Page 62 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 3063

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    the perfect the enemy of the good
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    "Somewhere in America, a teenage boy is listening to his parents convict Brett Kavanaugh and he is thinking, if I'm ever accused, with no witnesses or evidence, everyone will just assume I'm guilty."
    indeed

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0876edaa34a89

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

simply incredible.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    4% of of allegations are false.
    an overwhelming number are not reported.
    ford's allegation is far, far, far more likely to be one than the other.
    false allegations are rare. it barely happens.
    allegations didn't happen to gorsuch. why? probably because he was never involved in anything like that.

it bares repeating that ford's allegation didn't come out of no where. it wasn't something she randomly said happened when kavanaugh was announced. the fact that so many (@Jaw) ignore this floors me. she had disclosed it before. there's corroboration that this behavior wasn't outlandish for this guy. if you're a POS, privileged drunkard who's openly misogynistic in yearbook posts and routinely get so blitzed that you likely forget things and get accused by multiple people of this type of behavior? yeah, i will believe you did it. it's all too common. but by all means, ignore the full scope if it helps you sleep while still claiming religious. jokes man.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post

simply incredible.
    Wow, if that's true.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    What is this?

BREAKING: Chief SCOTUS Justice Orders New Kavanaugh Investigation
    Tasha Davis- Political Writer - October 10, 2018

Brett Kavanaugh thought he slipped through the cracks of the American justice system after being confirmed into the Supreme Court of the United States whilst having multiple women accusing him of sexual assault, and even rape. He assumed that his troubles were all over after the president apologized to him from the nation for forcing him to testify to the claims of Christine Blasey Ford.

Now, it appears that his nightmares aren’t quite over because people aren’t going to forget what happened with the rigged FBI investigation that was sabotaged by Trump himself. Chief Justice John Roberts has reportedly built a case against Kavanaugh through a series of complaints that he has now turned into a whole new investigation of the scandal-clad judge.

This is unprecedented, as a Supreme Court Justice has never ordered the investigation of one of his fellow justices. According to Washington Post:

“A judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit — the court on which Kavanaugh serves — passed on to Roberts a string of complaints the court received starting three weeks ago, said four people familiar with the matter.”

“That judge, Karen LeCraft Henderson, had dismissed other complaints against Kavanaugh as frivolous, but she concluded that some were substantive enough that they should not be handled by Kavanaugh’s fellow judges in the D.C. Circuit.”

The report continues:

“The situation is highly unusual, legal experts and several people familiar with the matter said. Never before has a Supreme Court nominee been poised to join the court while a fellow judge recommends that a series of misconduct claims against that nominee warrant review.”

Fox News’ Bret Baier announced on Wednesday that, “Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts is asking federal judges outside the beltway to investigate complaints over statements made by now-Justice Brett Kavanaugh during his contentious nomination. Roberts says he received the ethics complaints beginning September 20th, but did not act on referrals until today.”

WaPo continues:

“Roberts’s decision not to immediately refer the cases to another appeals court has caused some concern in the legal community. Now that he has been confirmed, the details of the complaints may not become public and instead may be dismissed, legal experts say. Supreme Court justices are not subject to the misconduct rules governing these claims.”

New York University Law School professor Stephanie Gillers says that there’s no way around another investigation:

“If Justice Roberts sits on the complaints, then they will reside in a kind of purgatory and will never be adjudicated. This is not how the rules anticipated the process would work.”
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    "Somewhere in America, a teenage boy is listening to his parents convict Brett Kavanaugh and he is thinking, if I'm ever accused, with no witnesses or evidence, everyone will just assume I'm guilty."
    hahahahaha

thanks for the laugh
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    4% of of allegations are false.
    an overwhelming number are not reported.
    ford's allegation is far, far, far more likely to be one than the other.
    false allegations are rare. it barely happens.
    allegations didn't happen to gorsuch. why? probably because he was never involved in anything like that.

it bares repeating that ford's allegation didn't come out of no where. it wasn't something she randomly said happened when kavanaugh was announced. the fact that so many (@Jaw) ignore this floors me. she had disclosed it before. there's corroboration that this behavior wasn't outlandish for this guy. if you're a POS, privileged drunkard who's openly misogynistic in yearbook posts and routinely get so blitzed that you likely forget things and get accused by multiple people of this type of behavior? yeah, i will believe you did it. it's all too common. but by all means, ignore the full scope if it helps you sleep while still claiming religious. jokes man.
    My stance on this continues to get twisted for partisan purposes. I haven't said he is innocent. I haven't even said I think he's innocent. I've said it would be an injustice to penalize him on so flimsy of an accusation.

