Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: 2017 Winter Meetings Predictions, Rumors, And Actual Happenings

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    My hope is a deal for Prado would also bring back someone like Barraclough.
    Don't get me wrong - I could definitely get behind that kind of deal if AA could get it done for spare parts - I just don't see it shaking out that way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sabathia back to the Yankees.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Sabathia back to the Yankees.
    Sabathia had a really solid year, he seemed to be back to the guy everyone was used too for so many years.

There is no sugarcoating how incredible the Yankees offseason has been -- and I hate it.

If they can grab Cole or someone like Fulmer in a trade, they'd have to be at least co-favorites with the Astros and Dodgers next year.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I'll put this here and see what everyone thinks: Kemp to Arizona for Zack Greinke with Arizona paying Greinke's bonus out and deferred payments for previous years.

Arizona is looking to create payroll space and move Greinke's contract with no takers. The Braves want to get rid of Kemp and would like to add a front line starter. The Braves owe Kemp about $18M in 2018 and 2019. The Snakes owe Greinke $31, $31.5, $32, $32M over 2018-21 with about $42.5M of that being as deferred payments from 2022-2026. The Snakes would clear current payroll space and get the Kemp statue to stand in LF making up part of a platoon with one of their young, good defensive OF. They would also clear a lot of long term money.

The Braves would get their TOR starter, get rid of Kemp but take on the risk of Greinke's decline years.

Braves might have to throw in some 2018 dollars to make it work.

I don't know if the Braves could make the finances work but maybe they could send $36M on the front end of the deal and have the Snakes assume ALL of Greinke's deferred money...
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 12-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-16-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Sabathia had a really solid year, he seemed to be back to the guy everyone was used too for so many years.

There is no sugarcoating how incredible the Yankees offseason has been -- and I hate it.

If they can grab Cole or someone like Fulmer in a trade, they'd have to be at least co-favorites with the Astros and Dodgers next year.
    I think they are a bit too RH. If MM's cost comes down, I could see them kicking his tires for 3B with eventual destination for DH.

They may think Bird is the big LH bat that they need but I think that is an unknown for now.

I still think AA should be pitching Teheran for Frazier.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think they are a bit too RH. If MM's cost comes down, I could see them kicking his tires for 3B with eventual destination for DH.

They may think Bird is the big LH bat that they need but I think that is an unknown for now.

I still think AA should be pitching Teheran for Frazier.
    They have Bird, Gardner, Gregorius, and Ellsbury (at the moment). Plus Aaron Hicks who is a switch hitter. I don't really see them being overly righty heavy. Maybe they lack a left handed superstar, but they have some really good lefties in that lineup

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'll put this here and see what everyone thinks: Kemp to Arizona for Zack Greinke with Arizona paying Greinke's bonus out and deferred payments for previous years.

Arizona is looking to create payroll space and move Greinke's contract with no takers. The Braves want to get rid of Kemp and would like to add a front line starter. The Braves owe Kemp about $18M in 2018 and 2019. The Snakes owe Greinke $31, $31.5, $32, $32M over 2018-21 with about $42.5M of that being as deferred payments from 2022-2026. The Snakes would clear current payroll space and get the Kemp statue to stand in LF making up part of a platoon with one of their young, good defensive OF. They would also clear a lot of long term money.

The Braves would get their TOR starter, get rid of Kemp but take on the risk of Greinke's decline years.

Braves might have to throw in some 2018 dollars to make it work.

I don't know if the Braves could make the finances work but maybe they could send $36M on the front end of the deal and have the Snakes assume ALL of Greinke's deferred money...
    I've been trying to think of a way to make a Greinke deal work, but Kemp certainly wouldn't fit IMO. They're trying to move money so they can get Martinez back. He's all but a DH as is, and the addition of Kemp gives them a second DH - can't see that happening.

Kemp to anyone other than an AL team - and it's close to impossible to find a fit even then - simply doesn't appear to work in any form. I really do think AA is just going to have to play him this year (in a platoon when Acuna comes up) and then try to make him disappear next season somehow.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-16-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I've been trying to think of a way to make a Greinke deal work, but Kemp certainly wouldn't fit IMO. They're trying to move money so they can get Martinez back. He's all but a DH as is, and the addition of Kemp gives them a second DH - can't see that happening.

Kemp to anyone other than an AL team - and it's close to impossible to find a fit even then - simply doesn't appear to work in any form. I really do think AA is just going to have to play him this year (in a platoon when Acuna comes up) and then try to make him disappear next season somehow.
    Maybe so. However, Kemp is kind of a Martinez extra-light right now and I think the Greinke thing may be just as much about moving his 2019-2021 years for them. If they squint they might be able to see a Kemp INSTEAD of Martinez play being ok as long as they get rid of the 2019-21 Greinke in the bargain (they have a number of OF they could sub in for Kemp late innings just as they would likely do with Martinez.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    They have Bird, Gardner, Gregorius, and Ellsbury (at the moment). Plus Aaron Hicks who is a switch hitter. I don't really see them being overly righty heavy. Maybe they lack a left handed superstar, but they have some really good lefties in that lineup
    None of those guys are really what you want to slot between Stanton and Judge.

If it were me, I would try to sell them on the idea of a Freeman and Swanson trade for Bird, Torres, Frazier, Florial and Dermis Garcia. Braves play Bird at 1B and see what he can do. They start Frazier and Acuna in AAA, Florial in AA. Start Torres in AAA to either come up as SS or 3B. 2018 sucks for the Braves BUT it's going to anyway. After 2018, the Braves clear OF space and payroll and have tons of money to spend in the best FA class in 20 years.

Yankees get Freeman to break up the Towers in the lineup and likely become the WS favorite for the next year or two (Braves don't care since they aren't likely to be on the other side facing the Yanks during this time).
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 12-16-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    None of those guys are really what you want to slot between Stanton and Judge.

If it were me, I would try to sell them on the idea of a Freeman and Swanson trade for Bird, Torres, Frazier, Florial and Dermis Garcia. Braves play Bird at 1B and see what he can do. They start Frazier and Acuna in AAA, Florial in AA. Start Torres in AAA to either come up as SS or 3B. 2018 sucks for the Braves BUT it's going to anyway. After 2018, the Braves clear OF space and payroll and have tons of money to spend in the best FA class in 20 years.

Yankees get Freeman to break up the Towers in the lineup and likely become the WS favorite for the next year or two (Braves don't care since they aren't likely to be on the other side facing the Yanks during this time).
    I mean, I guess if you are dead set on having a LRLR type lineup maybe... But even then Aaron Hicks just posted a .209 ISO in over 350 PAs, Gardner and Didi just had 20 home run seasons. Maybe it isn't perfectly ideal, but I wouldn't really call it a problem that the Yankees have to sell their entire farm to address lol. Freddie Freeman is great, but when your lineup is as stacked as the Yankees' is right now and pitching is likely the more immediate concern, would you really want to sell your three best prospects plus a promising first baseman for a fantastic first baseman and a SS with more question marks than the riddler? I'm really skeptical of that idea being at all plausible for either side. Despite the return being unreal, Braves' fans would riot if we traded Freeman right now.

I'm all for deferring current value to acquire future value if you aren't in your competitive window, but that trade is pretty far out man lol