Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FG FA Contract Projections

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Why do folks around here insist on claiming things the FO says aren't true when the comments don't jive with what they want to see happen, or what actually happened?

AA says "we are not going to accelerate the rebuild", and folks think the Braves might still make significant additions.

The old FO says, "we are going to be much better next year", and when the team predictably sucks folks say, "yeah, they didn't REALLY mean that".

When was the last time the Braves FO said one thing and then did the opposite?
    Not accelerating =/= sitting on your hands. For all we know, that means that they don't plan trading prospect capital for rental players. Or it could just be GM talk to keep the upper hand in potential trades/FA negotiations.

As far as when the Braves FO said one thing and did the other, have you not been paying attention to anything since Wren was fired? Basically any big name player we've traded recently? Timeline for contention?

He could absolutely mean they aren't going to spend any money, but that isn't what he said. You are reading into his comments to suit your own beliefs.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-15-2017 at 02:04 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    LOL, I never bought their bull****. I suppose I need to spend 20 minutes quoting 50 comments where folks posted exactly the kind of thing I described?

It's hilarious reading you guys jump up and down about how good the team will be, and then when they suck say, "the FO wasn't REALLY trying to win".
    Once again, I'm not sure where I said that. It must be the "folks" you're talking about.

I stated over and over again that 2017 was a mirage and we were signing guys to flip in July cause Coppy was prospect hungry after flipping guys like Bud Norris, Lucas Harell, Cervenka etc.

I've also just said I have no idea what we're going to do. We could stay put and let the kids play and let AA see what we have for a year or he could have plans to change things up. You then insenuated that I was wanting major acquisitions to happen, or maybe that was other "folks". I'm just not sure what's in your head is always the reality of the situation.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not accelerating =/= sitting on your hands. For all we know, that means that they don't plan trading prospect capital for rental players. Or it could just be GM talk to keep the upper hand in potential trades/FA negotiations.

As far as when the Braves FO said one thing and did the other, have you not been paying attention to anything since Wren was fired?
    Yes, it's GM speak or politician speak. Reading his quotes I definitely caught some BS, but it's exactly what I expected. It's his first day on the job.

BTW...I don't believe the part where he said he didn't think of the Braves for the 2 weeks he waited and only focused on the Dodgers. He surely had a file going on his laptop and some hypothetical situations running in his head, but he's not going to discuss that now. He wants people to come to him and try and convince him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

As far as when the Braves FO said one thing and did the other, have you not been paying attention to anything since Wren was fired? Basically any big name player we've traded recently? Timeline for contention?

He could absolutely mean they aren't going to spend any money, but that isn't what he said. You are reading into his comments to suit your own beliefs.
    OK, guess we will find out soon enough.

I can't wait to see the excuses you guys come up with.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Haha...Now you're going to say "Folks promised me we were going to make major trades and sign some significant Free agents" in a couple of months. Not one person has said that though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Haha...Now you're going to say "Folks promised me we were going to make major trades and sign some significant Free agents" in a couple of months. Not one person has said that though.
    Really? Not one person on this board has said payroll is going to be $125M+ and the Braves are going to add Mous and 1-2 legit BP arms?

Not a single person has argued against my theory that payroll is decreasing and the Braves are unlikely to make any significant additions?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

There will be no excuses. I have fully admitted it's quite possible they don't spend much at all or make substantial trades. I don't expect it. But I don't take everything the FO does as some sort of secret clue that as evidence for my argument.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-15-2017 at 02:29 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Really? Not one person on this board has said payroll is going to be $125M+ and the Braves are going to add Mous and 1-2 legit BP arms?

Not a single person has argued against my theory that payroll is decreasing and the Braves are unlikely to make any significant additions?
    I was referring to the current situaiton at hand which is reacting to AA's recent remarks. Once again there's that overgeneralization. Read up on what overgeneralizing says about a person.

When it comes to payroll most I've read are people saying payroll is going to be about the same and it had nothing to do with some conjured up theory about missed revenue projections.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I was referring to the current situaiton at hand which is reacting to AA's recent remarks. Once again there's that overgeneralization. Read up on what overgeneralizing says about a person.

When it comes to payroll most I've read are people saying payroll is going to be about the same and it had nothing to do with some conjured up theory about missed revenue projections.
    Yes, I'm sure the Braves moved into a new stadium under the assumption they would draw 2.5 million fans. I'm sure they decided to move from drawing 2.5 million at Turner to drawing the same amount in a brand new expensive stadium. That was definitely how they projected attendance when the decision was made.

As I said, we will see, and I look forward to your next excuse.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Yes, I'm sure the Braves moved into a new stadium under the assumption they would draw 2.5 million fans.

As I said, we will see, and I look forward to your next excuse.
    What was my first excuse?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    What was my first excuse?
    You already started with the "politician talk" excuse.

I'll make some predictions of the excuses thrown around when the Braves payroll is $110M and they haven't improved the roster in any significant way:

- They are saving money for next offseason.
    - They didn't know how large the fines would be, so they had to set money aside.
    - They didn't really like any available FAs.
    - They are saving money to extend young players.

Then tehteh will chime in about why a decreased payroll is actually a good thing haha.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    You already started with the "politician talk" excuse.

I'll make some predictions of the excuses thrown around when the Braves payroll is $110M and they haven't improved the roster in any significant way:

- They are saving money for next offseason.
    - They didn't know how large the fines would be, so they had to set money aside.
    - They didn't really like any available FAs.
    - They are saving money to extend young players.

Then tehteh will chime in about why a decreased payroll is actually a good thing haha.
    So you don't think "politician talk" i s a real thing?

It's all starting to make sense now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    So you don't think "politician talk" i s a real thing?

It's all starting to make sense now.
    Of course it is. It’s not a excuse I️ use whenever I️ decide I️ don’t want to believe something the Braves FO says though. I️ prefer to rely on my own logical deduction skills

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    FG agreed with making Hunter a team’s Plan A if they are interested in the best value.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2018-free-agent-bargains/