Anyone who disagrees really needs to consider how they would feel if they were accused of the same crime, in the same vague time frame, with the same failure of the named witnesses to corroborate any part of the accusation.

I said plainly that I couldn't have voted Roy Moore because it was obvious he had a problem based on multiple plausible and corroborated reports. The vague allegation mentioned above is considered the most plausible accusation against Kavanaugh, and I just can't believe that people are such cheerleaders for their party that they would use that to presume a man is guilty.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nat...219918265.html

There has been a ruling in the ethics standoff involving the death penalty case of the accussd USS Cole bombing. In a death penalty case there must be a defense attorney with experience in death penalty cases. The 3 civilian attorneys quit after finding microphones in the room where they met with their client. The General overseeing these trials signed off on them quitting. The judge got pissed amd held the General in contempt of court. The General told the judge to **** off as he has no authority over him and the contempt charge was overruled by another judge. The original judge stopped the trial until rulings were made on the lawyers quitting and the contempt charge.

A military review panel sided with the original judge saying the General had no authority to dismiss the lawyers but that the judge had no power to hold him in contempt. They also ruled that they dont care about the government listening to lawyers meeting with their clients as the rules only apply when the government wants to honor them.

So the 3 lawyers are ordered to defend this person but 1 lawyer has a restraining order against the pentagon that blocks them from arresting him and forcibly taking him to the court room and the other 2 are suing to block it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Lets talk about innocent until proven guilty.

https://medium.com/@ShaunKing/soul-s...3-1b6307828eb6

Heres the case of Pedro Hernandez. The article has plenty of evidence and is a good read so I am just going to summarize. Detective David Terrell got the phone number of Hernandez's mother from a report involving her oldest son. He started calling her and trying to discuss anything but police matters. 5 other women have gone on record saying Officer Terrell sexually harrassed them and offered to stop targeting their kids if they had sex with him. Pedro's mother had to change her phone number to get him to stop. Thats when NYPD started targeting her youngest son Pedro.

Pedro was standing on a corner talking to friends next to a double parked car. Police pulled up in a unmarked car and told Pedro to get into the car. Pedro told them he lived close by and did not need a ride anywhere. They kept telling him to get in the car so eventually he does. The car goes to leave and as soon as it starts moving the cops turn the lights on and pull the car over. The Cops then say they smell marijuana in the car. They arrest everyone. At the police station they tell Pedro there was a gun in the car and everyone else said it was his, which was a lie. He was transported around to a few facilities until he was at a Non secure detention facility which is just a house surrounded by guards. He was there for 16 days. While there one of the cops forces Pedro into a closet and starts beating him while another cop prevented the other kids from stopping him. Dont believe me? Heres the video.

The director of the house fired the criminal cop and sent the video to the DA who promptly did nothing. 20 months after having received the evidence a private detective for the family who was a former NYPD cop got a hold of the video and sent it to the media. Now after 20 months the DA finally charged the cop who beat Pedro.

This was just the start. Pedro gets bounced around more facilities before they eventually dropped the charges because they had no evidence. Thats when the real **** begins. On July 12th, 2015 a 15 year old kid Tyrese was shot in the leg. Officer Terrell insisted to Tyrese that he identify Pedro as the shooter.

Now having the victim specifically tell the cops it was not Pedro and he had never seen him before in his life they issue a media alert naming him as the prime suspect and asking for information about his location despite knowing where he lives.

