Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Holy ****. If that’s the real deal you don’t hesitate to do it. Keeping Acuna and Albies?

I’ll even throw in someone like Dansby for them. Even Touki. Everyone says Dansby is the next Jeter. Well Jeter should acquire him.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Holy ****. If that’s the real deal you don’t hesitate to do it. Keeping Acuna and Albies?

I’ll even throw in someone like Dansby for them. Even Touki. Everyone says Dansby is the next Jeter. Well Jeter should acquire him.
    Trading Albies or Acuna or Yelich is counter productive

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-04-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Trading Albies or Acuna or Yelich is counter productive
    I don’t want to trade them.

I’m just amazed we could be snagging Realmuto and Yelich for basically “potential” and Flowers who’s a FA next year anyways.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I don’t want to trade them.

I’m just amazed we could be snagging Realmuto and Yelich for basically “potential” and Flowers who’s a FA next year anyways.
    We're not. That was a trade scenario made up by someone who doesn't really know what they are talking about.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-05-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Rosenthal- #Marlins NOT seeking to attach Prado, Castro or any other high-salaried player to Yelich and/or Realmuto in trade talks, sources tell The Athletic. Financial pressure no longer as severe; payroll currently projects to $96.8M, per Cot’s Baseball Contracts. MIA seeking best talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Rosenthal- #Marlins NOT seeking to attach Prado, Castro or any other high-salaried player to Yelich and/or Realmuto in trade talks, sources tell The Athletic. Financial pressure no longer as severe; payroll currently projects to $96.8M, per Cot’s Baseball Contracts. MIA seeking best talent.
    Don’t do it then

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    If that’s the case I don’t honk it makes sense for the Braves to kick in $100M in prospect value while still being non-contenders.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The best scenario for us to get Yelich is to trade JT for prospects and flip them to Miami along with a a couple of our own.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I figured this was the case after Ozuna and Stanton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We should never give up assets for a catcher. I think their production is too varied.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If that’s the case I don’t honk it makes sense for the Braves to kick in $100M in prospect value while still being non-contenders.
    I wouldnt do it for both Realmuto and Yelich. Suzuki and Flowers is good enough.

But if it didnt cost Albies or Acuna, i'd trade for Yelich in a heartbeat.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I figured that last week...

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...062#post453062
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You didn’t “figure” anything. The Marlins were reported to not be interested in watering down the values of Yelich or Realmuto in this article by Frisaro:

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/mar...rs/c-264094664

“At this point, the Marlins are basically at their projected payroll of under $100 million. There is no urgency to deal Yelich, who has $43.25 million remaining on a contract that runs through 2021, plus a club option for '22.

Realmuto is entering his first year of arbitration, and isn't eligible for free agency until after the 2020 season.”

“the Marlins are not looking to water down the return for either player”

In fact, you likely regurgitated that on these boards right after reading it on mlb.com, as is typical for you.

Stop trying to pass off the ideas and work of others as your own. You don’t have any ideas worth sharing, so just stick to listening to XM radio.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-04-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think there is a difference between not watering down a return and taking advantage of an opportunity to rid yourself of a horrific contract. I think if the Braves were willing to take Chen back then the Marlins would have to listen.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Is there any possible way to make a Yelich/Realmuto trade without watering down the cost with bad contracts? I'm not sure that there is if we don't include Albies or Acuna. How much surplus value do those two have combined? Just doing a quick look at it, it has to be in the neighborhood of 180 million dollars. And I think that is a pretty conservative estimate. Its honestly probably closer to 200 million. A trade like that would absolutely gut our farm system. Lets look at what it would take to get to 180 million in surplus value, without including Albies or Acuna.

A 60 grade pitcher carries about 34 million in surplus value (according to Fangraph's chart). I'll be super generous and give a 60 to 3 Braves pitching prospects (note that I actually don't think all three are 60 grades).

So if we include Soroka, Gohara, and Wright that gets us to 102 million. I'll even give us an extra 15 million there since Gohara has already made the majors and is extremely impressive. So 117 million.

A 55 grade pitcher is about 22 million. So lets once again be super generous and throw two "55" grade pitching prospects in there: Allard and Wentz. Including those two gets us to 151 million.

