Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's AA gonna do?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

What's AA gonna do?

We have no idea what AA is going to do, but it's fun to speculate. From some of the things he has said, others have said about him, and moves he has made we can speculate on his tendacies and try to get a gauge on what he plans on doing. We don't know what his duties were in L.A., so we can throw in any recent Dodgers tendacies as well. Using the 10 day D.L. as a resource for pitchers, growing your own players, and resigning your guys would be the top 3 that come to mind.

He likes the extension.
    He likes the fallen star/late bloomer/prospect who's lost a little shine.
    He's not big on free agency. Outside of the Russell Martin deal when he was all in, he never signed anyone for more than $16M total (Melky) or longer than 3 years (Izturis)
    He's not afraid to make a big trade.
    He'll take on contracts to get value from other players.
    He likes the passionate players, the players who rub off on the rest of the team and are grinders. That's why he traded for Josh Donaldson and signed Martin.
    He's valuing defense. He admitted it was an issue with the Jays. His time with the Dodgers probably made him more cognizant of his pitfalls there.
    He values the draft, likes accumlating picks, and believes you need a stable of arms. (I'm guessing this is where that Coppy clone reference came from)

Taking everything in to account I'm thinking we won't see much in free agency, but could see a bevvy of trades. I could see us moving Kemp and Markakis as well as taking on a contract or two to acquire a player we want. We don't have any obvious extension candidates, but I could see an extension for Flowers and possibly one for Folty depending on how he feeels about his potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    he will extent the late bloomer
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-17-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    he will extent the late bloomer
    It just makes sense

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm going to assume he kept his willingness to wheel and deal from his Jays days, but learned a bit about player valuation from his Dodgers days. Assuming a payroll in the $100M-$110M range, and is already projected to be $96M in 2018 with no changes being made, I expect AA to:

- Unload some portion of Kemp's deal, somehow, some way. Might use some lower end pitching prospect depth to get that done.
    - Keep all of Teheran, Folty, Newk, Gohara, Fried and Sims as part of a 7-8 man rotation similar to what the Dodgers do.
    - Add an injury-prone buy-low SP they can work into that 7-8 man rotation. Possibly part of a Kemp deal.
    - AA should be smart enough to keep Acuna down to start the year, preferably until an injury opens a hole.
    - Markakis is in LF/RF opening day.
    - MAdams traded for...nothing because one dimensional platoon sluggers aren't worth much, and the Braves can't afford a $5M bench bat.
    - 1-2 value adds to the BP. Nobody notable unless a legit arm is sitting there late in the offseason.
    - Value add to LF/RF, probably a RHer that can platoon with Markakis once Acuna is called up.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-16-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    First step will probably be admitting he has a problem on his hands.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-17-2017), Jaw (11-16-2017), Tapate50 (11-16-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm going to assume he kept his willingness to wheel and deal from his Jays days, but learned a bit about player valuation from his Dodgers days. Assuming a payroll in the $100M-$110M range, and is already projected to be $96M in 2018 with no changes being made, I expect AA to:

- Unload some portion of Kemp's deal, somehow, some way. I wouldn't be surprised to see him use some lower end pitching prospect depth to get that done.
    - Keep all of Teheran, Folty, Newk, Gohara, Fried and Sims as part of a 7-8 man rotation similar to what the Dodgers do.
    - Add an injury-prone buy-low SP they can work into that 7-8 man rotation. Possibly part of a Kemp deal.
    - AA should be smart enough to keep Acuna down to start the year.
    - Markakis is in LF/RF opening day.
    - MAdams will be traded for...nothing because one dimensional platoon sluggers aren't worth much, and the Braves can't afford a $5M bench bat.
    - 1-2 value adds to the BP.
    - Value add to LF/RF, probably a RHer that can platoon with Markakis once Acuna is called up.
    I've thought about a Matt Kemp/Phil Hughes deal as the Twins and Royals are the only teams that are in obvious need of a DH and Ian Kennedy's contract looks too bad. Hughes is due 13.2 the next 2 years, so we'd save 5.8M each year. He could be a long reliever/swingman.
    I'm thinking we could flip Markakis as well by either eating a couple mil or attaching a Freeman/Ramirez guy or lower level prospect to a team like the Orioles.

If we could flip both those guys I'd like to see us go after some prospects like Joc, Grichuk, Piscotty, Kepler or even Jackie Bradley JR who may have seen their stock slip and fill two holes with those guys and then be able to keep Acuna down for a bit and then have options to work him in.

