Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot takes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Hot takes...

Let's hear your hot takes. Here are mine.

Almost all Hollywood actors are highly overrated in regards to acting. If you compared the actual acting ability of the average Hollywood actor to the average athletic ability of sport athletes, I think Hollywood actors would be the equivalent of high school athletes that are potentially deserving of a scholarship at non competitive schools. The most elite hollywood actors are equivalent to Jace Peterson in regards to the ability of their profession.

People who order steaks at restaurants are morons. It's not hard to find a decent steak for around $5 at a grocery store and is maybe the easiest thing to cook in the world. At a restaurant a decent steak costs 20 bucks minimum.
    thank you weso1!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post

Almost all Hollywood actors are highly overrated in regards to acting. If you compared the actual acting ability of the average Hollywood actor to the average athletic ability of sport athletes, I think Hollywood actors would be the equivalent of high school athletes that are potentially deserving of a scholarship at non competitive schools. The most elite hollywood actors are equivalent to Jace Peterson in regards to the ability of their profession.

People who order steaks at restaurants are morons. It's not hard to find a decent steak for around $5 at a grocery store and is maybe the easiest thing to cook in the world. At a restaurant a decent steak costs 20 bucks minimum.
    First Hot take. That's not even close to true. While there are a lot of bad actors and I think that's what causes people's perception on acting to be skewed. It's similar to people's opinions on comics. People think that because they can make their friends/family/coworkers laugh that they can make a room full of strangers staring daggers at them laugh. Same thing with acting. The worst actor in the world can still out act every average Joe by a mile. I wouldn't compare them to highschool athletes I'd compare them to D1 walk ons. The best actors in the world are truly special. If you think you can do what Daniel Day Lewis does you're wrong. He's got every bit as much drive and obsession as any elite athlete. His perfection to his craft surpasses that of nearly any elite athlete and can only be compared to a handful of the top of the games. There's something with the arts that people think is highly accessible. I can't count the number of people who think they can play guitar well enough to be in a successful band not realizing all the other things that play a part in that. The reality is that because art cannot be quantified as easily as sports, people have this myth that art is easy.

Second point, sometimes true, sometimes not true. Depends on the restaurant. I wouldn't order steak at a diner or a ****ty bar. But there's no way you can compare a steak you make at home to a steak from a great restaurant who has a better relationship with the farmer, often dry ages steaks, etc.Don't get me wrong, I almost never order steak out. I would be lying if I said I did, but there are steaks I cannot hope to replicate. And there are times when the steak is the best deal on the menu. For example, I could spend 12 bucks on a Burger or 15 bucks on a flat iron. I know from this place the chefs know how to cook. I'm getting the flat iron.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I don't know what a hot take really is, but it sounds like a short soap box.

Stop buying add on content to video games. Don't do it anymore. I'm OK with games like Skyrim or Breath of the Wild or THe Witcher having paid DLC that adds hours to a game that's already hours long. You know what isn't OK, having DLC to games like Battlefront or Destiny where the main gameplay is incredibly short and by the time you get all the DLC, it feels like you finally got a games worth of game play. People shat on Overwatch at launch saying 60 bucks for a MOBA is insane, but other games have come out that aren't as complete and cost so much more. Meanwhile almost 2 years into owning Overwatch I've spent almost 0 extra dollars on it (I bought the PC version on black friday, I couldn't help myself) I would like to thank companies like EA for ruining my enthusiasm for non-Nintendo video games. Because of them I'm now more cautious than ever spending money on video games. And I never will preorder another EA game or buy one near launch after the disaster that was Battlefront and Mass Effect Andromeda.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2018), Runnin (01-21-2018), weso1 (01-20-2018)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I ****ing hate people that wait until the very last second while in line at a retail store to pay for thier ****. If you know you’re going to write a check, start writing it early and not wait until everything is rung up

Also can’t stand people who are dumbfounded at drive throughs or at the fast food pay counter. Fast food joints have sold the same **** for eternity so there’s no need to spend 5 minutes looking over the menu at McDonald’s or KFC.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (01-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    First Hot take. That's not even close to true. While there are a lot of bad actors and I think that's what causes people's perception on acting to be skewed. It's similar to people's opinions on comics. People think that because they can make their friends/family/coworkers laugh that they can make a room full of strangers staring daggers at them laugh. Same thing with acting. The worst actor in the world can still out act every average Joe by a mile. I wouldn't compare them to highschool athletes I'd compare them to D1 walk ons. The best actors in the world are truly special. If you think you can do what Daniel Day Lewis does you're wrong. He's got every bit as much drive and obsession as any elite athlete. His perfection to his craft surpasses that of nearly any elite athlete and can only be compared to a handful of the top of the games. There's something with the arts that people think is highly accessible. I can't count the number of people who think they can play guitar well enough to be in a successful band not realizing all the other things that play a part in that. The reality is that because art cannot be quantified as easily as sports, people have this myth that art is easy.

