376 Posts

Braves avoid arbitration with Brothers

450 K minor league and 1.1 major league

He has an option left so i like the move

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Makes sense. Gives us some depth in AAA.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Brothers’ xwOBA was .305, which ranked 5th on the Braves for all pitchers who faced 100+ batters. This suggests he is an above average pitcher despite the poor results.

His FA grades out as a solid 65, and his SL is closer to a grade 55 FC. Brothers is basically Minter minus half a grade on both pitches.

The Minter/Freeman/Brothers trio plus the likelihood one of Newk or Fried moves to the BP means there is little need for the Braves to pursue a LHed BP arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Brothers’ xwOBA was .305, which ranked 5th on the Braves for all pitchers who faced 100+ batters. This suggests he is an above average pitcher despite the poor results.

His FA grades out as a solid 65, and his SL is closer to a grade 55 FC. Brothers is basically Minter minus half a grade on both pitches.

The Minter/Freeman/Brothers trio plus the likelihood one of Newk or Fried moves to the BP means there is little need for the Braves to pursue a LHed BP arm.
    Didn’t mention lindgren who has an insane slider

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He isn’t someone the Braves should be planning around for the 2018 season.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I like Lindgren a lot. The Yanks may kick themselves over that move.

If it were me I'd be looking at building 2 pens, the major league pen and the minor league pen full of guys who have options and can step up at any time. Brothers and Lindgren would be my 2 lefties to plan to start in AAA with Minter as my main lefty in the major league pen and be looking at another late inning reliever like a Jake Mcghee or Tony Watson. I'd be looking to sell high on Freeman. Clouse and Burrows would be the AA options who could possibly make a late season jump. You can never have enough lefty relievers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Braves, Brothers work it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I like Lindgren a lot. The Yanks may kick themselves over that move.

If it were me I'd be looking at building 2 pens, the major league pen and the minor league pen full of guys who have options and can step up at any time. Brothers and Lindgren would be my 2 lefties to plan to start in AAA with Minter as my main lefty in the major league pen and be looking at another late inning reliever like a Jake Mcghee or Tony Watson. I'd be looking to sell high on Freeman. Clouse and Burrows would be the AA options who could possibly make a late season jump. You can never have enough lefty relievers.
    That's the way to do it.

Given what we have currently the major league pen coming out of spring training would look something like this: Viz, Minter, Freeman, Winkler, Ramirez, Ravin and probably a player to be acquired.

We would have Brothers and Lindgren as lefties in AAA with options remaining. We have a group of righties on the 40 man roster who I believe do not have options remaining (Cabrera, Jackson, Morris). But there are some others likely to be in AAA who do have options remaining (Hursh, Dave Peterson, Dirks). Blair and Wisler have options remaining. They might be in the AAA rotation but could obviously be used as relievers if needed.

I think our pitching depth in AAA is looking quite good. It includes a rotation that might look like this: Soroka, Allard, Fried, Sims and one of Wisler/Blair. I'm assuming we pick up a veteran pitcher to round out the major league rotation with Teheran, Folty, Gohara and Newcomb.

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That's the way to do it.

Given what we have currently the major league pen coming out of spring training would look something like this: Viz, Minter, Freeman, Winkler, Ramirez, Ravin and probably a player to be acquired.

We would have Brothers and Lindgren as lefties in AAA with options remaining. We have a group of righties on the 40 man roster who I believe do not have options remaining (Cabrera, Jackson, Morris). But there are some others likely to be in AAA who do have options remaining (Hursh, Dave Peterson, Dirks). Blair and Wisler have options remaining. They might be in the AAA rotation but could obviously be used as relievers if needed.

I think our pitching depth in AAA is looking quite good. It includes a rotation that might look like this: Soroka, Allard, Fried, Sims and one of Wisler/Blair. I'm assuming we pick up a veteran pitcher to round out the major league rotation with Teheran, Folty, Gohara and Newcomb.
    Roster Resource has Morris having an option left and I saw it somewhere else as well. He'd be my 3rd member of the AAA pen for now alonmg with Biddle and Hursh (for now). Yes, Mauricio and Jackson are out of options, so theoretically you have them slated for the major league pen until you can find an upgrade.

To be honest, I'd even look to keep Gohara down in AAA and look to have a rotation of Gohara, Soroka, Allard, Sims, and Fried and have a couple of vets in the rotation who can be flipped or kept and Julio or Folty flipped if they have a good 1st half. I'd cut bait on Wisler and Blair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I'd cut bait on Wisler and Blair.
    I would like to see them as relievers. Failed starters often make good relievers. Give them half a season in the AAA bullpen. If they dominate we might have something.

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    If the Braves don’t fix the holes on the roster and project to win 85+ games, I’d like to see Gohara in AAA working on his change no matter what. Gain the extra year of control over Gohara and give Newk, Sims and Fried 10-15 MLB starts to determine once and for all if they can hack it as SPs.

After a couple months Gohara replaces the worst SP and pushes him to the BP. Later in the year promote Soroka, Allard and/or Wright to replace whomever else is injured or struggling.

This is also the year to start thinking about trading Julio at the deadline since he will have 2+ years of control remaining.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (12-03-2017), JohnAdcox (12-01-2017), jpx7 (12-01-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If the Braves don’t fix the holes on the roster and project to win 85+ games, I’d like to see Gohara in AAA working in his change no matter what. Gain the extra year of control over Gohara and give Newk, Sims and Fried 10-15 MLB starts to determine once and for all if they can hack it as SPs.

After a couple months Gohara replaces the worst SP and pushes him to the BP. Later in the year promote Soroka, Allard and/or Wright to replace whom ever else is injured or struggling.

This is also the year to start thinking about trading Julio at the deadline since he will have 2+ years of control remaining.
    We should have traded Julio in 2016. That was one of my bigger gripes about Coppy. Hearing how cocky he was I get it now. He's had good years in 2014 and 2016 so if the pattern continues 2018 should be a good year and I'd look to trade him as early as June.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    We should have traded Julio in 2016. That was one of my bigger gripes about Coppy. Hearing how cocky he was I get it now. He's had good years in 2014 and 2016 so if the pattern continues 2018 should be a good year and I'd look to trade him as early as June.
    I agree with the notion they should have traded JT during the rebuild, but my thoughts on trading him at this trade deadline are more about following the process I think maximizes the value of SPs.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I agree with the notion they should have traded JT during the rebuild, but my thoughts on trading him at this trade deadline are more about following the process I think maximizes the value of SPs.
    I do agree with the Tampa Shuffle of trading them with 2 years remaining. I'd do it for an arm and a bat each time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    I do agree with the Tampa Shuffle of trading them with 2 years remaining. I'd do it for an arm and a bat each time.
    I would like to see the Braves emulate the Rays model, except the Braves can afford to supplement the roster with FAs that cost $10M-$20M per year rather than how the Rays are stuck adding guys making under $5M per year.

The Rays shoot for 80 wins and hope to get lucky enough to be in playoff contention. The Braves should be able to shoot for 85 wins and consistently be in playoff contention.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If the Braves don’t fix the holes on the roster and project to win 85+ games, I’d like to see Gohara in AAA working on his change no matter what. Gain the extra year of control over Gohara and give Newk, Sims and Fried 10-15 MLB starts to determine once and for all if they can hack it as SPs.

After a couple months Gohara replaces the worst SP and pushes him to the BP. Later in the year promote Soroka, Allard and/or Wright to replace whomever else is injured or struggling.

I like that plan.