Thread: Two Trade Ideas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Two Trade Ideas

1) Adonis Garcia to the Marlins for Martin Prado. We pay 10M of Prado's contract in both 2018 and 2019 and the Marlins pay 3.5M and 5.0M in those two years. The trade can structured so we pay less and send a better prospect, but I prefer it this way. Marlins get someone who can fill in at the major league level. We get a veteran who can strengthen the left side of the infield. Prado also has the versatility to play in the OF and at first. We avoid giving up a significant prospect.

2) Matt Adams to the Dodgers for either Brandon McCarthy or Hyun-jin Ryu. Why would the Dodgers do this? They currently have Kershaw, Wood, Hill and Maeda for their 2018 rotation. They will have an interest in moving Ryu or McCarthy. Cody Bellinger and Chris Taylor given them a lot of positional versatility, which would allow them to use Adams primarily against righties. We avoid giving up a significant prospect. Did I already say this? Yes, I did.

I've noted my skepticism about starting 2018 with Fried or Sims in the rotation. If we made the above trade, we would have Teheran, Folty, Newcomb, Gohara and either McCarthy or Ryu. Most teams end up giving 10 or more starts to 2-3 pitchers who do not start the year in the major league rotation. I think it is likely even if we acquire a starting pitcher, that Fried, Sims and Soroka will make 10 starts or more in 2018.

With those two trades payroll would be about 105M, which would still leave us the flexibility to pick up a mid-tier reliever.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    1) Adonis Garcia to the Marlins for Martin Prado. We pay 10M of Prado's contract in both 2018 and 2019 and the Marlins pay 3.5M and 5.0M in those two years. The trade can structured so we pay less and send a better prospect, but I prefer it this way. Marlins get someone who can fill in at the major league level. We get a veteran who can strengthen the left side of the infield. Prado also has the versatility to play in the OF and at first. We avoid giving up a significant prospect.

2) Matt Adams to the Dodgers for either Brandon McCarthy or Hyun-jin Ryu. Why would the Dodgers do this? They currently have Kershaw, Wood, Hill and Maeda for their 2018 rotation. They will have an interest in moving Ryu or McCarthy. Cody Bellinger and Chris Taylor given them a lot of positional versatility, which would allow them to use Adams primarily against righties. We avoid giving up a significant prospect. Did I already say this? Yes, I did.

I've noted my skepticism about starting 2018 with Fried or Sims in the rotation. If we made the above trade, we would have Teheran, Folty, Newcomb, Gohara and either McCarthy or Ryu. Most teams end up giving 10 or more starts to 2-3 pitchers who do not start the year in the major league rotation. I think it is likely even if we acquire a starting pitcher, that Fried, Sims and Soroka will make 10 starts or more in 2018.

With those two trades payroll would be about 105M, which would still leave us the flexibility to pick up a mid-tier reliever.

I think these would work for the Braves at least.

I like McCarthy the most. That's the right sort of low risk acquisition that makes sense to me.

I'm not as sure about Prado. Makes some sense on paper but I worry about aging with him and 10 million is still a chunk of change for 2019. If 2019 is largely a write off, then I don't have a problem with it. If they are going to move Kemp somehow and really try to make a splash in that market then it might not fit.

Ryu to me has probably seen his best days, but he probably can give you some average innings and 1 year/ $7 million in exchange for whatever Adams ends up making is a light enough cost that it doesn't matter a great deal whether it works out.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The Dodgers have Adrian Gonzalez coming back in 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    The Dodgers have Adrian Gonzalez coming back in 2018
    whoops...thought he was done...strike that idea at least as it involves Adams...on the other hand he was below replacement last year...so maybe they just cut their losses with him
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Dodgers have pioneered the manipulation of the 10 day DL to effectively deploy an 8 man rotation. They seem to have found a market inefficiency by acquiring injury-prone SPs, and then limiting their workloads through the use of the 10 day DL. I don't think they are likely to trade away any SP, but something low cost like that would be a good use of MAdams since he will almost certainly be traded to clear payroll and has next to zero trade value in a market flush with bat-first slugger types.

The Marlins would likely agree to a deal similar to what you suggested, but the only way I would take Prado is if he were part of an Ozuna/Yelich package. Unless Prado is acquired to lessen the prospect package going to Miami for Ozuna/Yelich, I would rather give Camargo ~500 PAs and see if that power spike is for real.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't know the Dodgers plan, but I'd be interessted in Joc if they're not giving him a starting role.

I don't think we'll take the negative pub on keeping Acuna down on the farm for a couple of weeks to delay the clock. However one way we could get by with it is if we had a guy like Joc starting in RF to start the season and then move to a platoon in LF if we're stuck with Kemp or become a 4th OF if we've upgraded LF then it'll be a lot more pallatable of a decision to the average fan and we won't have the negative pub in the media.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I don't know the Dodgers plan, but I'd be interessted in Joc if they're not giving him a starting role.

I don't think we'll take the negative pub on keeping Acuna down on the farm for a couple of weeks to delay the clock. However one way we could get by with it is if we had a guy like Joc starting in RF to start the season and then move to a platoon in LF if we're stuck with Kemp or become a 4th OF if we've upgraded LF then it'll be a lot more pallatable of a decision to the average fan and we won't have the negative pub in the media.
    I've thought about Joc as well... he's currently stuck as a 4th OF in LA behind Puig/Taylor/Hernandez and eventually Verdugo. He could give us another LHH with pop who's capable of playing all three OF positions.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-14-2017)