Page 26 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    y'all should we read the "why i didn't report" hashtag on twitter. there are thousands of reasons. a lot of times, the accuser will face harsher punishment than the accused. especially if the accused has more power. sound familiar? no? smh.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    ^.
    kavanaugh is not "being fired."
    he's up for a lifetime appointment to the supreme court. i'd say judgement is somewhat important. but that's just me.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i've seen privileged people get away with things non-privileged people wouldn't be able to, correct. pretty frequently, in my personal life and also just in general. it's extremely common. i'm sure you're very unbiased, tho.
    I'm not sure where you assume to know my position considering I've just posted twice in the thread, but ok.

I have zero doubt that privileged people can get away with more. It doesn't change what happened though and it doesn't guarantee it happened in this case. It either did or didn't happen. It will be based on hearsay (most likely) without evidence. Slippery slope that is.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    so, a couple friends list kavanaugh as a nice guy. therefore, he didn't do what others with nothing to gain except death threats are accusing him of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    kavanaugh is not "being fired."
    he's up for a lifetime appointment to the supreme court. i'd say judgement is somewhat important. but that's just me.
    You are being obtuse. Those "other people" in his example aren't likely up for a supreme court nomination unless they pulled it together. I was using an example relating to his anecdote.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'm not sure where you assume to know my position considering I've just posted twice in the thread, but ok.

I have zero doubt that privileged people DO get away with more. It doesn't change what happened though and it doesn't guarantee it happened in this case. It either did or didn't happen. It will be based on hearsay (most likely) without evidence. Slippery slope that is.
    fixed.
    and guarantee? maybe not. pretty likely? yup.
    i have zero fear of ever being accused of something like this. the accusations are credible and supported by other people, also with nothing to gain.
    and we already know kavanaugh is a liar. you still support him, tho. but i couldn't possibly know your position.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You are being obtuse. Those "other people" in his example aren't likely up for a supreme court nomination unless they pulled it together. I was using an example relating to his anecdote.
    credible allegations like these should be disqualifying for the position he's looking to get.
    that's all that matters.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    white and rich, mostly.
    Given that you are white (in case you had forgotten), do you basically just mean people that more financially secure/more successful than you? I’m speaking within your construct (‘I’ve seen - in my personal life’) here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    It's worth remembering that his virginity has nothing to do with the two claims against him. He could be guilty of both and still remained a virgin into this 30s.
    It makes it extremely unlikely that he was a sexual predator as some have claimed, and dismisses the absurd Avenatti claims.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    fixed.
    and guarantee? maybe not. pretty likely? yup.
    i have zero fear of ever being accused of something like this. the accusations are credible and supported by other people, also with nothing to gain.
    and we already know kavanaugh is a liar. you still support him, tho. but i couldn't possibly know your position.
    I don't give a **** if he's appointed or not. Do you still think you know my position? He's a nats fan, so **** him.

What I do give a rats ass about is being "convicted" (not the literal sense mind you) by hearsay.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    ^.
    I would have personal knowledge in those cases, having seen the guys who OD'd stetchered off and the dealer snorting away his profits. But if my roommate had told me about these things, I would feel confident in relaying them if asked about the individuals in question. My roommate would not make up stuff like that.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would have personal knowledge in those cases, having seen the guys who OD'd stetchered off and the dealer snorting away his profits. But if my roommate had told me about these things, I would feel confident in relaying them if asked about the individuals in question. My roommate would not make up stuff like that.
    Quite the crowd you ran with! Lets hope you don't run for office!

Kidding-BUT what if your roommate was drunk or received drugs from said dealer. You are basing your testimony on the thoughts and recounts of a druggie\alcoholic who saw something sometime, but wasn't sure when or where.

See how that works

FTR, I don't like this guy that much and there are likely far better candidates. But how this is playing out is a VERY dangerous game in all aspects. If he's guilty of this he shouldn't be appointed and will likely be shunned for life by his friends and family. Lot on the line.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-25-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    It makes it extremely unlikely that he was a sexual predator as some have claimed, and dismisses the absurd Avenatti claims.
    Actually the two are quite consistent. Playing amateur psychoanalyst I would say he was shy and socially awkward and immature when it came to women. He came out of his shell in an ugly way when drunk. That sort of profile is entirely consistent with someone who is unable to form a meaningful relationship with women until a later point in his life.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    roy moore was innocent too.
    he's a republican after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's just another example of a supposedly "smart" guy with a total inability to think outside the box. It's reminiscent of Bill Clinton's "It wasn't sex. It was fellatio."
    He was replying to Avenatti accusing him of running a gang rape ring.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quite the crowd you ran with! Lets hope you don't run for office!

Kidding-BUT what if your roommate was drunk or received drugs from said dealer. You are basing your testimony on the thoughts and recounts of a druggie\alcoholic who saw something sometime, but wasn't sure when or where.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on one's perspective), I did things later in life that are disqualifying.

But my roommate never did. He has lived an upright stable life (as far as I can tell). But he did witness certain things. His testimony would be unimpeachable.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-25-2018 at 09:18 AM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Dr. Ford didn't just suddenly mention this now, either. She told a therapist about it in, what, 2012? her husband knew about it. she decided to come forward publicly once he was nominated, seeing that it's, you know, pretty huge.
    to think this was simply concocted out of thin air is, i guess, exactly what i expect from certain people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Actually the two are quite consistent. Playing amateur psychoanalyst I would say he was shy and socially awkward and immature when it came to women. He came out of his shell in an ugly way when drunk. That sort of profile is entirely consistent with someone who is unable to form a meaningful relationship with women until a later point in his life.
    I think there's a lot of amateur psychoanalyzing going on and that's a lot of the problem I have with this. A lot of it is just based on the fact that Kavanaugh was a white guy with money. Lots of people have a picture in their mind of what that type of person is like and assuming that narrative his true. And I can't help but think that it's possible that some of the hearsay is based on that.
    thank you weso1!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on one's perspective), I did things later in life that are disqualifying.

But my roommate never did. He has lived an upright stable life (as far as I can tell). But he did witness certain things. His testimony would be unimpeachable.
    All testimony is impeachable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Dr. Ford didn't just suddenly mention this now, either. She told a therapist about it in, what, 2012? her husband knew about it. she decided to come forward publicly once he was nominated, seeing that it's, you know, pretty huge.
    to think this was simply concocted out of thin air is, i guess, exactly what i expect from certain people.
    I think in both the Ford and Ramirez cases it is pretty clear something did happen. And it is equally clear that Kavanaugh's categorical denials are lies.

"I am your retribution."