Thread: Bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts

Bench

So after today's big trade, what might the bench look like.

We know Suzuki will be the backup catcher. Presumably Culberson utility infielder. Then maybe Lane Adams as a backup outfielder. I see a need for a lefty bat with some pop. Presumably someone with a bit more defensive versatility than Matt Adams. Within the system, Rio Ruiz comes close, but I think likely we start him in AAA and go for someone outside the organization.

Seth Smith is someone who comes to mind. He could "share" left for a while until Acuna comes up. Then be our primary pinch hitter against righties.

I kinda regret our letting Santana go. He would have cost a bit more than Culberson if we had tendered him, but I think he is the better player.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-16-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Curtis Granderson is out there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The other two interesting ones to me are Cam Maybin and Carlos Gomez.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Curtis Granderson is out there.
    Not a bad idea. The question with players like him is whether they have reconciled themselves to a smaller role or still see themselves as everyday players. At the end of the day the market answers that question. If he is unsigned when spring training rolls around, he might be amenable to a smaller role.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The other two interesting ones to me are Cam Maybin and Carlos Gomez.
    Had kinda wondered about bringing Cam "home", but it'd probably have to be later this winter and he'd have to be desperate - to get him on the cheap. He's bound to fit with someone (even as a 4th OF) that would pay him more money than we'd like to spend - especially if we could somehow add Headley.

I can't imagine Gomez or Smith could be had cheaply enough for the same reasons, but I'd be interested to see what it would take to get to have Ichiro hang around for another year. Not the pop nsacpi's looking for, but if we bumped power with a Camargo to Headley upgrade, would the extra pop be THAT necessary? He'd certainly improve the OF defense when you use him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I didn’t know the Braves had more than 2 MLB caliber starting position players and we have people wondering about the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    I'm guessing the bench will look like it's made of wood. Mist likely pine. Probably fairly dirty. Maybe some gum stuck to the underside.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-16-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Any OFer acquired to soak up PAs while Acuna finishes simmering in AAA would preferably bat RHed to platoon with Markakis when Acuna is called up. That guy could be Lane Adams, but the Braves could upgrade to someone like Austin Jackson, who I wanted for the exact same role last year.

This is an area where the Braves can wait until the end of the offseason and grab someone at a bargain.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    This could be an awful idea, because I haven't really looked into him beyond just a quick look at his stats, but what about maybe bringing in Danny Valencia? We could probably get him relatively cheaply, he has a little bit of pop in his bat, he can get on base, and he can play 3rd or a corner outfield spot if we get desperate. He probably doesn't fit our current goal of becoming more defense oriented, but he just seemed like an intriguing guy when I gave him a quick look

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I wonder if Charlie Culberson is related to former Braves' minor league player and current Armstrong State Head Coach Calvain Culberson. Charlie and Calvain are both from Rome, Georgia. I'm guessing cousins or uncle/nephew.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wonder if Charlie Culberson is related to former Braves' minor league player and current Armstrong State Head Coach Calvain Culberson. Charlie and Calvain are both from Rome, Georgia. I'm guessing cousins or uncle/nephew.
    Or both, considering they are from the south?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-17-2017)