Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    where did Maitan come in at?
    He sucks now, doesn’t love baseball, and is fat and overpaid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    I’m no ratings’ expert, but minter seems to be a lock to be an mlb setup guy at worst. Are relievers rated poorly just for being relievers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I’m no ratings’ expert, but minter seems to be a lock to be an mlb setup guy at worst. Are relievers rated poorly just for being relievers?

I remember having this same argument about Kimbrel on Sickels website 10 years back. People chastised me for even suggestion that Kimbrel should have been one of our top 10 prospects. A HOF career later and it shows that in rare cases, not saying Minter is one of them, relief pitchers should be rated highly.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scou...couting-scale/

Right now, Minter likely profiles as a good setup guy or a low end closer. That’s a grade 50 player, which is likely dropped to a FV 45 due to injury risk.

That would place Minter squarely in the Braves Top 20. In fact, FG had him ranked #20 at the beginning of last year.

I think the crew over at talkingchop is a bit....let’s just say they are a bit down on Minter compared to the rest of baseball.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Basically yes. A one inning rp has a small impact and should not be ranked high in a good system.

Doesn’t mean he’s not good. Or that he’s not valuable. It’s prospect rankings. I’m going to rank encarnacion higher even though he may never sniff the majors and minter will play this year

Minter has to stay healthy. Rank him wherever. If he stays healthy he’s a high leverage rp

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scou...couting-scale/

Right now, Minter likely profiles as a good setup guy or a low end closer. That’s a grade 50 player, which is likely dropped to a FV 45 due to injury risk.

That would place Minter squarely in the Braves Top 20. In fact, FG had him ranked #20 at the beginning of last year.

I think the crew over at talkingchop is a bit....let’s just say they are a bit down on Minter compared to the rest of baseball.
    Sounds like they had a disagreement between them where to rank a reliever.

I’d rank someone who has already demonstrated high leverage ability somewhat higher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Sounds like they had a disagreement between them where to rank a reliever.

I’d rank someone who has already demonstrated high leverage ability somewhat higher.
    Simply put, they don’t have a sound ranking system in place that they can follow.

A 1-2 win player is a 1-2 win player regardless of the position he plays. Minter is, without a doubt, an impact BP arm whose value is watered down by injury risk. At worst he is a high end FV 40 guy due to that risk, which is still a Top 20 guy in the Braves system.

Their ranking system is “I think he ranks about here”, and not much more. They are factually wrong with the ranking of Minter.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    When talking about Minter I'm wondering what may be the best way to use him. Seeing how relievers with high save totals make bank in arbitration and the ones with low save totals get the shaft would it make sense to use him as a weapon in any inning and let someone else paid less rack up the saves or would it be wise to do a closer by committee so nobody racks up too many saves thus costing more in arbitration.

I think the arbitration situation will change in a few years and we may have an opportunity to manipulate it with AJ before it does, while also making more intellgently sounds bullpen decisions.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    When talking about Minter I'm wondering what may be the best way to use him. Seeing how relievers with high save totals make bank in arbitration and the ones with low save totals get the shaft would it make sense to use him as a weapon in any inning and let someone else paid less rack up the saves or would it be wise to do a closer by committee so nobody racks up too many saves thus costing more in arbitration.

I think the arbitration situation will change in a few years and we may have an opportunity to manipulate it with AJ before it does, while also making more intellgently sounds bullpen decisions.
    I think we should let him close because he’s an injury risk and has the mindset.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    I think we should let him close because he’s an injury risk and has the mindset.
    Yes, if we beleive there's an inherant injury risk, then riding him hard and not worrying about arbitration years could be a good idea.