Thread: Please Help Rico answer these two questions

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Please Help Rico answer these two questions

How did the Braves lose Negret, who came from Cuba and was not subject to any restrictions other that his age?

How did they manage to keep Drew Waters, Braulio Vazquez, J.C. Encarnacion?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Vazquez and Encarnacion were signed for less than 300K as well as Ramos. They only took away the ones signed for over 300K, as that would have been their limitation.

I think they kept Drew, becauise they had no idea on how to handle making him a "free agent"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Vazquez and Encarnacion were signed for less than 300K as well as Ramos. They only took away the ones signed for over 300K, as that would have been their limitation.

I think they kept Drew, becauise they had no idea on how to handle making him a "free agent"

There would not have been a rule against the Braves paying Waters more money than they did. They just would have incurred extremely stiff penalties to do so in the next draft (and money penalty). So I don't think they'd have lost him even if they had actually bought him the car. If they'd bought him the car, they'd probably have had next year's draft decimated and kept him, which is consistent with what they did with international penalties. That's actually the penalty I thought they were most likely to receive so I was totally wrong about that. It could have been worse.

I thought Cuban players of an age were subject to bonus pool restrictions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I also think the problem with Waters was that we "offered" illegal compensation but in the end his signing was perfectly legitimate. Considering the offer was in jest, taking a third rounder is absolutely absurd. Voiding Waters contract may have drawn a lawsuit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I also think the problem with Waters was that we "offered" illegal compensation but in the end his signing was perfectly legitimate. Considering the offer was in jest, taking a third rounder is absolutely absurd. Voiding Waters contract may have drawn a lawsuit.

I haven't seen much evidence one way or the other as to whether it was a jest.

Given the Braves don't seem to be fighting that either, and given MLB apparently had emails and admissions from the Braves, I don't know.

It does seem to be the penalty that is one the least solid ground of all of them.

If the Braves were going to ask for any reconsideration I think that is the one I would ask about.