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*VgyRYRDAQe1n5TLWdoFU8w.png[/IMG]

Pedro's mother brought him to the police station for questioning the next day. When she does they immediately arrest him and charge him with second degree attempted murder and numerous other felonies. Its never even taken before a grand jury because they had no evidence and the victim specifically said it wasnt him. Pedro is 15 years old at this point. In jail facing 9 serious felonies. After 6 days he is released but the charges still pending. From July 2015 to Febuary 2016 they got to 5 court hearings before the charges are finally dropped. The dismissal document is in the article.

Oh but this is still just the beginning. On September 12th 2015 Pedro is riding his bike when cops drive up on him, pointing their guns at him they arrest him for another attempted murder saying he fit the description of the suspect. The first witness literally says "thats not him" and the second witness says she didnt have her prescription eyeglasses on so she cant tell. He spent a week in jail before being bailed out by his mother. 8 months later in May 2016 the charges are again dropped.

Now the first attempted murder charge was dropped on Febuary 29th 2016. On March 1st 2016 he was again arrested for attempted murder but this time there wasnt even an actual victim. Why and how does this keep happening you might ask. What they were doing was harassing and threatening another man named William Stevens. The private detective started realizing something was up because after every charge he easily found evidence proving Pedro was innocent. Which means the cops either had that information and still proceeded or there was no actual investigation because they didnt want exculpatory evidence. The big break came when Pedro and his family were given a court document naming William Stevens as the witness against Pedro. When the DA realized what happened he ran over to Pedro, grabbed the paper and ripped it up. Thats when the private detective really knew something fishy was going on. Here is the interview of Stevens by the local media.

Now in September 2016 the third attempted murder charge was dropped. So now this is the 3rd attempted murder charge he has faced over 2 years that never went to trial and charges were eventually dismissed. On May 3rd 2016 he was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Here is video of the "disorderly conduct" and "resisting arrest".

Now on June 7th 2016 he is again arrested. This time for armed robbery for stealing a backpack from William Stevens said to contain 5 thousand dollars..... Officer Terrell again coerced William Stevens to sign a statement alleging this with threats of harassment and violence. The private investigator was a smart cookie and noticed that in none of the numerous statements Williams Stevens has given against Pedro could he identify anything Pedro was wearing. Through security footage the PD was able to find what he was wearing on the day of the armed robbery and it was very loud clothing that would stand out if he had robbed you. To add to this Pedro was actually getting his haircut at the time of the alleged robbery and his barber testified to that. Beyond that Pedro was texting with his girlfriend all night. After spending more time in jail these charges are dropped in November 2016.

Its not over yet! Pedro was again arrested for attempted murder on July 14th 2016 of Shawn Nardoni. On September 1st 2015 Shawn Nardoni was shot. Witnesses identified the shooter who they knew by name who was a known menace in the area. Almost a year passes until they decide to arrest Pedro knowing full well they have multiple witnesses who told them who the shooter was. This time the DA asked for a 250,000 bail and that the family be personally required to pay the whole thing as opposed to 10%. Why? The DA referenced all the charges he had faced that were dropped...... This time they got Pedro before a judge so biased in favor of the prosecution that 7 public defenders in the area said he acted as an extension of the prosecution rather than as a judge. This time instead of going to juvenile facilities they sent him to Rikers prison with a bail they couldnt possibly afford. While there he has been attacked and forced to defend himself. He got pepper sprayed by guards and left untreated so he now has vision problems requiring glasses.

While the shooting victim Nardoni was in the hospital he was paid a visit by our good friend Officer Terrell who threatened him if he didnt identify Pedro as the shooter. When Nardoni refused Officer Terrell arrested him and he spent 3 days in jail. Here is his statement on the incident.

With 7 witnesses identifying Charles Holmes as the shooter Officer Terrell hit the streets trying to terrorize people into giving false statements against Pedro. Here are several peoples accounts.

Despite all this the cops involved and the DA are still on the job. Terrell is currently serving as a court cop because of a domestic violence incident. Yeah, thats right cops get away with beating their wives and get reassigned to court duty......

