Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yeah, that's gonna hit me pretty hard here in BFE, Oklahoma too! ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I haven't done the math on the latest version of this, but the original version would have cost me a bit more than I currently pay. I was still on board with it because I expected my 401k growth to outpace the higher tax liability. The economic growth we've seen so far is based on optimism in regulation cuts and tax breaks. I expect actual tax breaks to increase that growth tremendously.

My understanding is that they reworked it to continue allowing state tax payments to be deducted? That disappoints me. I looked forward to voters in high tax states reevaluating their priorities once they didn't get a federal tax break for spending recklessly at the state level.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    This goes along with my complaint about deducting state taxes. Why should Hawk in Oklahoma or Jaw in rural West GA subsidize SoCal or NYC real estate prices?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-18-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    This goes along with my complaint about deducting state taxes. Why should Hawk in Oklahoma or Jaw in rural West GA subsidize SoCal or NYC real estate prices?
    Oh trust me Jaw, I don't subsidize anyone outside of the BS state government in OKC. They are literally the worst of both worlds. They love taxes but only on "regular folks". If I was a millionaire, billionaire, or oil company they'd be trying to cut my taxes. As it is they can't get my money in there fast enough, while doing absolutely nothing for me in return. Those pfarkwads literally cost me a pretty good paying part time gig with the Florida Virtual School because they just simply refused to work with the Florida folks to get the paperwork for deductions filled out and straightened out, AFTER I'd already been hired by Florida.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I haven't done the math on the latest version of this, but the original version would have cost me a bit more than I currently pay. I was still on board with it because I expected my 401k growth to outpace the higher tax liability. The economic growth we've seen so far is based on optimism in regulation cuts and tax breaks. I expect actual tax breaks to increase that growth tremendously.

My understanding is that they reworked it to continue allowing state tax payments to be deducted? That disappoints me. I looked forward to voters in high tax states reevaluating their priorities once they didn't get a federal tax break for spending recklessly at the state level.
    They capped the SALT (STATE and local tax) deduction at 10k which severely dampens its impact. Without that piece a majority of families are right at the 24k threshold in their itemization. Some will be over depending on their mortgage interest paid in the year but ultimately it us no much more advantageous to itemize. So in essence you still got your wish.

This tax bill is a big thank you to traditional republican areas. I don't mind that at all actually even with my tax position slightly worse. These liberal states are getting worse.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    David Sirota‏Verified account @davidsirota

BREAKING: Amid national firestorm over #CorkerKickback scandal, Orrin Hatch admits he wrote key tax provision, which enriches @SenBobCorker, Trump, @SpeakerRyan & top GOP lawmakers. Nonpartisan experts slam Hatch for asserting the provision isn't new

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, on Monday admitted he crafted a controversial tax provision, which could personally enrich Sen. Bob Corker, House Speaker Paul Ryan, President Donald Trump, and top Republican lawmakers directly overseeing the bill. The provision could additionally benefit the real estate industry — which has been one Hatch’s largest sources of campaign donations.

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-cap...oversy-2629922
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    So are you itemizing now? Just curious. My situation is this, I have one full time job, six part time jobs (teaching for online schools), married, two (supposedly) grown kids, wife is disabled, gets SS, own my own home (along with Quicken). I can't think of anything else that pertinent right off hand but I'm no tax guru by a long shot. My tax guy is really good but about as imaginative as the Braves front office. He keeps me out of jail which I suppose is a good thing, but I've always had the feeling he preferred to "keep it simple, rather than really scouring for deductions for me".

Thoughts?
    Sounds like my wife when she does taxes for people and businesses. They always ask her can she obtain more money for them. she always come back, do you want to risk them auditing you every year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I don't think she should have tweeted that. At all.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    why do you say that -
    Policy or politics/optics ?

In her defense, that is her constituency.
    she does not represent the people of Arkansas or Oklahoma

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    why do you say that -
    Policy or politics/optics ?

In her defense, that is her constituency.
    she does not represent the people of Arkansas or Oklahoma
    Who deducts the total value of their home as mortgage interest? It doesn't work that way. Unless the way she words it gives another meaning, then I'm not sure she knows how this works.

Just because the value is 1,000,000+ it in no way means that 750k worth of mortgage interest was paid.

Then follows with GOP TAX SCAM, as if reworking the limits (of deductible interest on the most affluent property owners in the nation mind you) is a "scam".
    Last edited by Tapate50; 12-18-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Sounds like my wife when she does taxes for people and businesses. They always ask her can she obtain more money for them. she always come back, do you want to risk them auditing you every year?
    I understand and appreciate a little caution here and there. It just seems like there would somewhere in the middle that could accomplish a little more of the one without an undue risk of the other, you know?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Who deducts the total value of their home as mortgage interest? It doesn't work that way. Unless the way she words it gives another meaning, then I'm not sure she knows how this works.

Just because the value is 1,000,000+ it in no way means that 750k worth of mortgage interest was paid.

Then follows with GOP TAX SCAM, as if reworking the limits (of deductible interest on the most affluent property owners in the nation mind you) is a "scam".
    You lost him....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

Her post makes sense. It is the interest incurred on 750k principal of a home loan. Any interest in excess of that is non deductible.

What she really doesn't understand is that we are talking about million dollar homes because at the very least wealthy people put down 20%. So in essence the party that rails in the rich doesn't think the rich got enough of a tax break.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Obama's signature legislation: Cost Americans thousands of dollars

Trump's signature legislation: Saves Americans thousands of dollars

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

That depends entirely on your tax bracket, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Bear in mind, "everyone is a Libertarian until their house is 10' under water "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " ... This is cynicism and greed at its most base, where the ****ing deranged president convinces his most loyal ****ing deranged voters that he is going to unleash their ability to get wealthy, like every con man at Holiday Inn conference room seminars across the country. It's just embarrassing, ..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    " ... This is cynicism and greed at its most base, where the ****ing deranged president convinces his most loyal ****ing deranged voters that he is going to unleash their ability to get wealthy, like every con man at Holiday Inn conference room seminars across the country. It's just embarrassing, ..."
    Aww man... You mean I'm not gonna get wealthy!??

Arghh, back to collusion hysteria then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    no Grasshopper

selling AMWAY isn't going to get you rich