Outside of Acuna and Albies, we don't have a hitter anywhere close to a 60 grade. But once again, lets go super pozzy and say that we have two 55 grade hitting prospects: Riley and Pache. They aren't, but assuming the Marlins hold them in high esteem or something one of them is worth about 38 million. So now we are finally there! That is 189 million in surplus value.

The problem is that its possible Yelich and Realmuto are worth a bit more than that, just going off the calculator I used they are worth about 194 million. But even if the value is slightly lower, we are going to have to pay a premium to acquire them. So we need a little extra. So I'll throw in someone like Brett Cumberland to get us there.

So now the trade looks like this:
    Marlins receive: Luiz Gohara, Mike Soroka, Kyle Wright, Kolby Allard, Joey Wentz, Christian Pache, and Brett Cumberland.
    Braves receive: Christian Yelich and JT Realmuto

There is no universe in existence where I even come close to accepting this deal. I do realize that this is a very rough outline of what it would take. I'm just showing how cost prohibitive a trade like this would be. I was even really generous with the value of our own prospects and the cost was still stunning. But in all likelihood the Marlins are terrible enough that this could get done for more in the range of 150 million in surplus value and/or ask for a major leaguer in return to water down some of the value. But even then it would be a major hit to our farm system. I didn't watch us be terrible for 3 years and put together a top 3 farm system for 3 years of Realmuto and 5 years of Yelich when we aren't even ready to compete yet.

The more I think about it, the more I'm in the camp of not wanting any part of either player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think there is a difference between not watering down a return and taking advantage of an opportunity to rid yourself of a horrific contract. I think if the Braves were willing to take Chen back then the Marlins would have to listen.
    I think the point of the articles is getting good returns in the form of young players/prospects will be a much higher priority than moving bad contracts. Of course, if they get a silly good offer that involves moving a contract, they'll do it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I'm not so sure I want to take Chen back in a Yellich trade even if it would mean keeping some prospects. One of the biggest things Yelich brings is his affordability. He's owed $7 million in 2018, $9.8 million in 2019, $12.5 million in 2020, $14 million in 2021, and has a $15 million team option for 2022. That's controlling him from age 26 through age 30 at a fairly reasonable price.

But now add Chen to that. Chen is owed $17.3 million in 2018, 2019, and 2020 (he has a $16 million vesting option based on him pitching 180 innings in 2020 which almost certainly wont happen). There's a good bet that if we take Chen in return, we get zero contribution from him.

If we get nothing from Chen, all of a sudden the true cost of Yelich is $24.3 million in 2018, $27.1 million in 2019, and $29.8 million in 2020. Even if Chen comes off the books after 2020 and Yelich's price for 2021 and 2022 drops back to just his contract, that's still a ton of money.

You get a good picture of the difference if you average out over the years of Yellich's contract.

Without Chen- Average of $11.66 million per year
    With Chen- Average of $22.04 million per year

Yelich is an excellent baseball player, but he's not a superstar. He's a guy who will hit .280 with an .800-.850 OPS and 20 HRs.

Then there's the fact that he would be moving from center in Atlanta. When Acuna gets here there's a good chance that Yelich is playing left. That waters down what he does even more.

So here's the question, if Yelich was a free agent and wanted a 5 year deal at $22.04 million per year, would you sign him to play left? I wouldn't. Add in the fact that we wouldn't just be allocating a huge portion of our payroll to getting Yelich, we'd also still have to give up a fair amount of talent in return and I have to say no thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    So if Yelich is just to expensive would the Cubs trade Happ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    So if Yelich is just to expensive would the Cubs trade Happ?
    More plausible certainly. I could see a trade next off-season involving one of our pitchers (say Folty or Newcomb) for Happ. Maybe not exactly 1 for 1, but with an extra piece from us to even it out.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    i'm confused why would the Marlins give the Braves a deal on him? Seems like if you are going to go for him you have to be willing to pay market value for him.
    because the players demand a trade. because the marlins are tanking and rebuilding.

I think you could potentially get a below market deal and then make up some of that difference with guys like Rio Ruiz or Wisler who can cheaply be run out every day.