Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really Being Pro-Life

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Really Being Pro-Life

Westminster Larger Catechism Q. 134. Which is the sixth commandment?

A. The sixth commandment is, Thou shalt not kill.

WLC Q. 135. What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?

A. The duties required in the sixth commandment are, all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves and others by resisting all thoughts and purposes, subduing all passions, and avoiding all occasions, temptations, and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any; by just defense thereof against violence, patient bearing of the hand of God, quietness of mind, cheerfulness of spirit; a sober use of meat, drink, physic, sleep, labor, and recreations; by charitable thoughts, love, compassion, meekness, gentleness, kindness; peaceable, mild and courteous speeches and behavior; forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil; comforting and succoring the distressed, and protecting and defending the innocent.

WLC Q. 136. What are the sins forbidden in the sixth commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the sixth commandment are, all taking away the life of ourselves, or of others, except in case of public justice, lawful war, or necessary defense; the neglecting or withdrawing the lawful and necessary means of preservation of life; sinful anger, hatred, envy, desire of revenge; all excessive passions, distracting cares; immoderate use of meat, drink, labor, and recreations; provoking words, oppression, quarreling, striking, wounding, and whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    First, this is convicting.

Second, I wish pro-lifers were more pro-life.

Third, some "Pro-lifers" most certainly aren't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...mpression=true

Sorry to even post this disgusting act in this thread but it's an example of just how little people value life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Despite being Libertarian I am pro-life. In my view if it has a heart beat it's alive. It doesn't have to be about religion. If it's women's body their choice then it should also be their body their problem. If women have the right to.cjoose after conception then men should to.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Despite being Libertarian I am pro-life. In my view if it has a heart beat it's alive. It doesn't have to be about religion. If it's women's body their choice then it should also be their body their problem. If women have the right to.cjoose after conception then men should to.
    I'm also in the libertarian non-religious pro-life camp. I acknowledge there is a conflict between the rights of the fetus and the rights of a woman to control her body. But I favor resolving that conflict in favor of the fetus fairly early after conception. And I don't speak up much about this debate because I do realize that a man cannot fully look at this issue from a woman's perspective. I do think that as a moral proposition the fetus has compelling rights fairly early on.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-13-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-13-2017), jpx7 (12-15-2017), The Chosen One (12-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    First, this is convicting.

Second, I wish pro-lifers were more pro-life.

Third, some "Pro-lifers" most certainly aren't.
    Can you elaborate on that?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Can you elaborate on that?

Jaw, I'd just refer back to all the ways the Westminster Larger Catechism explicates the 6th Commandment. What does it really mean to be obey the commandment in our thoughts, words, and actions? What are sins of commission and omission that violate it? When we commit them we aren't being Pro-life.

Being pro-life isn't less than opposing abortion, but it should certainly be more than that.

The sort of promotion of "Pro-life" issues while hating one's political enemies and provoking unnecessary quarrels that POTUS is given to seems sadly too prevalent to me now within my circles and imho, it helps little to persuade the hearts of others to the cause...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm also in the libertarian non-religious pro-life camp. I acknowledge there is a conflict between the rights of the fetus and the rights of a woman to control her body. But I favor resolving that conflict in favor of the fetus fairly early after conception. And I don't speak up much about this debate because I do realize that a man cannot fully look at this issue from a woman's perspective. I do think that as a moral proposition the fetus has compelling rights fairly early on.

I just kind of accepted that I won't win the fight on abortion so whatever, people can murder babies all day long. As long as it's not mine I guess it's not my problem. I don't associate with women who have had abortions which really pissed some people off but I also don't associate with men who dont support their kids. Not that I ask this info but if they tell me.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Jaw, I'd just refer back to all the ways the Westminster Larger Catechism explicates the 6th Commandment. What does it really mean to be obey the commandment in our thoughts, words, and actions? What are sins of commission and omission that violate it? When we commit them we aren't being Pro-life.

Being pro-life isn't less than opposing abortion, but it should certainly be more than that.

The sort of promotion of "Pro-life" issues while hating one's political enemies and provoking unnecessary quarrels that POTUS is given to seems sadly too prevalent to me now within my circles and imho, it helps little to persuade the hearts of others to the cause...
    I guess I was hoping for more in the way of specific issues and how you would apply the Catechism to them, but I didn't say that and I recognize how tedious it can be to try form a representative list. As an unsubtle example, I oppose both abortion and the death penalty. While I consider my stance on both issues to be "Pro Life," I vote for candidates who support the death penalty on a regular basis. I will never cast another vote for a person who I consider to be "Pro Choice." That just comes from an internal sense of which issue is most unjust.

