Thread: Possible Takers for Adams

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Adams to Cleveland for Yandy Diaz.
    Hmm, you may be into something there. Braves would likely have to kick in extra, but I like the idea of buying low on Diaz and try to get him to hit more fly balls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Adams for Yandy is crazy one sided
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Nobody wants Adams. We would have trade him last season if that was the case.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    MLBTR compiled a list of all non-tender candidates: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...andidates.html

Would it make sense to trade MAdams to the Rays for Miller? He could slide over to 3b for a projected $4.4m.

Certainly not my preferred choice to fix 3b, but if the Braves can’t clear much payroll he could be a palatable addition.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    MLBTR compiled a list of all non-tender candidates: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...andidates.html

Would it make sense to trade MAdams to the Rays for Miller? He could slide over to 3b for a projected $4.4m.

Certainly not my preferred choice to fix 3b, but if the Braves can’t clear much payroll he could be a palatable addition.
    I’d rather non tender him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I’d rather non tender him.
    I think you’re probably right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    A quick look at supply and demand for first basemen.

The free agents: Hosmer, Santana, Duda, Morrison, Alonzo, Moreland, Napoli.

Teams with a need: Red Sox, Mariners, Rays, Royals, Angels.

Teams that an acquisition at first might make sense: Mets, Dodgers (if they conclude that Adrian Gonzalez should be released), Indians, Cardinals, Astros, Rockies.

There may be some additional supply available through the trade route. Abreu being the biggest name.

It seems to me there will be a market for a player like Adams. I would offer him arbitration. Teams are unlikely to make their best offer before the non-tender deadline.

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    A quick look at supply and demand for first basemen.

The free agents: Hosmer, Santana, Duda, Morrison, Alonzo, Moreland, Napoli.

Teams with a need: Red Sox, Mariners, Rays, Royals, Angels.

Teams that an acquisition at first might make sense: Mets, Dodgers (if they conclude that Adrian Gonzalez should be released), Indians, Cardinals, Astros, Rockies.

There may be some additional supply available through the trade route. Abreu being the biggest name.

It seems to me there will be a market for a player like Adams. I would offer him arbitration. Teams are unlikely to make their best offer before the non-tender deadline.

Just traded for Ryon Healy and have Cruz as their DH - why would they want Adams now?

Abreu would seem to make a lot of sense for Boston - much less expensive than Hosmer's going to be, and would leave them money to spend on their rotation. Can't imagine they'll spend big on another arm (Darvish/Arrieta level), but adding Abreu and one of Lynn or Cobb would make them an awfully tough out.

Can't imagine the Dodgers move Bellinger off 1B at this point, and even if they don't land Stanton Verdugo's ready.

If Boston does pass on Hosmer, I'd expect the Cards and Rockies to be the highest bidders for him.

Not sure we could expect much of a return at all without including something else or paying his salary (as you guys have pointed out), but if the Angels, Mutts, Rays, Royals, or Rockies would take him you have to jump.

Keep hearing that KC has every intention of bringing both Hosmer and Moustakas back, but can't imagine they can come close unless they're willing to leave bags of money on the table.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just traded for Ryon Healy and have Cruz as their DH - why would they want Adams now?

Abreu would seem to make a lot of sense for Boston - much less expensive than Hosmer's going to be, and would leave them money to spend on their rotation. Can't imagine they'll spend big on another arm (Darvish/Arrieta level), but adding Abreu and one of Lynn or Cobb would make them an awfully tough out.

Can't imagine the Dodgers move Bellinger off 1B at this point, and even if they don't land Stanton Verdugo's ready.

If Boston does pass on Hosmer, I'd expect the Cards and Rockies to be the highest bidders for him.

Not sure we could expect much of a return at all without including something else or paying his salary (as you guys have pointed out), but if the Angels, Mutts, Rays, Royals, or Rockies would take him you have to jump.

Keep hearing that KC has every intention of bringing both Hosmer and Moustakas back, but can't imagine they can come close unless they're willing to leave bags of money on the table.
    Good catch on the M's. The Healy trade slipped my mind. I think the Dodgers like the flexibility of playing Bellinger in the outfield under certain circumstances. Which potentially makes them a shopper for a first baseman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hosmer returns to the Royals. I suspect his market will be somewhat limited. I think Santana makes the most sense for the Red Sox. He can play left or first. If they get Santana, they might also have interest in someone like Adams. Similar to the Dodgers with Bellinger, Santana in left would be a good option for them under some circumstances.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-28-2017 at 11:30 AM.

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Looking at our other arbitration eligible players Sam Freeman sticks out as a sell high/trade candidate. I'm not sure of his value around the league, but packaging him with Adams may get a better return and be one less arbitration case we have to deal with.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts

I actually like Miller (probably more as a super utility guy than an everyday player), but he’s only played a total of 8 games in his career at 3B and none since 2015. I’m not sure why that is, considering he’s a natural SS and can play every other position. Is he just that bad over there?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I actually like Miller (probably more as a super utility guy than an everyday player), but he’s only played a total of 8 games in his career at 3B and none since 2015. I’m not sure why that is, considering he’s a natural SS and can play every other position. Is he just that bad over there?
    I think it has more to do with the fact he was an average SS, so he played SS with the Ms. When he went to TB he wasn't going to move Longoria off 3B, so they tried to get his bat in the lineup in other ways.

Having said that, I doubt this trade makes much sense. Both teams would likely be better off simply non-tendering each player and signing a similar player for less cash.

It's just so slow while Ohtani and Stanton hold the offseason hostage that I'm resorting to looking through every other teams' offseason situation.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'd be in on Miller because he'd clearly be an upgrade over either Jace Peterson or Danny Santana. Pretty good LH bat off the bench who would need work at 3B to play there regularly, but could be a nice piece in the machine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    It still feels like a weird dream that we moved Freddie Freeman to third base to accommodate Matt Adams, if only for a few weeks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    It still feels like a weird dream that we moved Freddie Freeman to third base to accommodate Matt Adams, if only for a few weeks.
    What's even weirder is half the posters here thought MAdams was suddenly a valuable player after 100 insane PAs with the Braves, and now that he is about to be given away they are all dead silent on the issue.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Hosmer is a possibility of his asking price cokes down.
    Can Chip sign him?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Stros shopping Fiers. A trade for Adams makes some sense for both team.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Stros shopping Fiers. A trade for Adams makes some sense for both team.
    I don’t thought similarly with Miller and the Rays, but then I realized both teams could just wait until the other player was non-tendered and sign him for less. So why bother making the trade?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I don’t thought similarly with Miller and the Rays, but then I realized both teams could just wait until the other player was non-tendered and sign him for less. So why bother making the trade?
    The traditional reason is that you wanted to obtain certain control over the player rather than risk there being multiple bidders.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The traditional reason is that you wanted to obtain certain control over the player rather than risk there being multiple bidders.
    If there were multiple bidders at $5M he wouldn’t be non-tendered. If a team wants him for $5M they can have him for any warm body.

Seriously, why is this so hard to grasp?