Second point, sometimes true, sometimes not true. Depends on the restaurant. I wouldn't order steak at a diner or a ****ty bar. But there's no way you can compare a steak you make at home to a steak from a great restaurant who has a better relationship with the farmer, often dry ages steaks, etc.Don't get me wrong, I almost never order steak out. I would be lying if I said I did, but there are steaks I cannot hope to replicate. And there are times when the steak is the best deal on the menu. For example, I could spend 12 bucks on a Burger or 15 bucks on a flat iron. I know from this place the chefs know how to cook. I'm getting the flat iron.
    The problem on the first point is that your floor is too high. I completely disagree that the worst Hollywood actor can act better than a random joe. The worst Hollywood actor is like me if I tried to be an mlb player. I would look like a complete moron even if mlb stated that every pitcher had to intentionally walk me every at bat. I would stand up there with my bat and look worse than the worst hitting pitcher. That's what the worst hollywood actor is like.

Is there any other profession where you can mostly only choose people who are good looking, or at least greatly reduce the talent pool based purely on looks? Sure, maybe a Tom Brady and a Jeter falls through the cracks, but that leaves out Drew Brees, Petyon Manning, Babe Ruth, Randy Johnson, etc. Daniel Day Lewis is respected way too much, because the floor is way too high.

Also, I still wouldn't order the $15 steak because I know that I could make that at home. If I'm at a restaurant I'm going to order a thing that I don't think I can make at home. I've also never had a steak I can't replicate. While I've never had a suis vid steak, I can't justify the price difference based on the price. I could literally cook $5 NY Strip steaks on my own that taste as good as any steak I've every had at a restaurant. Is a suis vid steak $25ish better?
    Last edited by weso1; 01-21-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Take one - Hollywood isn't all that concerned with acting. They get what they want and actors can't be blamed for doing what it takes to get the job, nor can beautiful people who can't act be blamed. But acting is still a lot harder than people think. Just learning the lines and going through the motions is more than a lot of people could or would do. Most of the serious actors go for the stage and I think it's always been than way.

Take two - People who pay $20 plus for a steak can probably afford it. You are paying for a lot more than just the meat.

Take three - You can't beat a home grilled burger or steak.
    Last edited by Runnin; 01-21-2018 at 01:49 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

weso1 (01-29-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Rarely have I had a steak at a restaurant that is better than I can make. But the times I have had better steaks at a restaurant, they've been some pretty incredible steaks or prime rib (which I've never made). I never get a steak at a chain restaurant unless it's a place like Ruth Chris or some other high end chain restaurant.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Maybe you can replicate the $20 steak for $8, or the $12 steak for $4, but I guarantee you can’t replicate the $45 dry-aged steak on your porch or in your home.

Both your takes fall apart when you look at the ceiling, or even the upper two quintiles, because you’re way too focused on the floor, or the bottom quintile, of performance.
    Last edited by jpx7; 01-21-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (01-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The problem on the first point is that your floor is too high. I completely disagree that the worst Hollywood actor can act better than a random joe. The worst Hollywood actor is like me if I tried to be an mlb player. I would look like a complete moron even if mlb stated that every pitcher had to intentionally walk me every at bat. I would stand up there with my bat and look worse than the worst hitting pitcher. That's what the worst hollywood actor is like.

Is there any other profession where you can mostly only choose people who are good looking, or at least greatly reduce the talent pool based purely on looks? Sure, maybe a Tom Brady and a Jeter falls through the cracks, but that leaves out Drew Brees, Petyon Manning, Babe Ruth, Randy Johnson, etc. Daniel Day Lewis is respected way too much, because the floor is way too high.

Also, I still wouldn't order the $15 steak because I know that I could make that at home. If I'm at a restaurant I'm going to order a thing that I don't think I can make at home. I've also never had a steak I can't replicate. While I've never had a suis vid steak, I can't justify the price difference based on the price. I could literally cook $5 NY Strip steaks on my own that taste as good as any steak I've every had at a restaurant. Is a suis vid steak $25ish better?
    Sorry but you're wrong. You go on set and you can't act with the worst actor. When you look at most worst actor lists they're people who were famous for something else before trying acting. Sure you can get work as an actor in Hollywood for being attractive, but eventually that well runs dry very quickly. When you look at a lot of worst actor lists they often include people who aren't bad actors. Nicholas Cage and Adam Sandler aren't bad actors. They turn in bad roles, but people forget that Nicholas Cage has turned in outstand roles as well. Soemtimes people take gigs for money. Not all bad acting gigs are the actors fault. SOmetimes they're the studios/directors fault.

