Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule 5

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Supposedly Braves and Jays have discussed Muk.

How about Muk and $2M for Max Pentecost before rule 5 and the Braves protect him? Jays stand to potentially lose him in rule 5 otherwise since they left him unprotected. Essentially Braves buy him for $2M and shed Muk. Jays get Muk at $8.5M and give up someone they were likely to lose anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

How about Muk and $2M for Max Pentecost before rule 5 and the Braves protect him? Jays stand to potentially lose him in rule 5 otherwise since they left him unprotected. Essentially Braves buy him for $2M and shed Muk. Jays get Muk at $8.5M and give up someone they were likely to lose anyway.
    How does protecting a player after the 40 man protection cut off date work?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    How does protecting a player after the 40 man protection cut off date work?
    I could be wrong but I think unprotected players can be traded right up until the draft. The new acquiring team has to either protect him or leave him available for the draft.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-29-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Advantages are that Braves wouldn't be subject to keeping him at ML level or have to offer back and they could still take others in rule 5.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-29-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I could be wrong but I think unprotected players can be traded right up until the draft. The new acquiring team has to either protect him or leave him available for the draft.
    You gotta be kidding me - the blackjack dealer didn't know that? What an uninformed idiotic yankee.

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You gotta be kidding me - the blackjack dealer didn't know that? What an uninformed idiotic yankee.

LOL...clvderpclv calling someone an idiot is pure comedic gold!

Have the Braves been able to ascertain the trade value of TD and DPete yet? When should I expect that MAdams for Odorizzi trade to go down?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-29-2017 at 04:42 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Where do you see this? The date to set 40 man rosters for the R5 draft was 10/20. I can't think of any trades like this going down to reference.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-29-2017 at 04:40 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Best reference I could find: https://247sports.com/mlb/indians/Ar...-FAQ-105170462

"The team can still add players via trade and free agency after this date (10/20), provided they remove a player from the 40-man roster to add the acquired player (if no 40-man spot(s) is open)."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Best reference I could find: https://247sports.com/mlb/indians/Ar...-FAQ-105170462

"The team can still add players via trade and free agency after this date (10/20), provided they remove a player from the 40-man roster to add the acquired player (if no 40-man spot(s) is open)."
    This. Let's say Braves sign a FA today and are at 40 man. They would have to add new FA and take protection off someone on the 40 man OR cut a player outright.

In same way, if Braves make a trade and they are at 40 man, send one guy off the 40 man but get back 3 that need to be on the 40 man, then same situation.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I don't know why the Braves would put Pentecost on the 40-man if they obtained him. I highly doubt he's drafted by anyone. Same logic would apply to him as Dustin Peterson.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't know why the Braves would put Pentecost on the 40-man if they obtained him. I highly doubt he's drafted by anyone. Same logic would apply to him as Dustin Peterson.
    Unlikely? Sure. Kinda like having a chance to swipe Dom Nunez away from Colorado though. If they find a taker for or non-tender Adams, you could go with 4 OFs (Ender, Markakis, Kemp, Lane Adams) until whenever someone's traded and Acuna gets promoted and use Pentecost/Nunez strictly as a PH - more or less the same thing Matt will be if he's kept anyway (plus he'd arguably be more useful as an emergency Catcher anyway).

If you're going to take a stab at someone that could be in the mix to catch as early as next season, Nunez makes a lot more sense to me since you really don't know if Pentecost can stick behind the plate anyway - potentially giving you 2 Catchers you're going to have try to convert to LFs if Jackson can't stick back there either.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Unlikely? Sure. Kinda like having a chance to swipe Dom Nunez away from Colorado though. If they find a taker for or non-tender Adams, you could go with 4 OFs (Ender, Markakis, Kemp, Lane Adams) until whenever someone's traded and Acuna gets promoted and use Pentecost/Nunez strictly as a PH - more or less the same thing Matt will be if he's kept anyway (plus he'd arguably be more useful as an emergency Catcher anyway).

If you're going to take a stab at someone that could be in the mix to catch as early as next season, Nunez makes a lot more sense to me since you really don't know if Pentecost can stick behind the plate anyway - potentially giving you 2 Catchers you're going to have try to convert to LFs if Jackson can't stick back there either.
    At least Nunez has played at AA. Pentecost may develop into something, but he's never played above High A and he's caught a grand total of 30 games over his minor league career. Braves likely aren't going anywhere, but I can't see how having him on the 25-man roster for the season would make that much sense. Nunez has played in AA and while there are questions about his bat, reports on his defense are encouraging, so if you are going with one of these two, I think Nunez would be the better choice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-30-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    At least Nunez has played at AA. Pentecost may develop into something, but he's never played above High A and he's caught a grand total of 30 games over his minor league career. Braves likely aren't going anywhere, but I can't see how having him on the 25-man roster for the season would make that much sense. Nunez has played in AA and while there are questions about his bat, reports on his defense are encouraging, so if you are going with one of these two, I think Nunez would be the better choice.
    I'm not saying take him in the rule 5 where you have to keep him at the ML level. I'm saying trade Muk and cash for him now, protect him on the 40 man so he's not eligible for the rule 5, then start him at AA and see what you have.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-30-2017), jpx7 (11-30-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm not saying take him in the rule 5 where you have to keep him at the ML level. I'm saying trade Muk and cash for him now, protect him on the 40 man so he's not eligible for the rule 5, then start him at AA and see what you have.
    Can't imagine he (or Nunez) wouldn't fit better on our 40-Man Roster than Brothers, Adonis, Hursh, Santana or Jace. To be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't just go ahead and DFA all 5 of them now.

High School Draftee biggentleben's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Where do you see this? The date to set 40 man rosters for the R5 draft was 10/20. I can't think of any trades like this going down to reference.
    Your own Braves made such a deal last season.

Alex Jackson was only traded with a PTBNL because the Braves had a preference for the second player in the trade, and that second player was Rule 5 eligible. If the Braves had acquired him, they would have had to choose whether or not to protect him, so they had the Mariners hold the player, and if he got picked, they would move down their preference list to the #2 guy. After Rule 5 passed, the Braves got his medicals and chose to pass, and they went for Pike instead.
    Gus: You don't know anything about scouting.
    Johnny: Don't tell them that.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biggentleben For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2017), Super (12-04-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I highly doubt Pentecost will be drafted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I highly doubt Pentecost will be drafted.
    I don't. He showed well in the catching he did in Arizona, and every team had multiple reps there. He didn't get a ton of game time behind the plate, but he did a lot of working out behind the plate and showed very well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I don't. He showed well in the catching he did in Arizona, and every team had multiple reps there. He didn't get a ton of game time behind the plate, but he did a lot of working out behind the plate and showed very well.
    Just so I'm clear...

You think a guy who played 19 games at C and 22 games at 1B in A+ ball during the 2017 season is going to be picked up by a team and kept on their 25 man roster all season?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It doesn’t surprise me at all with TD. Has some power, but is not ready...probably will never be ready lol. DPete does a little...he was going to most likely be our 4th outfielder last year before the injury. He could come back and easily compete for that on most teams next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Just so I'm clear...

You think a guy who played 19 games at C and 22 games at 1B in A+ ball during the 2017 season is going to be picked up by a team and kept on their 25 man roster all season?
    I'm thinking there's a chance that he's kept for his bat and the ability to be a 3rd catcher/PH. Cordoba hadn't played any full-season ball at all before last season. Torrens hadn't played above low-A and only 40 games at low-A. In the AFL, Pentecost was finally healthy and showed well behind the plate. That could be enough for a team that believes in his pedigree.