 the moment after it happened.

I was against it before it happened.
    The Braves have historically gotten poor yields with high school pitchers taken after the first round. But they doubled down that year with Wentz and Muller. I thought it was questionable at the time too. In that part of the draft the best yields have come when we have taken HS hitters and college pitchers.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Has to be about the 12398273419041209784 time this argument has brought up.

I'm ready to turn the page on the whole prior regime. The major leagues / minor leagues are filled with exciting young talent. Can't wait to see AA go to work!
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Has to be about the 12398273419041209784 time this argument has brought up.

I'm ready to turn the page on the whole prior regime. The major leagues / minor leagues are filled with exciting young talent. Can't wait to see AA go to work!
    This is low key the best part of the regime change. No more reason to bring up Heyward, Swanson brought up too early, Kemp, Markakis... a fresh start.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-15-2017), Garmel (11-15-2017), Jaw (11-15-2017), Knucksie (11-15-2017), thethe (11-14-2017)