Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax Bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm just not sure the cause-and-effect here is as clear cut as you guys are suggesting it is.

Wal-Mart (for example) is not going to start paying workers more and offering better benefits because they want to. A tight and competitive labor market dictates that they should.
    Why do you think we have a competitive labor market?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    People wanna focus on the bonuses... That's fine.

But we've seen pay increases, 401k increases, cost reductions (utility companies), benefit increases, Capex commitments, charitable contributions increases as well.

The bill passed last month.

Not to mention the increase in stock equities and eventually earnings which should increase dividends

I'm not sure why this is being downplayed from the left. The benefits are helping everyone financially
    And on top of those increases in compensation in many forms actual tax obligation is reducing. Its a big boon to the American people
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why do you think we have a competitive labor market?
    [head explodes]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    [head explodes]
    I know you know the answer but don't want to say it. Instead of subpar part time work or contracted work we are getting REAL jobs at REAL wages. That is what is driving the competition.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    People wanna focus on the bonuses... That's fine.

But we've seen pay increases, 401k increases, cost reductions (utility companies), benefit increases, Capex commitments, charitable contributions increases as well.

The bill passed last month.

Not to mention the increase in stock equities and eventually earnings which should increase dividends

I'm not sure why this is being downplayed from the left. The benefits are helping everyone financially
    I think these are very important. I'm just not as quick to bite that they were primarily owing to the tax bill.

And IMO it's pretty tone deaf to talk about dividends and then say "helping everyone financially."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I know you know the answer but don't want to say it. Instead of subpar part time work or contracted work we are getting REAL jobs at REAL wages. That is what is driving the competition.
    You are seriously going to argue that 11 months of Donald Trump has fundamentally changed the job market. GTFO. There is a worldwide economic expansion going on, and you think Donald Trump created it.

It's genuinely delusional. Short of a catastrophic world event, neither an economy nor a job market turns on a dime.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (01-11-2018), goldfly (01-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You are seriously going to argue that 11 months of Donald Trump has fundamentally changed the job market. GTFO. There is a worldwide economic expansion going on, and you think Donald Trump created it.

It's genuinely delusional. Short of a catastrophic world event, neither an economy nor a job market turns on a dime.
    Who says it has anything to do with Trump? He is pushing a freedom approach to the economy. That is what is the cause of this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    And IMO it's pretty tone deaf to talk about dividends and then say "helping everyone financially."
    Well, he didn't.

He talked about pay increases, 401K increases, cost reductions, etc., et al, and then tossed in stock equities and dividends specifically outside of the general list of increases (so, technically, everyone was provided for).

You want to keep up the "it's only for the rich!" chant, that's fine and dandy - and I agree with you more than I don't - but the premise needs to be accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, he didn't.

He talked about pay increases, 401K increases, cost reductions, etc., et al, and then tossed in stock equities and dividends specifically outside of the general list of increases (so, technically, everyone was provided for).

You want to keep up the "it's only for the rich!" chant, that's fine and dandy - and I agree with you more than I don't - but the premise needs to be accurate.
    I share the reservation that this tax plan was targeted too heavily at the wealthy and not enough at everyone else. Every new tax burden seems to fall primarily on the middle and upper middle classes, so it would have been nice for this one to reverse some of that. We all know how ridiculous of a notion that is, but one can always dream.

Having said that, I can't recall any other time in my life where so many people I know are getting raises (in some form) at the same time. I'm very pleasantly surprised and hope the wage growth continues.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Well, he didn't.

Fair enough.

I've acknowledge in my previous discussion of the tax bill that there is indeed a benefit to everyone. Though IMO that's essentially just enabling a bit of rhetorical sleight-of-hand to allow folks to say "everybody will benefit!" without the necessity of explaining to what extent they do so. And, in my defense, my cry isn't "it's only for the rich!", but something more like "it's overwhelmingly for the rich!"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (01-11-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I share the reservation that this tax plan was targeted too heavily at the wealthy and not enough at everyone else. Every new tax burden seems to fall primarily on the middle and upper middle classes, so it would have been nice for this one to reverse some of that. We all know how ridiculous of a notion that is, but one can always dream.

Having said that, I can't recall any other time in my life where so many people I know are getting raises (in some form) at the same time. I'm very pleasantly surprised and hope the wage growth continues.
    I think I could be more accepting of the new tax scheme if it came on the heels of positive healthcare, tuition, or some other variety of truly useful reform. As Julio mentioned, there are still many things out there that the working class is being forced to run the gauntlet in order to accomplish/provide for, and, unfortunately, tax reform doesn't make much of a dent.

I do think it's a step toward a positive direction, though, and like you, I can't help but be encouraged the sector-wide growth we're witnessing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think I could be more accepting of the new tax scheme if it came on the heels of positive healthcare, tuition, or some other variety of truly useful reform. As Julio mentioned, there are still many things out there that the working class is being forced to run the gauntlet in order to accomplish/provide for, and, unfortunately, tax reform doesn't make much of a dent.

I do think it's a step toward a positive direction, though, and like you, I can't help but be encouraged the sector-wide growth we're witnessing.
    How far would you like to go with this though? I don't see life ever being 'fair'. We will always have the haves and the have nots. I'm ok with knowing I will never be wealthy. Personally I've moved from lower middle class to almost upper middle class depending on how you define upper middle class. I think thats a great thing and wouldn't expect any more than that.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Yeah, this is the tax reform bill.

It isn't the tuition reform bill, or the healthcare reform bill (\fail). So I'm not really seeing where gripes about those matters about the tax reform bill can be validated.

This is helping people. Is it a final solution for all facets of ones financial responsibilities? No. But lets call it what it is folks...a DAMN good start
    Ivermectin Man

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (01-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm sure Sam clubs just randomly closed profitable stores.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I'm sure Sam clubs just randomly closed profitable stores.
    Sams Club is dying. Apps\sites like Boxed and Amazon are the future. Hell, I barely step inside a store anymore, even for groceries.
    Ivermectin Man

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-11-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Costco the tits tho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Costco the tits tho
    Am I dreaming that they have been hit pretty hard too?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Sams Club is dying. Apps\sites like Boxed and Amazon are the future. Hell, I barely step inside a store anymore, even for groceries.
    Yup - Which raises all types of other problems and why I'm against outfits like Amazon although they provide tremendous opportunities for small business that don't want brick and mortar.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Am I dreaming that they have been hit pretty hard too?
    Their stock is doing great