Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going, going gone: Braves' lost prospects' new teams

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    How this kind of thing should be done is that the prospects contracts aren't terminated, instead they become property of MLB. MLB then lets teams bid on the prospects. The money paid for the contracts goes to the team that had the prospects taken (up to the full value of the contract).

A system like this prevents prospects from enjoying the benefits of illegal signings and then getting a second signing bonus. It also keeps the loss of prospects from turning into a ridiculous fine.
    So you want to make it harder on 16 years olds with no bargaining power and easier in organizations caught deliberately circumventing the rules.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-05-2017), mqt (12-05-2017), UNCBlue012 (12-06-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Totally different system though.
    True. These guys will more than likely sign for less now, having the money already paid by the Braves.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    True. These guys will more than likely sign for less now, having the money already paid by the Braves.
    Also the penalty for exceeding caps is much more dissuasive.

The shenanigans probably bilked the kids out of money. I think it’s good they get to see the fruits of their talent.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    This is correct. What they sign for now will in no way be a true indicator of their value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Also the penalty for exceeding caps is much more dissuasive.

The shenanigans probably bilked the kids out of money. I think it’s good they get to see the fruits of their talent.
    There is no penalty for exceeding caps because the caps are hard.

I was just trying to add to the sour grapes in this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    So you want to make it harder on 16 years olds with no bargaining power and easier in organizations caught deliberately circumventing the rules.
    I want the organizations caught circumventing the rules to be punished in proportion to their crime. Voiding these contracts is tantamount to millions of dollars in fines as the Braves are out the money and the prospects.

Also, I don't think it's right at all that a player can be a party to circumventing the rules, keep his signing bonus, and then go get a second one. I understand a lot of these players are young and have no power. I'm not saying take their original bonus away. On the contrary, make these guys live up to the contracts they signed. Those contracts are just assigned to a different team.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-05-2017)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    How did these players know we broke rules The wrong doing was in 2015. They didn’t know we under reported that year to sign them. They just agreed to terms that were laid out. Why punish them.
    $2.2M cash in pocket...punish me...

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    We need to send them the other $1M in spending ability in a separate deal.
    Then, Maitan back to ATL for Kelly in June...FTW.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I want the organizations caught circumventing the rules to be punished in proportion to their crime. Voiding these contracts is tantamount to millions of dollars in fines as the Braves are out the money and the prospects.

Also, I don't think it's right at all that a player can be a party to circumventing the rules, keep his signing bonus, and then go get a second one. I understand a lot of these players are young and have no power. I'm not saying take their original bonus away. On the contrary, make these guys live up to the contracts they signed. Those contracts are just assigned to a different team.
    But again, the theory behind the penalty was that we bundled players in 2015 in order to be able to sign the kids in 2016. The players never circumvented the rule that we're being punished for, at least as far as we know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    But again, the theory behind the penalty was that we bundled players in 2015 in order to be able to sign the kids in 2016. The players never circumvented the rule that we're being punished for, at least as far as we know.
    And assigning the players contracts to another team wouldn't punish them. It just prevents them from getting a second signing bonus. Right now, players have a huge incentive to induce teams to break the rules, roll on them, get declared a free agent, and then get a second signing bonus.

I don't think declaring these guys free agents was smart. Baseball should be assigning their contracts to the highest bidder.

Personally, I think baseball should decide an amount to fine an organization, take the prospects, sell their contracts, and if there's anything in excess of the fine, it's returned to the offending organization.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    And assigning the players contracts to another team wouldn't punish them. It just prevents them from getting a second signing bonus. Right now, players have a huge incentive to induce teams to break the rules, roll on them, get declared a free agent, and then get a second signing bonus.

I don't think declaring these guys free agents was smart. Baseball should be assigning their contracts to the highest bidder.

Personally, I think baseball should decide an amount to fine an organization, take the prospects, sell their contracts, and if there's anything in excess of the fine, it's returned to the offending organization.
    I really, really, really, hope we see a bunch of prospects leak info of their illegal signings.

I know it's purely out of spite, but I want to see it more than I want to see anything happen this offseason.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-05-2017)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Wasn't Maitan signed for 4 million originally?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

It's not a fine. The braves already paid the money some time ago. Those bonuses have nothing to do with their finances going forward because they are off the books. A fine would impact their ability to spend or profit.

You are essentially arguing that they should get the money they spent illegally back as a windfall. That's remarkably stupid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

To be clear, you think it is a bad idea that players are incentivized to report wrong doing.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Abrahan Gutierrez signs with the Phils for $550k.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    This thread is depressing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    This thread is depressing.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Coppy said sorry though. We should forgive the piece of ****.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Some of these signings came through pretty quick. Be a real shame if any of these teams jumped the gun discussing terms.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

I think the idea is that it incentivizes the cooperating with the league in investigations.