Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Play GM with imaginary budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If camargo is our 3B then why did we non tender both jace and Danny. We have to go sign a utility guy now too if Jo-gun is a starter.
    You could acquire Prado as part of a deal to get one the marlins outfielders. 50 pointed it out. Getting a utility guy should not be a difficult task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don’t think AA is clearing payroll bc he has to. I think he’s doing it to make a bigger move for either the OF or 3b.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t think AA is clearing payroll bc he has to. I think he’s doing it to make a bigger move for either the OF or 3b.
    A Prado & Yelich or Ozuna deal handles both items with Prado providing support for Camargo if he falters as well as being a backup 1b/2b/3b and when Swanson needs some time you just shift Camargo to ss and Prado to 3b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    A Prado & Yelich or Ozuna deal handles both items with Prado providing support for Camargo if he falters as well as being a backup 1b/2b/3b and when Swanson needs some time you just shift Camargo to ss and Prado to 3b
    That’s what i was thinking. I know that Yelich would cost more but he’s signed a lot longer too. Prado and Yelich i would definitely be in for. Anybody but Gohara, Acuna, Albies, Swanson, or Wright and I’m good with it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    That’s what i was thinking. I know that Yelich would cost more but he’s signed a lot longer too. Prado and Yelich i would definitely be in for. Anybody but Gohara, Acuna, Albies, Swanson, or Wright and I’m good with it.
    I think we can put together a package excluding those guys that approach the surplus value of a yelich/Prado package.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's relatively easy to find utility guys. I always had hopes for Jace Peterson (although I'm not one of those who thought he was the next Dustin Pedroia) and after his season as a regular, I thought he might develop into a decent short-term regular. Alas, not the case. I watched some of Santana up here in Minnesota and he's not the same player he was as a rookie when he did very well. He looks to have put on a fair amount of weight.

My guess is they either sign a 3B (of which I would be skeptical) or get a better utility guy than either Peterson or Santana. Because Camargo can back up at either 2B or SS, it could be a "bat first" guy and not someone who needs to back up at SS. Decent back-up SSs are pretty difficult to find. I still can't figure out why Adonis Garcia is still on the roster.
    Now that the Jays picked up Aldemys Diaz, I wonder if Zack Cozart's camp is explaining to him that he's likely going to have to move off SS? MLBTR projected him to sign with San Diego, but does anyone really see them spending that kind of money just yet?

He's not really a perfect fit (and it would obviously be way out there), but he could arguably slot in at 3B for now and give you the option to include Swanson in a trade if someone else is really sold on him. He'd make the infield entirely interchangeable with the ability to play him, Camargo, or Dansby at 2B/3B/SS and Ozzie at 2B/SS. If Riley proves himself and you trade Swanson then you move Cozart back to his preferred spot - and you wouldn't be blocking Riley.

As for Adonis, you just have to figure the only reason he's still here is that he has 1 option remaining - if you don't sign another 3B and a Rio and Camargo platoon flames out over there, keeping Garcia around keeps you from rushing Riley more.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Utility infielders are a dime a dozen. But how much better are they of those available. Typically you are a utility because you are either young and waiting on a position to open (not available) or not good enough to start. We just cut two of those.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Strengthening the left side of the infield is a high priority. Swanson and Camargo might be the solution, but I think it would be very risky to proceed on that assumption. I wouldn't go after a high-priced option like Moustakas. But I would go after someone who can be part of a three-man rotation manning short and third. Options include: Prado, Nunez, Solarte, Cozart, Frazier and Yandy Diaz. I'd be willing to go 3 years on Cozart, Frazier and Nunez. If it takes a longer term deal with those three I'd pass.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-02-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think we can put together a package excluding those guys that approach the surplus value of a yelich/Prado package.
    Really? What do you think the surplus value of a Yelich/Prado package is?

What group of players from the Braves approximates that value?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-02-2017 at 10:56 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'd rather make the pen the strength of the team and let Camargo play at third. With his defense alone we are going to get an average third baseman.

When your starting rotation is going to be billed with kids that aren't likely to consistently go 6 innings then you better have a great pen if you want to win games. I'd sign 2 guys to a 3 year deal at a AAV of 8-12 million. I still believe if they become superfluous in a year or two you can still trade them for good value.

I like the idea of Minor/Morrow now but you can convince me to exchange one of those with Addison Reed.

No upgrades in the starting rotation. Absolutely have to find out if Fried is a major league starter this season. Leave third base alone. Think about locking up Albies/Acuna NOW.
    You do realize that if the Braves win the bidding for a FA BP arm that means the Braves paid absolute top dollar nobody else was willing to pay, right? How exactly would a player have surplus value a year later in such a scenario?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Strengthening the left side of the infield is a high priority. Swanson and Camargo might be the solution, but I think it would be very risky to proceed on that assumption. I wouldn't go after a high-priced option like Moustakas. But I would go after someone who can be part of a three-man rotation manning short and third. Options include: Prado, Nunez, Solarte, Cozart, Frazier and Yandy Diaz. I'd be willing to go 3 years on Cozart, Frazier and Nunez. If it takes a longer term deal with those three I'd pass.
    I think this is more what I am saying. I feel cutting jace and Danny says that AA is thinking of another option for 3B
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think this is more what I am saying. I feel cutting jace and Danny says that AA is thinking of another option for 3B
    He almost has to be.

