Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    A fair trade for Yellich is Wright, Soroka and Pache.
    It would be tough, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I’m assuming Gohara’s value is higher since he’s big league ready, so I would likely prefer to trade him. While I like Gohara, I think it’s more likely that his value is a little inflated based off last season.
    This is where I'm at as well. The fact that most prefer Gohara over Wright means he probably has more percevied value in a trade, but I do think he could be somewhat overvalued based off of his success last season. There are a couple of other possible issues. He's never pitched more than 70 innings before this year, which could be viewed as a plus or a negative depending on how you look at it. The big worry for me is the conditioning though. If he's had conditioning problems as a teenager when you should be in top physical condition he's going to have issues as an adult.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Agreed on this. Lots of indication that he will be a TOR pitcher. To be able to maintain that velcoity/command into the late innings is a skill only a handful of pitchers have.
    That's a valid point and I wouldn't argue against it. Ideally I'd like to keep both

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    If this thing ends up happening, will this turn into a “Hot Nudism” type of thread? I’ve always wanted one of those on my resume.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-04-2018), clvclv (01-04-2018), CrimsonCowboy (01-04-2018), Freshmaker (01-04-2018), UNCBlue012 (01-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Hypothetical question for the board.

Would you rather keep Gohara or Wright in a scenario like this? I think most would say Gohara, but I think I'd lean towards keeping Wright.
    Gohara has already proven he can do it in the majors. Wright has proven nothing. That's a very silly question and an even sillier conclusion

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-04-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Gohara has already proven he can do it in the majors. Wright has proven nothing. That's a very silly question and an even sillier conclusion
    Haha...Easy killer.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    How about this . Just hold off and see is Pache takes a step this year. I think the bidding war for these guys will be too crazy. Only thing I would like, would be trading Julio and flipping some of those prospects along with a few of ours.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This makes total sense.

Stanton was traded 12/9. Kemp was traded 12/16.

Before trading Kemp, the Braves could have afforded to take on bad money from Miami to get Yelich, and that was probably the Braves preferred course of action.

When the Marlins pumped the brakes, the Braves pivoted to Plan B, which was the trade with the Dodgers.

Considering the Braves took McCarthy and Kazmir from the Dodgers, it is logical to assume they were going to take Chen, Tazawa and/or Zeigler from the Marlins. I have to imagine Prado was also likely involved.

Now that the Braves added all the Dodgers bad money to 2018, they don't have any payroll space left to take bad contracts unless they unload Teheran and/or Markakis.

There are still several plausible scenarios to get Yeluch in Atlanta. It's just a matter of how much drama AA wants to stir up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I get that the Marlins have taken less and we will try for less. I also think the Marlins will want to "win the press conference" for these guys.

We will try to throw MLB ready guys like Newk, Fried and Sims at them. Marlins can talk about them being ready now and their prospect pedigree as first round guys. Maybe we can sell high on Comargo. I do think they'll need Pache as the Yelich of the future. I HATE moving Pache b/c I think he's going to make a huge jump this year. But you can't get something for nothing... They will need Anderson or Wright to be the big chip and instantly be the number one guy in their system. Then you build it out. Maybe they'd like the distraction of including guys like Blair, Wisler, Peterson and Demeritte to make the haul look big.

Maybe you can sell high on Jackson as the Realmuto replacement. Maybe they'd value him in the 15-20 milion area.
    I think you're right.

If the Braves don't take on bad money, the only way a trade for Yelich really makes sense is if the Marlins over value non-scrub MLB-ready guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    A fair trade for Yellich is Wright, Soroka and Pache.
    That's still at least 1 FV 50 guy short. Someone like Newk or Fried would have to be included.

I consider those 3 guys to be the cream of the non-Acuna crop. I would not part with that package for Yelich.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I disgaree that we cannot take on money because of shedding Kemp's salary. I think that was to shed salary, not to go in to next offseason spending a ton of money on free agents. That's no AA's style. It's just a slikely he takes on salary.

I do agree that if we were to make a trade for Yelich/Realmuto that it would defeinitely lead to trading Nick and Flowers for obvious reasons and could possibly even mean trading Ender.

If we add in Yelich ($7M) Realmuto ($4M) and Chen ($8M) and we trade Nick (-$8M assuming we eat 2.5M) Ender (-$4.7M) and Flowers (-$4M) we're only taking on 2.3M in 2018 not counting whatever we get in return for Ender and Flowers if they are major league players or not.

Doing the same thing and keeping Ender we only take on $7M.
    Those salary figures are important. The fact Chen only makes $8M in 2018 is especially important because it makes it more plausible that the Braves can afford to take him as part of the package to offset Yelich's value.

Adding Yelich/Chen/Prado and subtracting Teheran/Markakis is almost exactly salary neutral. If the return for Teheran offsets part of the cost of acquiring Yelich...it just might be plausible.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-04-2018 at 12:40 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Hypothetical question for the board.

