Page 98 of 154 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3063

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Wow are we really doing Roe v Wade yet again? I would consider myself Pro-life but theres no putting this cat back in the bag. Best case scenario for Republicans they win big in this case but its reversed as soon as they lose the majority in the court. Then everyone prosecuted under unconsitutional laws is set free but the damage is still done. Who compensates the victims who were prosecuted under unconsitutional laws that we all knew at the time would eventually be ruled unconstitutional.

Also, and I will bring this up in any abortion debate. How can the right to privacy of ones body, the right cited for abortion, not apply to me smoking a joint. It makes no sense whatsoever.

The best scenario for the pro-life side is probably not a full repeal of Roe, and I think that middle ground is where Roberts will steer this. He's a fan of incrementalism and seems to have a long game view of this stuff.

They can use Casey's undue burden ruling along with the much earlier cutoffs of basically all of Europe to rule that the 15 week line Mississippi has drawn is reasonable.

In a year or two, once the lesser anger that ruling causes has died off, another case would come to them with an even earlier cutoff. That would allow them to rule the undue burden clause to be overly arbitrary (it is) and toss both Roe and Casey as irreconcilable precedents.

Then it would all be up to the individual states, as it always should have been, and the danger of Democrats immediately using 50 Senators and Kamala to kill the filibuster and pack the Court in retaliation will have passed.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    great conversation Jaw and Striker
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-02-2021), striker42 (12-02-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Mississippi produces great lawyers like Rudy Baylor, jake Brigance, and Lucien wilbanks. We've also produced a great divorce attorney, Harry Rex vonner
    My joke fell flat, or you guys don't recognize great characters in John Grisham novels haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    My joke fell flat, or you guys don't recognize great characters in John Grisham novels haha
    I haven't read any of his stuff. I'm more of an Age of Sail, modern or future war, Louis L'Amour, type of fiction reader.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Being an attorney has ruined most pop culture legal things for me. Things like Law and Order and John Grisham novels grate against me when they sacrifice legal correctness for plot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I haven't read any of his stuff. I'm more of an Age of Sail, modern or future war, Louis L'Amour, type of fiction reader.
    Probably read half of the LLA books in my childhood.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Probably read half of the LLA books in my childhood.
    They're simple, formulaic, incredibly descriptive old friends at this point. I realized years ago that they definitely helped form my senses of manhood and morality.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Its not a right of privacy its a right to abortion. If we had the right to privacy of our own body I could smoke a joint in my own home legally.
    You've landed on what is, for me, the single best argument against the legality of marijuana laws in the US.

If you have a right to an abortion because of your right to privacy and autonomy over your own body, then you should have the right to smoke a joint in your home. The same reasoning applies.

It gets even more interesting. People generally aren't charged with smoking marijuana or being high, they're charged with possession of marijuana. If it was the act of smoking it or being high, you start running into other issues. However, by that logic states should be able to outlaw possession of abortion equipment by doctors. The reason they can't is because of the undue burden test in the Casey case.

However, if we bring that logic back the other way, outlawing possession of marijuana is an undue burden on your right to privacy and/or autonomy over your body.

What we come to now is whether the government has an interest in regulating the possession of marijuana. As we see in abortion cases, the right to an abortion is not absolute. The weight of privacy rights is eventually outweighed by the government's interest in protecting the fetus. This line is generally viability.

So the question is whether the government's interest in regulating marijuana outweighs your right to privacy/autonomy. For hard drugs like cocaine or heroin I would absolutely say it does. There are societal harms there. It's a harder case to make for weed though. However, courts generally aren't terribly accommodating to the side of drugs so they tend to take any pretense as valid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

thethe (12-02-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Huh. It's weird that the pilot in the Ghislaine Maxwell case remembered flying Spacey and Tucker on Epstein's plane, but didn't mention the other, far more famous guy shown here when he was testifying.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Actor is acting in the Smolett trial
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...96697c83548d5b

California plans to be a sanctuary state for people in states that criminalize abortion. And this is why I think outlawing it is silly. Red states response will be interesting. What are they gonna do? Checkpoint at the border for pregnant women? Women in trunks trying to sneak over the border? Arrest women based on "suspicion" they might get an abortion and lock them in a cage till they give birth? Interrogating women who have a miscarriage?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    ****, now that I read it again with the Grisham hint

Jake from a time to kill I recognize it
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

msstate7 (01-08-2022)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Dems put activists on the court... This is why they get away with either tyranny, and is why they are so upset they have lost their activist majority.

This is shameful lack of knowledge

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-07-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Dems put activists on the court... This is why they get away with either tyranny, and is why they are so upset they have lost their activist majority.

This is what happens when you worry about equity more than merit...
    Natural Immunity Croc

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-07-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts

Her calling OSHA's power a police power is an absolute travesty. Her law school should take her JD away. OSHA derives its power from the commerce clause. The commerce clause IS NOT federal police powers. That is well, well settled.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-07-2022)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Her calling OSHA's power a police power is an absolute travesty. Her law school should take her JD away. OSHA derives its power from the commerce clause. The commerce clause IS NOT federal police powers. That is well, well settled.
    She is aware. But she is an activist. And it's why the Dems are so desperate to expand the court. Activists are necessary for the tyrannical takeover happening

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-07-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    I do think there needs to be ways to hold judges more accountable for BS. In particular things like civil asset forfeiture and stop and frisk are laughably unconstitutional. Judges, who are 99% former prosecutors, give our rights away all while being the most protected class in America.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I do think there needs to be ways to hold judges more accountable for BS. In particular things like civil asset forfeiture and stop and frisk are laughably unconstitutional. Judges, who are 99% former prosecutors, give our rights away all while being the most protected class in America.
    If Congress had its act together it would be an amazing check on the judiciary. I'm not even talking about increasing the number of justices or anything like that. A ton of what the SCOTUS does can be undone by statute. What can't be could be undone by constitutional amendment. But Congress is broken and so the judiciary becomes a super legislature in Congress' absence.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    She is aware. But she is an activist. And it's why the Dems are so desperate to expand the court. Activists are necessary for the tyrannical takeover happening
    The party in control always rushes to fill openings with so-called activists. Sotomayor is a parallel to Thomas and Alito.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Sotomayor may wanna sit the next few plays out. Woof. What a laughable display lol.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (01-08-2022)