As far as the last point, all food has a severe uptick in cost when you go to a restaurant. 3 bucks for fries only contains about 50 cents worth of product. 10 bucks worth of burger contains about 2. Any restaurant worth their salt has their pure food costs at about 20%. Because they have to pay utilities on the restaurant, they have to pay for those tables and chairs you're sitting in, rent/mortgage/taxes, the server, the busser, the host, the kitchen, the dishwasher, the cost of all kinds of equipment and their upkeep, the cost of dozens of other things you may not think about like linen service and more. And they aren't doing this for free, they would like to leave with some money as well at the end of the day. So they need to take some of that home as well. Add in waste which is gigantic cause no one wants to pay 10 bucks for a burger with a brown spot on the lettuce.

Eating out shouldn't be a competition to how you cook at home. Cause there is no cost comparison.
    Last edited by zitothebrave; 01-22-2018 at 09:15 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Weso has been on a roll lately.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Eating out shouldn't be a competition to how you cook at home. Cause there is no cost comparison.
    Well that was rude.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Maybe you can replicate the $20 steak for $8, or the $12 steak for $4, but I guarantee you can’t replicate the $45 dry-aged steak on your porch or in your home.

Both your takes fall apart when you look at the ceiling, or even the upper two quintiles, because you’re way too focused on the floor, or the bottom quintile, of performance.
    My argument isn't that you can replicate any restaurant steak. It's that you should not order a steak at a restaurant. If you are going to spend $45 on a single menu item at a fancy restaurant then why spend that on a steak? I think you're better off ordering something more unique.

Although I did come up with an exception to my rule. At an all inclusive resort type situation you should clearly order the steak.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Sorry but you're wrong. You go on set and you can't act with the worst actor. When you look at most worst actor lists they're people who were famous for something else before trying acting. Sure you can get work as an actor in Hollywood for being attractive, but eventually that well runs dry very quickly. When you look at a lot of worst actor lists they often include people who aren't bad actors. Nicholas Cage and Adam Sandler aren't bad actors. They turn in bad roles, but people forget that Nicholas Cage has turned in outstand roles as well. Soemtimes people take gigs for money. Not all bad acting gigs are the actors fault. SOmetimes they're the studios/directors fault.
    They are terrible actors. In what other profession can children be compared to their peers? There have been multiple child actors nominated for oscars. Nominated along with what is supposed to be the best of the best of their profession.
    thank you weso1!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Hot Take: Chick Fil A sauce is the GOAT.

Also kudos weso for bringing the hot take thread back.
    Forever Fredi

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Next week's Super Blue Blood Moon will not be blue or bloody. I know what a blue moon is but throwing all those terms together confuses the image. It isn't necessary. It's trying too hard to make another full moon especially interesting. Super Shadow Moon works for me.

I've never been fully on board with the "blue" moon. Why blue? A 2nd full moon seems like a good thing.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    My argument isn't that you can replicate any restaurant steak. It's that you should not order a steak at a restaurant. If you are going to spend $45 on a single menu item at a fancy restaurant then why spend that on a steak? I think you're better off ordering something more unique.

Although I did come up with an exception to my rule. At an all inclusive resort type situation you should clearly order the steak.
    You’ve clearly never eaten a spectacularly-prepared month-plus-dry-aged steak.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Throw some Chick-Fil-A Sauce with any rare/medium-rare steak and its' all good.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

Not really. All-inclusive resorts are mostly in the Caribbean, and their food tends to suck because they lack the availability of fresh meat (well cows anyways). I've been to several resorts and any kind of beef entrees are pretty terrible for the most part. The burgers taste like soy burgers and the steaks are generally frozen low quality steaks.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

weso1 (01-29-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Hot Take: Chick Fil A sauce is the GOAT.

Also kudos weso for bringing the hot take thread back.
    +1 on the Chick Fil A sauce.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (01-28-2018)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    +1 on the Chick Fil A sauce.
    Usually carry like 4-5 packages in my dashboard glovebox.

Have the catering containers at home. They go well with any sandwhiches, burritos, etc I make.
    Forever Fredi