Now you think this is over? Nah. Now they arrested Pedro's mother. They pulled her over saying she ran a yellow or red light. Her charge? Endangering her children. Heres video of her arrest.

She spent 2 days in jail, officer Terrell made sure to stop by to taunt her. The charges were held over her for 2 years before being dropped but not before they made a complaint with CPS. CPS found the allegations to be unwarranted but anytime someone makes a complaint CPS claims the right to come into your home at any point they want to investigate just because a complaint was filed, even if that complaint is false.

Pedro spent over a year at Rikers and the DA tried to get him to take a plea deal that would have given him time served and probation but he would get to go home immediately. I know some people like thethe cant fathom this situation but if you spent a year in Rikers my bet is 90% of us would sign anything that would get us out that day.

This happens because there is no legitimate oversight over cops. Who do you call when cops are the criminals? Call more cops who are likely more interested in covering up for those cops than protecting you?

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Yall dont want to talk about innocent

Here is the story of a former marine.

Spent 6 months in prison on bogus gun charges and was senied any bail because he was said to be too dangerous because he posted unsympathetic messages on social media about dead cops. This is a rigged system. He lost 6 months of his life and was made a slave without nreaking any law. Despite not breaking any law the cops still win.because they got to incarcerate him for 6 months and no one responsible is going to be held accountable. Even if he sues and wins its not coming from the cops money, its taxpayer money he gets. While in prison they tried to.get him to take a plea deal. This is the game they play and its always a win win scenario for them. Put you in jail on bogus charges then offer to let you go home if you take a plea deal so they dont have to actually prove your guilt. It works a lot of the time.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1601134002/

Believe all women..... except the ones molested by TSA. Because feeling up a 15 year old girls vagina is for your safety.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    While it is true that these cases aren’t technically abortion cases in the jurisprudential sense

https://www.thecut.com/2018/12/why-d...124.1543363791

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    While it is true that these cases aren’t technically abortion cases in the jurisprudential sense

https://www.thecut.com/2018/12/why-d...124.1543363791
    It's a good bet Kavanaugh will end up being center of Thomas, Gorsuch, and Alito. Probably closer to center than anyone on the court not named Roberts. That's not to say he's not going to be very conservative, just less extreme on the spectrum than other justices.

Honestly he's probably the best the left could hope for.

As for those cases, the fact that they're more statutory interpretation makes it unsurprising there was some conservative defection. The strict construction view can lead to deciding for policies you don't agree with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...tation/576595/

This is one of the more interesting cases this term but it hasn't gotten a ton of press. I'm interested to see people's reactions as it's not something that necessarily splits easily on partisan lines.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, that’s quite interesting. My only contribution is to say that “disorderly conduct” is almost always a bull**** charge.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, that’s quite interesting. My only contribution is to say that “disorderly conduct” is almost always a bull**** charge.
    It's a catchall for any behavior the cop doesn't like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Apparently Kamala Harris doesn't think women should be careful not to excessively drink so that they can avoid predators.

Rao gave a completely logical answer and Kamala of course provided a pathetic interpretation to state that Rao is blaming women for sexual assault. How can anyone take her seriously after what she did with Kavanaugh and now Rao. Pathetic.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Apparently Kamala Harris doesn't think women should be careful not to excessively drink so that they can avoid predators.

Rao gave a completely logical answer and Kamala of course provided a pathetic interpretation to state that Rao is blaming women for sexual assault. How can anyone take her seriously after what she did with Kavanaugh and now Rao. Pathetic.
    The idea here is that women should be able to do as they damn well please without being raped. It might be pragmatic given the world we live in, but the impetus to change should be on those committing the crimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    The idea here is that women should be able to do as they damn well please without being raped. It might be pragmatic given the world we live in, but the impetus to change should be on those committing the crimes.
    I think its very reasonable to bring up the point that women should take their safety into their own hands.

We look both ways when we cross to ensure there aren't any drunk/speeding cars to kill us.

The reality of our world is that there are too many sick predators out there and their actions are made easier when a women doesn't have her wits about her. This is not rocket science and something that I would hope every single parent would teach their daughters.
    Natural Immunity Croc