Page 15 of 154 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I am at the point where I just assume any bible thumper is a pedophile, rapist, or is some other kind of monster. Specifically the ones who say "if you dont believe in Jesus then how do I know you wont go around kiling amd raping people". Anyone that needs religion to tell them that is a dangerous person.
    Kavanaugh is a privileged prep schooler (sub category jock of the hard drinking variety) not a bible thumper

so a different set of stereotypes apply
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    John Aravosis
    ����
    ‏Verified account @aravosis
    4h4 hours ago

Chuck Todd notes this morning:

How did Kavanaugh categorically deny being at the party where

Prof. Ford says the attack occurred, when Ford never mentioned

which party it was or even what date it was?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I’m a Democrat and don’t want Kavenaugh. However I don’t get why an allegation this old about something that happened in high school is relevant.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    What a joke

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think setting it up as a public he said/she said is a lose/lose proposition. If Mark Judge doesn’t testify, such a proceeding would be pretty worthless. An investigation would probably be of more probative value. Republicans don’t want that because their largest concern is the clock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    What's the investigation supposed to be?

She didn't/couldn't give any specific details. FBI is supposed to go back 35 years and find out everyone who partied back then?

Can the FBI even do that in search of a crime against a minor 35 years later?

This is nothing but a stunt. If she won't testify, vote proceeds, he gets confirmed, dems claim repubs support rapists, and she goes on a book tour

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    What a joke

The details she can provide are scant, the one person she named as a witness denies knowledge, and now she won't testify without a long delay.

I don't know if it's a political stunt, but I know it looks like a political stunt.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    What's the investigation supposed to be?

She didn't/couldn't give any specific details. FBI is supposed to go back 35 years and find out everyone who partied back then?

Can the FBI even do that in search of a crime against a minor 35 years later?

This is nothing but a stunt. If she won't testify, vote proceeds, he gets confirmed, dems claim repubs support rapists, and she goes on a book tour
    This is an example of how the right freaks out when faced with reality. "It's a stunt."

Are you saying that this woman cares so much about stopping Roe vs Wade being overturned that she made the whole thing up? And made it up back in 2012 when she told her therapist about it?

This is a lose/lose for the GOP. If they ram Kavanaugh through it will be equivalent to constitutional rape and the public will hold them accountable for years. Clarence Thomas was a mistake and this will be seen as another example of the ruling elite doing whatever it wants.

If Kavanaugh bows out, as he should and will eventually, the GOP base is gonna blame Trump. McConnell tried to warn him about nominating Kavanaugh and Trump went with his ego.

It wouldn't take the FBI long to gather some basic info to support or disclaim. Seems like Ford wanting the FBI to investigate scares the GOP. "She's telling the truth!"
    Last edited by Runnin; 09-19-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    "constitutional rape"

First time I have seen that term.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I do wonder if the flimsiness of this allegation is the reason that Feinstein didn't pursue it sooner. She had no choice but to hop on board once someone else was able to get a copy out into the wild, but you know she was looking at this thing like a live grenade while it was only up to her.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    "constitutional rape" First time I have seen that term.
    With Kavanaugh being jammed into the system without full vetting and against common sense, the image is unfortunate, but impossible to miss.

If this "stunt" is legal and within constitutional rules, I'm all for it. Was refusing to vote on Merrick Garland not "a stunt"? Was the GOP's opposition to ACA not one giant political stunt, especially when they had no replacement? How about Trump's NK summit, the tarriffs, getting out of NAFTA, etc.?

I'd like to see more stunts from the Dems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    With Kavanaugh being jammed into the system without full vetting and against common sense, the image is unfortunate, but impossible to miss.

If this "stunt" is legal and within constitutional rules, I'm all for it. Was refusing to vote on Merrick Garland not "a stunt"? Was the GOP's opposition to ACA not one giant political stunt, especially when they had no replacement? How about Trump's NK summit, the tarriffs, getting out of NAFTA, etc.?

I'd like to see more stunts from the Dems.
    I dislike your use of the term because enough of this would lessen the impact of the word "rape," similar to how the impact of "racism" has been lessened.

Garland was obviously a stunt, but not one that sought to accuse him of a crime. I am surprised that someone I respect as much as you would lump the two together.

The GOP's opposition to ACA was based around keeping the federal government out of the health insurance industry, so a replacement plan would have been strange.