Would you rather keep Gohara or Wright in a scenario like this? I think most would say Gohara, but I think I'd lean towards keeping Wright.
    Gohara still has the injury and conditioning concerns, while Wright didn't exactly light things up in his professional debut. I think Wright, Gohara and Soroka are the 3 keepers out of all the pitching prospects, so I can't say I'd want to give up any of the 3.

I suppose it would come down to whichever one the Marlins insisted on being in the return, then I would have to weigh it as part of the total package going to Miami.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Gohara still has the injury and conditioning concerns, while Wright didn't exactly light things up in his professional debut. I think Wright, Gohara and Soroka are the 3 keepers out of all the pitching prospects, so I can't say I'd want to give up any of the 3.

I suppose it would come down to whichever one the Marlins insisted on being in the return, then I would have to weigh it as part of the total package going to Miami.
    I'm absolutely with you on those three. Every other young pitcher (Newcomb, Allard, Anderson, etc) would be available but I really, really don't want to give up any of Wright, Gohara, or Soroka.

Can the Braves even trade Wright yet? I seem to remember something about not being able to trade prospects until a year after they'd been drafted.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

That's a tough call, but ordinarily I'd keep the high-ceiling guy who's closer to contributing, as he's less risky, but maybe the injury/conditioning questions balance this out some. Injuries, anyway. I don't know if being chunky is to LG's long-term detriment (in baseball, anyway).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm absolutely with you on those three. Every other young pitcher (Newcomb, Allard, Anderson, etc) would be available but I really, really don't want to give up any of Wright, Gohara, or Soroka.

Can the Braves even trade Wright yet? I seem to remember something about not being able to trade prospects until a year after they'd been drafted.
    That was the old rule. Now they can be traded after the WS ends.

Wright is fair game.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Gohara. Not close for me.
    This.

My guess is that Gohara is one of the "untouchables" - along with Albies and Acuna - even in a deal for Yelich. Wright is very close to being in that group, but if AA simply HAD TO include him to get a deal done for him without taking bad money back, he's probably in play.

It's a really off the wall scenario, but given the money available next season, the mention that we could be in on Arrieta as well wouldn't be completely out of the question if you were able to get Yelich without adding future bad money. It's inefficient as others are right to point out (without a doubt), but not "impossible". Say you overpay in prospects to get Yelich (for argument's sake let's say Fried, Soroka, Allard, Pache, and a throw-in like a Muller/Jackson type. Yelich's money this year would only push salaries to around $120.5 million (including potential bonuses). That would leave you a rotation of Gohara, Julio, Newcomb, Folty, and McCarthy with ~ $10 million left IF there is $130 million available to spend. If there is someone who is willing to give you a couple pretty good prospects back for Julio since he's a better value than Cobb or Lynn (Milwaukee's now said to be interested in Lorenzo Cain and willing to make OFs available - maybe offer them Julio for Brett Phillips and Corbin Burnes), you've now got $18-ish million.

The Cubs were rumored to be willing to go 4 years/$110 million for Arrieta ($27.5 per), but does anybody really believe he wouldn't already have signed if that was the case? If FanGraphs' (4/$96 million) or MLBTR's (4/$100 million) projections are right, you'd only need to backload $7 million spread out over the final three years of a deal for him to play at that level (and if the chunk of the deferred Kazmir money is actually available this season, you're even closer).

It's as unlikely as it gets, but if all that came to pass you'd be looking at a rotation of Arrieta, Gohara, McCarthy, Newcomb, Folty in 2018 with Wright teed-up to replace McCarthy on the cheap in 2019.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-04-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Would they trade ender in the deal?

Imagine marlins selling that they got a gold glove cf back plus.

For next yr we lost yelich but we got a gold glove cf in ender, a third baseman in Ruiz , starters in fried newk wisler , and futur Star in allard and someone. Plus we shed some long term salary in Chen

I actually could see the marlins wanting ender to make it look like they are trying. They might want rio Ruiz to have a shot at 3b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    That was the old rule. Now they can be traded after the WS ends.

Wright is fair game.
    Thanks! Hard to keep up with all the rule changes

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Would they trade ender in the deal?

Imagine marlins selling that they got a gold glove cf back plus.

For next yr we lost yelich but we got a gold glove cf in ender, a third baseman in Ruiz , starters in fried newk wisler , and futur Star in allard and someone. Plus we shed some long term salary in Chen

I actually could see the marlins wanting ender to make it look like they are trying. They might want rio Ruiz to have a shot at 3b
    Trading Ender to get Yelich makes no sense. Having an Acuna, Ender, Yelich outfield would be the plan. I could see Ender shopped in a few years but not in this deal.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Also, everyone acts like every single prospect we have will pan out.

The reason you build a deep system is for situations like this. As long as it didnt cost Acuna, Albies or Gohara, everyone else is fair game. Sure it would hurt, but thats the reason you build such a deep farm system.