Matt Adams is definitely gone, no need for him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-16-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I've thought about a Matt Kemp/Phil Hughes deal as the Twins and Royals are the only teams that are in obvious need of a DH and Ian Kennedy's contract looks too bad. Hughes is due 13.2 the next 2 years, so we'd save 5.8M each year. He could be a long reliever/swingman.
    I'm thinking we could flip Markakis as well by either eating a couple mil or attaching a Freeman/Ramirez guy or lower level prospect to a team like the Orioles.

If we could flip both those guys I'd like to see us go after some prospects like Joc, Grichuk, Piscotty, Kepler or even Jackie Bradley JR who may have seen their stock slip and fill two holes with those guys and then be able to keep Acuna down for a bit and then have options to work him in.

Matt Adams is definitely gone, no need for him.
    The reason I think the Braves keep Markakis is because he's not terrible and the Braves have **** for OFers. With no money to spend, they will be hard pressed to find a 1 win OF for less than $11M (including prospect costs). Plus, the Braves love Markakis.

I don't think any team is going to acquire Kemp to be the primary DH. They will acquire him to be a bench bat, move to 1B, rotate through the DH slot, or just cut him loose. The most the Braves could hope to save in a Kemp deal is $5M-$10M total. Swapping him for a bad SP contract is an idea that holds merit, but I haven't taken the time to identify any candidates.

Helping the Cards clear their logjam of mediocre OFers seems like a no-brainer. I actually consider a trade with them to be the most likely trade for the Braves to make this offseason after unloading MAdams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Trade someone to reinforce the left side of the infield such as Prado, trade for veteran starting pitcher such as McCarthy, sign reliever maybe Moylan, trade away Adams.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    A trade for one of the Cardinals OF's and Gyorko makes sense for us. That will depend on the Stanton deal either happening or not first.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    immediately quit when Bobby, JS and Snit pull the branding iron out that says 'Braves Way' and asks AA to bend over and drop his pants.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    immediately quit when Bobby, JS and Snit pull the branding iron out that says 'Braves Way' and asks AA to bend over and drop his pants.
    I believe that was part of the agreement to take the job.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Trade Maitan before he is taken away from us...?
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    1.) Tacks 2 years onto the end of Flowers' deal - $8-$10 million. Jackson is at least 2 years away if he's able to stick behind the plate. Would allow Alex to work in slowly in late 2019/early 2020. Scivicque backs Tyler up after next season.

2.) Extends Albies/Gohara/Acuna if we see what everyone expects from them next season.

3.) Signs Addison Reed and converts Touki to a reliever so he can begin learning to close.

4.) IF Frazier can somehow be "bought" with a high-AAV one-year deal, he signs him to buy another year to follow Riley's development and to leave open the possibility of a run at Donaldson next winter - if not, Camargo and Rio platoon at 3B.

5.) Keeps Markakis through the winter and trades him for whatever he can get for him by June 1 (if not even a little earlier).

AND (for all those who hate the discussion)...

6.) After seeing Gohara first-hand, makes a legitimate offer for Archer to get that dominant 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation - probably including Adams to fill their 1B hole, Allard, Maitan (assuming we still have him), and another piece on the Muller/ Ricardo Sanchez/Demeritte/Dustin Peterson/Derian Cruz level.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Oh! Ho! Ho! So funny!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If we can trade Kemp I could see a move for Avisal Garcia with a planned extension. He's still only 26. His BABIP is crazy, but he's always had a high one, so even with the regression he'll be solid offensively and probably better defensively in LF.

Trading for a LF isn't usually a good idea, but if the price is right it could make sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If anyone thinks the Braves will give a FA BP arm $30M, they haven't been paying attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Oh! Ho! Ho! So funny!

I mean, I thought it was funny, but Knucksie said, no, it wasn’t funny.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think he'll try to move Kemp, not sure if he was in the Jays FO when they moved Vernon Wells but similar situations there with Kemp.

And maybe try to sign some young guys (Albies, Swanson, Acuna) to an extension.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If anyone thinks the Braves will give a FA BP arm $30M, they haven't been paying attention.
    maybe he was a O'venabrell fan as a young lad and we can get him for 27 mill.
    Coppy

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    1) Trade away Kemp and try to save at least $5M/year
    2) Trade Markakis for anything
    3) Trade Wentz and a guy for Ozuna (he has 2 years left and can be extended) to play LF
    4) Sign Frazier for 3 year/$45M w/ $500K buyout after year 2
    5) Sign a couple middlen BP arms

Run 2018 with young roster + Freeman, Frazier, Tyler, Suzuki as vet leadership.