Thread: Assuming We're Not In On Yelich

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Assuming We're Not In On Yelich

(Although we all hope we are.)

Would you trade for Barraclough by himself?

Following the Kemp deal, we're at roughly $119,255,000 including all bonuses if reached (which they obviously won't be). Even with a significant bump for a 0-3 player, you're still under $120 million if you were to add Barraclough to upgrade the pen. If we happened to get really lucky and were able to land Nunez to bridge to Riley (or Donaldson) and Maybin to bridge to Acuna on 1 year/$5 million deals, AA would've accomplished EVERY objective (add a veteran SP, upgrade the pen, and improve the OF defense) while also getting Kemp's 2019 money off the books.

Not real sure what it would take to add Barraclough without taking on bad money, but it might be worth looking into. Given the money coming off the books in 2019, I might even give Maybin a 2 year deal (to see if you could reduce the AAV) so you have your 4th OF next season without having to look for him on the open market. Then if you pursue Donaldson and want to move Riley to LF, you've bought time for the transition pretty cheaply since you could just start next season with Cam there and Adams as your 4th OF out of the gate if needed.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Not to get off track here, but I haven't seen anyone mention the deffered money on Kazmir's conract. We should only be on the hook for $8M this year, which should have us around $111M

I don't know if this has been discussed or not yet. That's a big thread I have not wanted to open and go down that rabbit hole

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Not to get off track here, but I haven't seen anyone mention the deffered money on Kazmir's conract. We should only be on the hook for $8M this year, which should have us around $111M

I don't know if this has been discussed or not yet. That's a big thread I have not wanted to open and go down that rabbit hole
    I think the Braves have some discretion as to how they book or budget this. My guess is they will book it in 2018 so as to clear payroll for subsequent years.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

All reading between the lines from what I've read - was hoping we'd have clarification of what he's owed soon, but for now I've been treating him as $16 million - but if that report is right, we'd certainly have enough money to make all three moves above with a little left to spare.

As others have mentioned, AA is likely to keep some powder dry for in-season moves, but I'd have to admit I'd be awfully tempted since signing Maybin buys you all the time you need for Acuna, signing Nunez gives you a hedge against potential Swanson struggles, and Barraclough at least gives you another option to close (if he's not given the job out of the gates).

All those would add up to a *elluva first offseason for AA in my book.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-18-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    (Although we all hope we are.)

Would you trade for Barraclough by himself?

Following the Kemp deal, we're at roughly $119,255,000 including all bonuses if reached (which they obviously won't be). Even with a significant bump for a 0-3 player, you're still under $120 million if you were to add Barraclough to upgrade the pen. If we happened to get really lucky and were able to land Nunez to bridge to Riley (or Donaldson) and Maybin to bridge to Acuna on 1 year/$5 million deals, AA would've accomplished EVERY objective (add a veteran SP, upgrade the pen, and improve the OF defense) while also getting Kemp's 2019 money off the books.

Not real sure what it would take to add Barraclough without taking on bad money, but it might be worth looking into. Given the money coming off the books in 2019, I might even give Maybin a 2 year deal (to see if you could reduce the AAV) so you have your 4th OF next season without having to look for him on the open market. Then if you pursue Donaldson and want to move Riley to LF, you've bought time for the transition pretty cheaply since you could just start next season with Cam there and Adams as your 4th OF out of the gate if needed.
    I'm not trading talent for a RP with all of the young arms we have.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-18-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm not trading talent for a RP with all of the young arms we have.
    Yea, I feel like Barraclough only makes sense for the Braves if he's the inducement for taking dead-ish salary (such as Prado).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (12-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yea, I feel like Barraclough only makes sense for the Braves if he's the inducement for taking dead-ish salary (such as Prado).
    and with salaries we took on in the Kemp deal a Prado/Barraclough deal is no longer plausible
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    and with salaries we took on in the Kemp deal a Prado/Barraclough deal is no longer plausible
    Roster is pretty much set.

Payroll has been decreased from last season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    It's possible we add more to the payroll if an opportunity to take money on presents itself during the year.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg