Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JJ traded

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'm willing, for now, not to view this trade as in-continuum with those "last few trades" but purely in the context of the new regime; so, for now, I'm going to refrain from smelling any "desperation to cut payroll" and see what Anthopolous et al do with the cash and 40-man slot.

Non-tendering Adams, for now, won't effect that view, either—the latter move seeming a pretty obvious step for a team that doesn't need what Adams brings to the table, and from the standpoint of a market (as you yourself have effectively argued) that is unlikely to bear much fruit even if Adams were tendered-to-be-traded.
    I have no idea what revenue projections were before building the new park, but I drove my daughter by The Battery last Saturday afternoon and the place was packed with people. I had to stop for a couple of minutes to let a herd of people go by like I was at a cattle crossing. That has to pay significantly better than the previous park.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Those could also be fat cutting moves. Saving payroll is always in fashion and ridding the roster of overpaid/underperforming players for the new wave of youngsters is pretty much good business correct?

I just don’t think it’s groundbreaking that the Atl FO will be frugal with unnecessary roster options. That’s pretty much a given in any year.
    Ivermectin Man

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (12-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This is where I disagree. I don't disagree that it's money we can't use, I disagree with the sentiment that it's not something of value just because we can't use it. If you own a classic muscle car in pristine condition but have no idea how to drive a stick, the car isn't worthless just because you can't use it.
    While it doesn't make it worthless, if the person you're trying to sell it to knows it's useless to you, you may not get as strong an offer.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    While it doesn't make it worthless, if the person you're trying to sell it to knows it's useless to you, you may not get as strong an offer.
    The theory completely ignores other teams demand for what you hold.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Those could also be fat cutting moves. Saving payroll is always in fashion and ridding the roster of overpaid/underperforming players for the new wave of youngsters is pretty much good business correct?

I just don’t think it’s groundbreaking that the Atl FO will be frugal with unnecessary roster options. That’s pretty much a given in any year.
    Nah.... It has to mean the sky is falling. Don't you read this board?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-01-2017), clvclv (12-01-2017), JohnAdcox (12-01-2017), Knucksie (12-04-2017), TomahawkCult (12-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The theory completely ignores other teams demand for what you hold.
    There is also the option of using the money to sign international prospects. The top guys in the market are signed, but there are always some others out there you can sign in the latter stages of a signing period. We did that a few years ago.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    This is more true when you only have one interested buyer. If you have no use for something and only one person to sell it to, it hurts your leverage. There are 28 other teams in MLB the Braves could have traded this money to.

Look back to the frenzy over Chris Sale. The White Sox had no real use for him but that didn't diminish his price. There were enough buyers that the White Sox could play them off each other.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    This is more true when you only have one interested buyer. If you have no use for something and only one person to sell it to, it hurts your leverage. There are 28 other teams in MLB the Braves could have traded this money to.

Look back to the frenzy over Chris Sale. The White Sox had no real use for him but that didn't diminish his price. There were enough buyers that the White Sox could play them off each other.
    But every team knows you can't use it.
    I don't think Sale is a good comparison at all, even for the specific reason you mentioned. If Sale wasn't able to pitch for a full year before the trade, the comparison would be better.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I don't think Sale is a good comparison at all, even for the specific reason you mentioned. If Sale wasn't able to pitch for a full year before the trade, the comparison would be better.
    We have the choice of using the international funds to sign more prospects. Its not as if we have to find a taker for that. We did not have to trade it to the Angels.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-01-2017), jpx7 (12-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    A better example would be Japanese teams posting players under the old system. You know the player is coming to the US but teams still fought it out for these players. Just because you have no realistic threat of keeping an asset doesn't make it worthless.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Wasn’t Super the one arguing endlessly that Garcia had increased his trade value after one good start, citing supply and demand...over and over and over?

I think it’s pretty clear he’s the last person to listen to about market factors haha.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I have no idea what revenue projections were before building the new park, but I drove my daughter by The Battery last Saturday afternoon and the place was packed with people. I had to stop for a couple of minutes to let a herd of people go by like I was at a cattle crossing. That has to pay significantly better than the previous park.
    Yeah it's a cash cow. My nephews came in town and it's the first place they wanted to go last week. I'm very interested in seeing what 4th quarter revenue is. Of course we could still have some "creative accounting" for another year, but being a public company it's going to be no secret we have money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Yeah it's a cash cow. My nephews came in town and it's the first place they wanted to go last week. I'm very interested in seeing what 4th quarter revenue is. Of course we could still have some "creative accounting" for another year, but being a public company it's going to be no secret we have money.
    I’ve asked this a few times now...

Last I heard, the Braves rent out space and do not receive a cut of the revenue generated at these places. Is that not true?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Last I heard, the Braves rent out space and do not receive a cut of the revenue generated at these places. Is that not true?
    Everything I've read has said they do get a cut of revenue. The Bars are Braves themed. I cannot see how they wouldn't be getting a cut.

The restaurants like Antico may be a little different, but why would you have a restaurant you don't get a cut off of at your place where you could be selling overpriced nachos and ballpark food 40 feet away.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I can't confirm this but I would guess that the Braves function just like any other landlord and probably only receive rent from tenants. I difference in the Braves and most landlords I believe is they get all the revenue from a development that someone else funded a large part of. So they get all the money with only a portion of the cost.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    A better example would be Japanese teams posting players under the old system. You know the player is coming to the US but teams still fought it out for these players. Just because you have no realistic threat of keeping an asset doesn't make it worthless.
    at no point did i say or suggest the money was worthless.