Thread: Greinke

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Greinke

Now here's the chance to REALLY get creative. Harry mentioned it yesterday, and I just couldn't see Kemp as part of the deal. Now, however, he's no longer hanging over AA's head.

All the reports I've read say they weren't interested in taking a bad contract back, but what about a good contract??? Those reports also mentioned that Arizona would also be looking for a much less expensive starter in the event he's dealt, so...

Julio and Allard for Greinke with the Diamondbacks eating the deferred money while we pay the installments that cover his initial signing bonus ($3 million per).

Both are under control for the same amount of time, and Allard will give them another SP within 2 years. Greinke would become a 4 year/$96 million investment for the Braves and be the "Ace" we've needed forever - on about as good a contract as we could ask for. If we really have $130 million available, replacing Julio with Zack puts us right at the number for 2018 ($130,705,000 if all bonuses are reached this season), and our rotation then becomes Greinke, Gohara, Folty, Newcomb, McCarthy with Fried and Sims to fill in when needed and Soroka and Wright on the way. It also adds your "Ace" while only pushing committed payroll in 2019 to ~ $50,300,000 meaning AA can still play on Donaldson. Bump the AAV for him to $30 million per to get him on a 4 year deal, and you'd control Greinke and the rest of the rotation, Freeman, Donaldson, Ender, Albies, and Acuna through at least 2021 with plenty of money left to spend starting next season in the event Riley doesn't become your LF, you need to go get a Closer (Kimbrel, Miller, Robertson, Britton, Herrera, Allen, Doolittle, and Familia will all be available), and what's left should cover arby raises and/or extensions.

It would leave the D-Backs with Ray as their "Ace", Corbin, Walker, Godley, and Julio with Duplantier, Allard, and Clarke on the way and clear much of the money they need to try to re-sign Martinez.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think we need to preserve flexibility. We know we will be needing a left fielder. There is also a good chance we will be needing a third baseman. Taking on a huge contract like Greinke's (even if only part of it) will compromise our ability to upgrade left and third as we go into 2019.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Evad (12-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Braves will not be trading for Greinke.

They have punted 2018.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Yeah, my thinking was that the risk of Grienke might be swallowed if you could send Kemp the other way. Now Kemp is gone and 2018 is realistically off the table, I see no reason to pay anything for Greinke. If the D'Backs really wanted to make it a salary dump and worth the Braves while, then maybe.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Nope.

The risk is way too high. Even with the D-Backs paying the deferred money, we're taking on a 4 year contract on a 34 year old. So we're paying for Greinke's 34, 35, 36, and 37 year old season. If we consider some of his comps according to BR. Oswalt was basically done at 34, Saberhagen done after 35, Guidry last effective at 35.

Odds are we only get 1-2 years of high level production from Greinke. Of course we could do better. We could also do so much worse.

As far as Julio, if he sucks and isn't worth it, we owe him 20M before his contract winds up. Greinke would cost us just shy of 100M before the end of the contract. So it becomes an 80M dollar risk. On a 34-37 year old.

I think Greinke could very well be worth his contract. But that's a massive gamble to take. Basically betting our next 4 years on Greinke.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Hey guys we just cleared a **** contract that was hamstringing us. Let’s jump into another potential landlmine type deal. Yeah.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Hey guys we just cleared a **** contract that was hamstringing us. Let’s jump into another potential landlmine type deal. Yeah.
    Clv gonna clv.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They have punted 2018.
    as they should
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If Greinke were on the right side of thirty, or even right at thirty, it'd make a little more sense. If he were a position-player at an area of need, it might even make more than a modicum of sense. But as zeets points out, the age factor really enhances the risk and limits the likely reward, especially considering he's a pitcher.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves will not be trading for Greinke.

They have punted 2018.
    Unless they make surprising trades for Yelich and Archer I totally agree!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    If Greinke were on the right side of thirty, or even right at thirty, it'd make a little more sense. If he were a position-player at an area of need, it might even make more than a modicum of sense. But as zeets points out, the age factor really enhances the risk and limits the likely reward, especially considering he's a pitcher.
    Hence landline deal. Nope nope nope.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Unless they make surprising trades for Yelich and Archer I totally agree!
    I believe they will make some marginal moves aimed at improving defense and maybe given the team room to make a run at it if the pitching comes around.

Otherwise, no real reason to accept McCarthy and Culbertson back in the trade rather than a prospect or something.