Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rule 5

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I'm thinking there's a chance that he's kept for his bat and the ability to be a 3rd catcher/PH. Cordoba hadn't played any full-season ball at all before last season. Torrens hadn't played above low-A and only 40 games at low-A. In the AFL, Pentecost was finally healthy and showed well behind the plate. That could be enough for a team that believes in his pedigree.
    You realize SD grabbed those players and stashed them on the bench with the intentions of sending them back to the minors in 2018, right?

That is the first time I have ever seen a team completely punt 2 roster spots like that. You think something similar is going to happen with Pentecost?

High School Draftee biggentleben's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You realize SD grabbed those players and stashed them on the bench with the intentions of sending them back to the minors in 2018, right?

That is the first time I have ever seen a team completely punt 2 roster spots like that. You think something similar is going to happen with Pentecost?
    Might be the first you can remember, but it's happened previously. Everth Cabrera had never played above A-ball (and only had a handful of games even at high-A) before being selected and sticking for a full season and starting most of the year. Johan Santana had never thrown above A ball. Those are two off the top of my head.

And Torrens had that purpose, but Cordoba was picked to play, and he did, appearing in 100 games.
    Gus: You don't know anything about scouting.
    Johnny: Don't tell them that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to biggentleben For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Might be the first you can remember, but it's happened previously. Everth Cabrera had never played above A-ball (and only had a handful of games even at high-A) before being selected and sticking for a full season and starting most of the year. Johan Santana had never thrown above A ball. Those are two off the top of my head.

And Torrens had that purpose, but Cordoba was picked to play, and he did, appearing in 100 games.
    He certainly did play...and posted -1.1 WAR.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    He certainly did play...and posted -1.1 WAR.
    Not sure how many games off the top of my head, but I feel like he played the majority of his time in the OF a position I don't believe he had previously played prior to playing it at the major league level.

Just something to consider.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Not sure how many games off the top of my head, but I feel like he played the majority of his time in the OF a position I don't believe he had previously played prior to playing it at the major league level.

Exactly, primarily as a defensive replacement as well. I think he had something like 250 plate appearances.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post

SD stashed him because they didn’t need to win. They played him because they were terrible.

Both will be in the minors in 2018, as planned from the moment they were drafted.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Exactly, primarily as a defensive replacement as well. I think he had something like 250 plate appearances.
    Both players SD picked will be in the minors in 2918 because that’s why they were selected.

If Pentecost is drafted it will be for exactly the same reason.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    SD stashed him because they didn’t need to win. They played him because they were terrible.

Both will be in the minors in 2018, as planned from the moment they were drafted.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. You give such good points on this board but anytime someone has a different opinion or view other than the one you feel is right, you attack them and become defensive. There's always going to be multiple opinions (that's what makes a discussion) so just because someone doesn't agree with you, just try hearing them out instead of instantly going on the defensive. Like I said, you're extremely savvy and bring awesome points up in tons of threads, so keep that up but just try to be a little more open to what others say.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-14-2017), jpx7 (12-04-2017), mfree80 (12-03-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    If Pentecost is drafted, it would have to be by an AL team where he could DH in addition to catch occasionally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If Pentecost is drafted, it would have to be by an AL team where he could DH in addition to catch occasionally.
    ...or an NL team willing to let him play C/1B and pinch hit a bunch while working with someone they believe is very good instructing behind the plate.

I don't disagree, though. He's not the top rule 5 option, but he certainly will draw interest and dismissing him as if he won't is foolhardy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    ...or an NL team willing to let him play C/1B and pinch hit a bunch while working with someone they believe is very good instructing behind the plate.

I don't disagree, though. He's not the top rule 5 option, but he certainly will draw interest and dismissing him as if he won't is foolhardy.
    That’s about the most non-committal prediction I’ve ever read haha.

He won’t be picked in the R5 draft unless it’s to stash him on the bench before sending him back to the minors like SD did last year with the guys they took.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

NL benches are just too short of a guy like Pentecost. It's different when your 25th guy can play extensively in the field as a defensive back-up. Someone pointed out Cabrera and I would add when the Phils kept Goeddel around for 2016. A third catcher is extremely rare these days as teams opt for extra bullpen arms. I just don't see a situation where Pentecost gets 100 ABs where he isn't DH-ing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    FG just posted a list of the best R5 guys according to KATOH projections.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kato...-rule-5-draft/

By far the most interesting position player in the article is Reyes from SD.

Would he be worth a roster spot coming off a wrist injury? Maybe if the Braves haven’t fixed LF and are punting the position for another season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Nestor Cortes looks to be worth a shot
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Cortes could be interesting. He’s a junkball lefty who would fit best as a swing man long reliever. We don’t seem to have a need for that now, but I’m a fan of adding pieces that allow you to trade current pieces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Cortes could be interesting. He’s a junkball lefty who would fit best as a swing man long reliever. We don’t seem to have a need for that now, but I’m a fan of adding pieces that allow you to trade current pieces.
    He doesn't light up the radar gun but his stuff plays up because he has some deception in his delivery.

When you look at performance adjusted for age and level, the results he had in AAA last year at age 22 are very good. 10.6 Ks per nine and 2.1 Ks per nine. Compares favorably to Sims and Fried, who are both a year older.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I highly doubt Pentecost will be drafted.
    I don't. He showed well in the catching he did in Arizona, and every team had multiple reps there. He didn't get a ton of game time behind the plate, but he did a lot of working out behind the plate and showed very well.
    I'm thinking there's a chance that he's kept for his bat and the ability to be a 3rd catcher/PH. Cordoba hadn't played any full-season ball at all before last season. Torrens hadn't played above low-A and only 40 games at low-A. In the AFL, Pentecost was finally healthy and showed well behind the plate. That could be enough for a team that believes in his pedigree.
    Ben, was Max Pentecost picked in the R5 draft to be kept on a MLB roster as a 3rd catcher and PHer?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Ben, was Max Pentecost picked in the R5 draft to be kept on a MLB roster as a 3rd catcher and PHer?
    who hurt you dear child
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Evad (12-14-2017)