Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Winter Meetings Predictions, Rumors, And Actual Happenings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Phillies are looking into Yelich also. Nats are talking to the Rays about Archer. That rotation would be nasty if that went down.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    A’s get Piscotty for 2 prospects.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Phillies are looking into Yelich also. Nats are talking to the Rays about Archer. That rotation would be nasty if that went down.
    Not a good scenario if both those were to happen
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,803 Posts
    Just reading a bit about the Piscotty trade. He is a Bay Area native and his mother was recently diagnosed with ALS. Appears to be a move by the Cardinals to help him out. Kudos to them.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Probably worth re-posting this Reddit write-up last month on AA from a Blue Jays fan:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm..._age_of_being/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (12-14-2017), Braves1976 (12-14-2017), jpx7 (12-14-2017), Julio3000 (12-14-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    DOB: #Braves GM Anthopoulos said not much activity today, no advancement on potential trade or signing, but did learn a player in whom they're interested is available via trade, which they weren't sure would be case (not Yelich; not a player who's been mentioned publicly, AA said)

Intriguing.
    I’m calling BS on this one too. Everything AA has said to the media has been coy. It’s all about how he has options and doesn’t have to do anything. Offering up something like this that would tip his hand on how much they want this mystery player and is out of character from what we’ve heard so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...94919615950848

Should be the Braves' mentality as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I get the feeling that because of the investigation and the long wait for a new GM, the Braves are so far behind everyone else this offseason. Other teams have long since had their internal discussions about the players they want to acquire, the players they're willing to give up, they've had chances to lay ground work, have other teams review their scouting information on players being discussed, etc.

Any offseason prep the Braves did before AA got here is now fairly useless. AA is going to have completely different ideas of the kinds of players to target and different ideas of the kinds of players to keep.

Add this to AA having to act cautiously because he doesn't know enough about our prospects to know who to trade, and we have a recipe for an uneventful Winter Meeting for the Braves and probably an offseason where very little gets done.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-14-2017), UNCBlue012 (12-14-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I get the feeling that because of the investigation and the long wait for a new GM, the Braves are so far behind everyone else this offseason. Other teams have long since had their internal discussions about the players they want to acquire, the players they're willing to give up, they've had chances to lay ground work, have other teams review their scouting information on players being discussed, etc.

Any offseason prep the Braves did before AA got here is now fairly useless. AA is going to have completely different ideas of the kinds of players to target and different ideas of the kinds of players to keep.

Add this to AA having to act cautiously because he doesn't know enough about our prospects to know who to trade, and we have a recipe for an uneventful Winter Meeting for the Braves and probably an offseason where very little gets done.
    Great angle. Anthropoulos probably doesn't have a total grasp of what he has at the minor league level and my guess is the scouting/player development folks are making a strong case to keep as many prospects in place as possible. The other part of this that is beyond Anthropoulos is that given the penalties levied by the Commissioner against the Braves, long-term minor league depth is clearly going to take a hit, which adds to the cautious approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Pads must be done rebuilding. They trade for Headley, they are calling the Marlins about Yelich, and now they’re the favorites to land Hosmer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Pads must be done rebuilding. They trade for Headley, they are calling the Marlins about Yelich, and now they’re the favorites to land Hosmer
    Dumb as hell franchise. They'll do exactly what they did two years ago.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Couple of things in the media:

1. AA says that the Braves may used young pitching prospects in the pen rather than pay a premium on relievers. Honestly, I did not really see the rationale for spending money on relievers this offseason given the options on hand. It makes sense to me that you would also use prospect depth to shore up the pen. I don't see this as an important season, so what is there to lose. The Cards pretty regularly try out their arms in the pen as well.

2. Shocked we didn't get a lot of commentary on Snitker's interview on analytics. It was sort of funny. Also even the Snit wasn't too sure about Coppy.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

It's a fair point, but I disagree - at least partially.

I definitely agree he's being cautious, but I'm not so sure it's because he doesn't know enough about who to trade. I'm of the belief that he's simply developed a small "all-but-untouchable list", and those are the only players anyone has tried to deal for just yet. I'm also willing to bet that Freddie and Acuna are on a list by themselves and actually ARE untouchable at this point following Coppygate, they likely can't be moved if you expect to keep the fanbase (such that it is). That all-but-untouchable list probably includes Ender, Gohara, Albies, Wright, Soroka, and possibly Riley - those guys are probably ONLY available in franchise-altering deals (for an established, inexpensive "Ace" like Archer or Fulmer or another face-of-the-franchise player like Machado or Donaldson). I could see Ender being moved if it were a slam-dunk "win" involving multiple pieces (say Happ and Almora or Fisher or Tucker and Moran or Davis), but I don't think any of the other guys are available otherwise.

Given the fact that I think they're sold on Riley, I still scratch my head over missing out on the chance to get Headley, but I think they plan to turn some of these young arms into RPs (maybe Newcomb, Fried, and Touki - possibly even all 3) and build a dominant pen on the cheap rather than use them in trades or pay market value for the pen help that's out there.

Check the chat that J. J. Cooper had with Fox Sports South yesterday on Twitter - it's well worth 9 minutes out of your day.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-14-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Cishek to Cubs - could they really be out on Davis? They've now got Morrow, Strop, Cishek, and Carl Edwards for the back-end.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    DMGM's busy scooping kids up now that it looks like Hosmer's gone for sure.

Wonder what the chances are that AA might make a play for Duffy? The Orioles are after him, but we could trade some of our mid-tier guys and beat anything they have to offer.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Dumb as hell franchise. They'll do exactly what they did two years ago.
    Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Theo Epstein said something after his tenure in Boston about a lesson learned--not to fall victim to the temptation to assemble a superteam in one offseason, even if you have the resources to do it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Theo Epstein said something after his tenure in Boston about a lesson learned--not to fall victim to the temptation to assemble a superteam in one offseason, even if you have the resources to do it.
    They are just looking to get a little veteran leadership and some names for the fans to watch to keep them interested during their rebuild. Don't want to stay at rock bottom too long. Give the folks a little hope.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    AA mentioned having eyes on several RPs in trades as well - if the Angels haven't locked up a deal for Headley, trying to work out something to get him and Brad Hand would make all the sense in the world as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Couple of things in the media:

1. AA says that the Braves may used young pitching prospects in the pen rather than pay a premium on relievers. Honestly, I did not really see the rationale for spending money on relievers this offseason given the options on hand. It makes sense to me that you would also use prospect depth to shore up the pen. I don't see this as an important season, so what is there to lose. The Cards pretty regularly try out their arms in the pen as well.

2. Shocked we didn't get a lot of commentary on Snitker's interview on analytics. It was sort of funny. Also even the Snit wasn't too sure about Coppy.
    Yeah, and the same article also mentioned Wade Miley as a potential addition to the rotation. Very encouraging.

The groundwork is already being laid for Excuse-fest 2018...

“AA didn’t have time to properly prepare for this offseason, so that’s why payroll is so much lower this year. NEXT year the Braves will make a HUGE jump in payroll. Top 10 payroll. Trust me, again”.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Maybe I'm too skeptical of people's true intentions, but I feel like AA is playing "country dumb" here. He's got access to some premium data we'll never see for the majors and minor leagues. He just drafted 2 players in the minor leage Rule 5 draft none of us have ever heard about.