Unless....

Unless we are about to see a $100M payroll while the Braves “see what they have” with the Camargo/Ruiz/Adonis trio.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He almost has to be.

Unless....

Unless we are about to see a $100M payroll while the Braves “see what they have” with the Camargo/Ruiz/Adonis trio.
    Shh. Just channel your inner thethe
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Shh. Just channel your inner thethe
    Absolute worst case scenario they have about $12M to spend in 2018. I can’t imagine they will be forced to lower payroll below $100M. If they stay cheap in the rotation and BP, they can afford to add Frazier at 3B. A Mous signing wouldn’t surprise me, but I would be mildly against it.

They had to have been clearing payroll as a precursor to making a moderately sized addition, and the most glaring hole on the roster is 3b (assuming they let Markakis play out his contract in LF).

I’m still holding out hope for an Ozuna/Prado package.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Have the Marlins confirmed a full tear down?

I don’t understand the purpose of selling their good and cheap assets otherwise.

They can probably move Stanton and Prada and get close to the 85-90 range That is supposed to be their goal.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 12-02-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Absolute worst case scenario they have about $12M to spend in 2018. I can’t imagine they will be forced to lower payroll below $100M. If they stay cheap in the rotation and BP, they can afford to add Frazier at 3B. A Mous signing wouldn’t surprise me, but I would be mildly against it.

They had to have been clearing payroll as a precursor to making a moderately sized addition, and the most glaring hole on the roster is 3b (assuming they let Markakis play out his contract in LF).

I’m still holding out hope for an Ozuna/Prado package.
    I wouldn’t assume either Markakis or Kemp are on the team. AA might be on board with them being sunk costs. Maybe save 3-5 per year trading Kemp and save 7-8 mil for Markakis

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Have the Marlin confirmed a full year down?

Cause I guess I don’t understand the purpose of selling their good and cheap assets otherwise.

They can probably move Stanton and Prada and get close to the 85-90 range I’ve seen.
    You won’t believe anything until it actually happens, but Stanton, Prado and Gordon are as good as gone. We are able to logically deduce that from the information at hand (just like we knew MAdams had no trade value and would be non-tendered).

The Marlins will be eating some of Stanton’s and Prado’s contracts, so they won’t be saving the full value in a trade.

The fact Panik is being discussed with the Giants means Gordon is gone, but luckily his entire contract could likely be traded for little return.

The inclusion of Ozuna is pure speculation because he has positive value and could be used to offset the negative value of guys like Prado and Tazawa, especially if the Marlins get a couple cheap OFers from the Cards for Stanton.

I realize you’re just being contrarian rather than contributing an actual opinion, but that’s how we “know” what we know about the Marlins. All it requires is a basic understanding of player valuation, and then applying a bit of logic to the known data.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I wouldn’t assume either Markakis or Kemp are on the team. AA might be on board with them being sunk costs. Maybe save 3-5 per year trading Kemp and save 7-8 mil for Markakis
    Oh I totally agree that’s possible. The issue is how do they find a new LFer? I’ve laid out a few ideas, but the cheapest route would be to allow Markakis to produce 1 win for $11M in LF.

It’s entirely possible the Braves only have cash to improve one position, and the preponderance of evidence (dumping all utility guys but Camargo, stocking the BP with scrap heap arms, 6 viable SP options on hand) points to that acquisition being at 3b.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    You won’t believe anything until it actually happens, but Stanton, Prado and Gordon are as good as gone. We are able to logically deduce that from the information at hand (just like we knew MAdams had no trade value and would be non-tendered).

The Marlins will be eating some of Stanton’s and Prado’s contracts, so they won’t be saving the full value in a trade.

The fact Panik is being discussed with the Giants means Gordon is gone, but luckily his entire contract could likely be traded for little return.

The inclusion of Ozuna is pure speculation because he has positive value and could be used to offset the negative value of guys like Prado and Tazawa, especially if the Marlins get a couple cheap OFers from the Cards for Stanton.

I realize you’re just being contrarian rather than contributing an actual opinion, but that’s how we “know” what we know about the Marlins. All it requires is a basic understanding of player valuation, and then applying a bit of logic to the known data.
    You are a weird dude.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't want Frazier in the least (and I see his upcoming negotiations being similar to the pursuit of Markakis three years ago in that someone will give him a 4th year and regret it). Curious to see what the market is on Cozart and Nunez.