I know other people of faith that routinely vote for Pro Choice candidates while using the excuse that the same candidate will do more to provide for those in need. That is a belief that has some basis in the Catechism on the 6th, but it's not one I would care to explain to my maker one fine day. The problem isn't really with the issues, I think anyone looking at them with clear eyes and good faith can see the appropriate stance on almost every issue. My frustration comes from the gray area of having to prioritize which of the correct stances is most important to each of us, and how each of us can all too easily use that gray area to justify the unjust.
    Go get him!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...mpression=true

Sorry to even post this disgusting act in this thread but it's an example of just how little people value life
    I totally agree. So who are, DV Biologics LLC and sister company DaVinci Biosciences LLC, both based in Yorba Linda? Who owns them? Who makes their decisions? Who profits from this terrible "line of business"?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I guess I was hoping for more in the way of specific issues and how you would apply the Catechism to them, but I didn't say that and I recognize how tedious it can be to try form a representative list. As an unsubtle example, I oppose both abortion and the death penalty. While I consider my stance on both issues to be "Pro Life," I vote for candidates who support the death penalty on a regular basis. I will never cast another vote for a person who I consider to be "Pro Choice." That just comes from an internal sense of which issue is most unjust.

I know other people of faith that routinely vote for Pro Choice candidates while using the excuse that the same candidate will do more to provide for those in need. That is a belief that has some basis in the Catechism on the 6th, but it's not one I would care to explain to my maker one fine day. The problem isn't really with the issues, I think anyone looking at them with clear eyes and good faith can see the appropriate stance on almost every issue. My frustration comes from the gray area of having to prioritize which of the correct stances is most important to each of us, and how each of us can all too easily use that gray area to justify the unjust.

For instance, POTUS' recent exchange with Sen. Gillibrand, where his words (as usual) were "provoking words, ...., quarreling, striking, wounding, and whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    For instance, POTUS' recent exchange with Sen. Gillibrand, where his words (as usual) were "provoking words, ...., quarreling, striking, wounding, and whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any."
    he is a lost soul
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I favor resolving the conflict in favor of the rights and safety of adult women, but—as I've mentioned to Bedell before—I don't think preserving the legal status of abortion precludes us from attempting to reduce the number of abortions to as close to zero as possible. There are a number of methods that have been established as promoting reduced numbers of abortions in populations even when there is still both legal and effective access to abortion. That, I think, is a better starting point than electing congresspeople whose other positions are suspect simply because they promise to "repeal" Roe v Wade (or w/e).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I favor resolving the conflict in favor of the rights and safety of adult women, but—as I've mentioned to Bedell before—I don't think preserving the legal status of abortion precludes us from attempting to reduce the number of abortions to as close to zero as possible. There are a number of methods that have been established as promoting reduced numbers of abortions in populations even when there is still both legal and effective access to abortion. That, I think, is a better starting point than electing congresspeople whose other positions are suspect simply because they promise to "repeal" Roe v Wade (or w/e).
    this
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    this

A step in the right direction!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    A step in the right direction!
    Is it really though? Aren't they just repeating the same line that we literally hear from every Democrat, ever, "Oh, I'm pro-life, I just think everyone should get to choose. And we should pay for it. With tax dollars. While thumbing our nose at the Hyde Amendment while we find ways to fund everything else abortion clinics do so they can stay open, claim to have some other raison d'etre, and focus on abortion." Isn't it the same line that our last president pulled on us, even though he opposed the Gonalez v Carhart ruling that stopped partial birth abortions, as well as the Born Alive Infant Protection Act (which even NARAL supported!!)?

Sorry. Call me fringe or whatever else, but there are really only two sides here. You are either okay with it, or you aren't. I am certainly not.
    Go get him!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Is it really though? Aren't they just repeating the same line that we literally hear from every Democrat, ever, "Oh, I'm pro-life, I just think everyone should get to choose. And we should pay for it. With tax dollars. While thumbing our nose at the Hyde Amendment while we find ways to fund everything else abortion clinics do so they can stay open, claim to have some other raison d'etre, and focus on abortion." Isn't it the same line that our last president pulled on us, even though he opposed the Gonalez v Carhart ruling that stopped partial birth abortions, as well as the Born Alive Infant Protection Act (which even NARAL supported!!)?

Sorry. Call me fringe or whatever else, but there are really only two sides here. You are either okay with it, or you aren't. I am certainly not.

It would be for 57. He has approved infanticide here before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Go get him!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-21-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Not trying to start any trouble but remember that story a few days ago about the companies in CA that got caught buying/selling fetal tissue? I asked the question who owned those companies? I know there's a lot more to this topic than just the identity of those individuals but you guys have way more resources and apparently way more time to do research on this sort of thing than I do, so has anybody found the answer to that question yet?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

That binary is not helpful. I say that as someone who formerly cleaved to said binary, espousing the other side. That binary is simply not helpful.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."