Are you unhappy with the terms of the new agreement with Mexico?
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    ... the flimsiness of this allegation .
    My hometown is deep, as in up to their neck deep, in abusive priest scandals
    For so long the allegations of catholic priests abusing underage boys and girls were considered "flimsy"
    Claims against John Sandusky/ Bill Cosby/ Bill O / Roger Ailes etc etc etc were for so long a time were considered "flimsy"
    Nesser from MSU. Accusations for years were dismissed as "flimsy"
    Do we see a pattern emerging ?

For every Duke Lacrosse there are how many that substantiate out.

Dr Ford wants an investigation to create a level playing field. Where both parties are working off of one set facts.

Let me ask.
    If she was making a "flimsy" accusation why is she demanding a thorough investigation ?
    Wouldn't a thorough investigation reveal her "flimsy" ness ?

And why is (R) in such a hurry to ram ( hope here that word is appropriate in your eyes. I know you are conflicted with the word rape) this through

One school of thought is there is the fear that an investigation would reveal more than one instance .
    Another school of thought is Kavanaugh has proven he is a liar.
    If we have learned nothing else in the age of Trump it is lying to the FBI is a prosecutable crime
    Last edited by 57Brave; 09-19-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    In retrospect, Dr Ford should have shared her information with the FBI when they were doing their background check.

Now its a mess. Both sides have some justification for their positions. The Republicans are not being unreasonable in seeing this as an attempt by the Democrats to string out the process. And Dr Ford is not unreasonable in wanting the FBI to investigate so that it is not mostly a he said she said situation.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I find it hard to believe someone who is telling the truth is unwilling to testify that truth.

Hurts her case, in my opinion.

Bit half the country has decided he's guilty so have at it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    My hometown is deep, as in up to their neck deep, in abusive priest scandals
    For so long the allegations of catholic priests abusing underage boys and girls were considered "flimsy"
    Claims against John Sandusky/ Bill Cosby/ Bill O / Roger Ailes etc etc etc were for so long a time were considered "flimsy"
    Nesser from MSU. Accusations for years were dismissed as "flimsy"
    Do we see a pattern emerging ?

For every Duke Lacrosse there are how many that substantiate out.

Dr Ford wants an investigation to create a level playing field. Where both parties are working off of one set facts.

Let me ask.
    If she was making a "flimsy" accusation why is she demanding a thorough investigation ?
    Wouldn't a thorough investigation reveal her "flimsy" ness ?

And why is (R) in such a hurry to ram ( hope here that word is appropriate in your eyes. I know you are conflicted with the word rape) this through

One school of thought is there is the fear that an investigation would reveal more than one instance .
    Another school of thought is Kavanaugh has proven he is a liar.
    If we have learned nothing else in the age of Trump it is lying to the FBI is a prosecutable crime
    I agree that "ram" seems appropriate. So would "rush", "hurry", "expedite", etc. The goal of the Rs to get this done prior to midterms is clear.

She can't recall where or when this happened, how she got there, and the only witness she named has denied knowledge. It was over 30 years ago and hasn't been investigated so there won't be a scrap of forensic evidence, so it's clear there won't be any type of "beyond a reasonable doubt" outcome. There is no shot at proving him guilty or at proving her story to be false. So the obvious goal of demanding a "thorough" investigation is to stall the process.

One school of thought is there is the fear that an investigation would reveal more than one instance
    Yes, it is clear that the Ds are hoping that the FBI can cast a wide enough net to find someone, anyone, else to say bad things about him. Bonus points if it is something else that they can demand an investigation over.

I don't know if he's guilty, you don't know if he's guilty, no one in the Senate knows if he's guilty. Anything said beyond that is just partisan hackery.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I find it hard to believe someone who is telling the truth is unwilling to testify that truth.

Testify to whom? Do you think a bunch grandstanding senators would be able to accomplish anything other than express their own partisan opinions? I don't blame her for wanting some corroboration, however flimsy, but I think she should go to Washington with her husband by her side. After all this she sort of owes it to Kavanaugh and the country.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

I fully understand why she’s not willing to testify, publicly, in that venue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I fully understand why she’s not willing to testify, publicly, in that venue.
    Ok. Then we have to move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    If I was her lawyer I would tell her to just stop answering if a Congressman starts grandstanding, badgering, or insults her. Tell them you will only answer relevant questions that arent disrespectful or meant to demean or defame her. Which we know many Republicans will do. Let them act like petulent children and take the high road. The people they are playing to wouldnt believe her story if she produced a video tape of the incident and even had Grandma Kavanaugh in the video confirming Bretts identity.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.