Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax Bill

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Here's a more detailed look, from the same Urban Institute

The supposed "shrinking" of the middle class is due completely to people graduating to higher classes, not lower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    sure, the stock market has been going on an upward trajectory at all

lol
    I can understand why you support communist heroes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

The supposed "shrinking" of the middle class is due completely to people graduating to higher classes, not lower.
    This is what I took from the first graph as well. Insert 57's token forest\trees comment.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Here's a more detailed look, from the same Urban Institute

Do you have a link to the study? Does it provide information as to how the categories are defined? Richard Reeves at Brookings has written a very good book called Dream Hoarders and it's aimed at the advantages of the upper middle class. Curious to see how the Urban Institute's work jibes with his.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    hmmmmm

Whatever the metric 20% have graduated from Middle to Upper Middle classification.
    However the 10.6% gain of the rich is on the back of the lower middle and the poor. The most vulnerable. (LowerMid - 8 / Poor -3 )
    Telling me, if this upper mobility was real we would see it from, at the least, Lower Mid to Mid.
    Should we be growing the middle class as you assert, we would show gains across the board.
    This furthers my point that mobility is restricted to the top tiers of the economy
    Like I said earlier, this graph shows the economy is serving only 2 of the 5 economic classifications.
    the upper 2.
    Is that sustainable ?

Would be curious to see what the cut off middle to upper middle is -- location,status,age,demographic.
    That was why I was looking for the Urban Institute article that somewhere accompanies the graph
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-27-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Upward mobility is only possible if the individual wants it. No - Not everyone is going to get rich. But movement between Poor through Middle is not difficult with a little bit of discipline/hard work/resilience.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Whatever the metric 20% have graduated from Middle to Upper Middle classification.
    However the 10.6% gain of the rich is on the back of the lower middle and the poor. The most vulnerable. (LowerMid - 8 / Poor -3 )
    Telling me, if this upper mobility was real we would see it from, at the least, Lower Mid to Mid.
    Should we be growing the middle class as you assert, we would show gains across the board.
    This furthers my point that mobility is restricted to the top tiers of the economy
    Like I said earlier, this graph shows the economy is serving only 2 of the 5 economic classifications.
    the upper 2.
    Is that sustainable ?

Would be curious to see what the cut off middle to upper middle is -- location,status,age,demographic.
    That was why I was looking for the Urban Institute article that somewhere accompanies the graph
    You need to look at the post #241.

More people are moving out of poor and lower middle. More people are moving out of middle to upper-middle. And more people are moving out of upper-middle to rich.

By any way you slice, this is a good thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you are arguing that it would be better if more and more people stayed in middle class, rather than moving upward? If so, why do you think that is better?

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

More people are moving out of poor and lower middle. More people are moving out of middle to upper-middle. And more people are moving out of upper-middle to rich.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you are arguing that it would be better if more and more people stayed in middle class, rather than moving upward? If so, why do you think that is better?
    Because that is where Dummicrats receive their votes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

THat is the kool-aid he is fed. Call be a conspiracy theorists all you want (not directed at you Sturg) but the Globalists want 2 classes. Wealthy and lower middle class. Under the guise of progressiveism and fairness these ideals have been poison in the youths mind of our world. And its working.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Link for context ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

CK86 (12-28-2017), goldfly (12-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Therefore tax cuts were bad?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Link for context ?
    I will provide it when I'm back on PC.. but why do you need context to support your argument? The data is right there. You and LOLGOP are wrong. You should probably tweet to them to tell them to correct their inaccuracy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (12-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Therefore tax cuts were bad?
    57 and julio and goldy and jpx has a right to ATT's profits.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i support communist heroes?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    57 and julio and goldy and jpx has a right to ATT's profits.
    Indeed: workers do have a right to a greater share in the profits derived from the surplus value of their labor.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Indeed: workers do have a right to a greater share in the profits derived from the surplus value of their labor.
    I've never understood the Republican aversion to unions in the private sector. I just spent a few days with a couple of relatives who each worked loyally with the same employer for 40+ years. Now they have a decent retirement income thanks to the pensions they receive because their unions negotiated for them. Both companies made plenty of money and are still going strong, and both retirees are still active members of the economy due to their disposable income. What's the problem? Is this still just left over from the old Tammany Hall "voter turnout" jobs the unions pulled for Democrats centuries ago, or what?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

57Brave (12-28-2017), jpx7 (12-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I've never understood the Republican aversion to unions in the private sector. I just spent a few days with a couple of relatives who each worked loyally with the same employer for 40+ years. Now they have a decent retirement income thanks to the pensions they receive because their unions negotiated for them. Both companies made plenty of money and are still going strong, and both retirees are still active members of the economy due to their disposable income. What's the problem? Is this still just left over from the old Tammany Hall "voter turnout" jobs the unions pulled for Democrats centuries ago, or what?
    I don't believe that Unions are always in the best interest of the workers. When you have a centralized body to negotiate that is both a positive and negative. Proper legal repesentation is key in contract negotiations but it also opens up the ability to bribe a select few for a greater impact. If the market is truly free workers have the option to leave. In the economy we are in now where the demand is greater than the supply workers have a dominant positions from the sheer choice of jobs. I'm fortunate to be in an in demand field so it doesn't apply to all markets but as long as we keep promoting friendly business enviornment policies that demand is only going to increase. Limit illegals and give the poor class more opportunity to succeed.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    The workers have the option of leaving into a robust market for their services.

Who determines this right? How do you define greater share?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/af...rticle/2644488

The insurance company said beginning next year, it will increase its 401(k) match from 50 percent to 100 percent on the first 4 percent of employee contributions and will also contribute $500 to each employee’s 401(k) plan.
    Aflac also pledged to boost its investment in the U.S. by $250 million over the next three to five years by growing its U.S. operation and expanding benefits and training programs for workers.

“We are pleased that these tax reforms provide Aflac with an opportunity to increase our investments in initiatives that reflect our company values; providing for our employees in the long and short term, ensuring growth for our company and giving back to the community,” Aflac CEO Dan Amos said.
    Natural Immunity Croc