Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    If there is no deal without acuna, who can the marlins realistically trade with considering acuna is one of the best prospects in baseball?

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Listened to our boy, Shanks.

His proposal (which included Realmuto and I guess Prado) basically was:

Braves get: Yelich, Realmuto, Prado, little bit of cash for Prado
    Marlins get: Folty or Newcomb or Gohara; Allard or Soroka or Wright; Dansby or Riley; Pache; Markakis, Suzuki, a little bit of cash to pay those two, and a couple prospects the next tier down from the top.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 01-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Really dumb on the Marlins part if the ask for Acuna is true. They aren't anywhere near competing now especially if they trade Yelich and Realmuto. They need guys who will become Acuna in 3-5 years. Even IF the Braves were to send Acuna to them, he would be up burning control time for probably 4/6 of his control years while they build the rest of the team and try to be competitive.

They need a quantity + long term quality trade. I'm not talking about what Pittsburgh got back for Cole. That was a quantity win now type trade because pretty much everybody they go back is knocking on the door. The Marlins need high end talent guys who are at A Ball or below. Sure, there is more risk, but you know if you get Acuna then you are going to waste a ton of his control.

An unseen issue with what has happened with the Marlins is that players will be extremely reluctant to sign extensions with them in the future depending on how Yelich is handled.

And the return should be a mix of pitching and hitting.

Marlins need something like: Ian Anderson, Pache, Drew Waters and Derian Cruz for Yelich and Prado

Sure that wouldn't look like fair FV value. All those guys are at A ball and wet behind the ears. BUT, it's the kind of trade they should do.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-19-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If there is no deal without acuna, who can the marlins realistically trade with considering acuna is one of the best prospects in baseball?
    I think the A's match up with the Marlins the best.

A package like Baretto, Fowler, Sean Murphy and pitching would make sense

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Now that we have seen more of ALbies at the major league level I think that has benefited his future surplus value? Or was that too small of a sample to have an impact?

Otherwise, I think a straight up deal for those two would not have been a bad deal had the Braves been in a position to actually compete.
    If the Braves were ready to compete, an Albies for Sale trade would have worked out quite well. There is a glut of good players available at 2B right now via both trade and FA, so the Braves could have signed someone like Walker and largely replaced Albies' production...and had Sale.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-18-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post

Marlins get: Folty or Newcomb or Gohara; Allard or Soroka or Wright; Dansby or Riley; Pache; Markakis, Suzuki, a little bit of cash to pay those two, and a couple prospects the next tier down from the top.
    Why in the hell would both teams send cash the other way?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-19-2018)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post

No, thank you. Next, please.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (01-18-2018), buck75 (01-18-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If the marlins loved dansby I’d move him and put Albies at short. Could probably get Castro in the Yelich package without much extra

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Seems odd that stories linking the Braves to Yelich keep coming out of no where...

I mean, the Braves have probably inquired, but why would Gammons all of a sudden mention the Braves and Yelich? If he heard something, then that means someone is talking.

No one cares about any news that doesn't make sense...he did not say, the Marlins will not trade Yelich to the HOU unless Tucker is included. Because no one in Houston would care. So maybe this is smoke prior to some quiet (by AA) announcement.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Marlins need something like: Ian Anderson, Pache, Drew Waters and Derian Cruz for Yelich and Prado.
    I agree on the timeline. If you plan a 4-5 year rebuild, why trade for MLB ready players. They don't need Folty, Newcomb, Gohara at all (MLB ready). Probably don't need Acuna, Albies, Swanson (MLB likely). May not want Allard, Soroka, Wright (MLB ready in 1-2 years).

That leaves the A+ & below class to start...Anderson, Wentz, Wilson, Pache, Herbert, Cruz, Waters types.

Not FV balanced, but would you do a Anderson, Wentz, Davidon, Waters for Yelich?

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Was weird to me, too.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    I agree on the timeline. If you plan a 4-5 year rebuild, why trade for MLB ready players. They don't need Folty, Newcomb, Gohara at all (MLB ready). Probably don't need Acuna, Albies, Swanson (MLB likely). May not want Allard, Soroka, Wright (MLB ready in 1-2 years).

That leaves the A+ & below class to start...Anderson, Wentz, Wilson, Pache, Herbert, Cruz, Waters types.

Not FV balanced, but would you do a Anderson, Wentz, Davidon, Waters for Yelich?
    I would do it. I doubt the Marlins would. The issue is that all could bust and they have nothing or all could bust out and they have everything. Low A ball guys of today will make up the top 50 MLB prospects of tomorrow, unless a guy jumps up there based on his draft position and pre-draft scouting. The trick would be getting enough talent back that at least some of it (more than one player) turns out to be a high value property in 2-3 years. For a rebuilding team, all their trades should be constructed that way.

Why stand one good player in the OF when the rest of the team totally sucks? You are just wasting control time for the player. Seeing a team that isn't good but doesn't suck as bad as they possibly could suck provides marginal enjoyment anyway. If you are going to build, then commit to building. MLB has arranged the rules in a way that rebuilding teams should want to be as bad as possible. Look at the Astros, dead last for several years, losing 100 games 3 years in a row IIRC. Look at them now: WS Champion; one of the best teams in baseball; young and controllable at a reasonable price and poised to be good for a while; still stocked with young prospects in their minor leagues; led by a FO that works all the angles and strong arms weaker franchises with weaker FO.

It took several years of pain but find an Astros fan now who doesn't think it was worth it.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 01-18-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    So Shanks would trade Gohara, Wright, Dansby, Pache, and a couple of other prospects a few tiers down for Yelich and Realmuto? He has lost his damn mind. If AA did that then he should be fired immediately and join Coppy on the ban list.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-19-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Marlins can do what they want.

Maybe the deadline will drum up interest.

But if they wait a year or more then yelich surplus value will go down as his control years decline. I’d rather trade for him next offseason when we know more about our prospects, are really clear to win and yelich should be cheaper.

I still think the nats win and they use Robles
    I understand Harper is only around for 1 more year in all likelihood, and Yelich would be a great replacement, but where exactly does Yelich play in 2018? They have Harper, Taylor, and Eaton already. Even with their window closing, I just can't see why the Nationals trade their best prospect for a marginal upgrade. I'm sure they'll be all over Realmuto though.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Lol in my head I picture AA running some sort of short change scam on Jeter or something

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    So Shanks would trade Gohara, Wright, Dansby, Pache, and a couple of other prospects a few tiers down for Yelich and Realmuto? He has lost his damn mind. If AA did that then he should be fired immediately and join Coppy on the ban list.
    Seems close to ok to me. I’d probably do gohara or Wright and the rest of it.

If you can convince the marlins Swanson is good, Good on y’all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Seems close to ok to me. I’d probably do gohara or Wright and the rest of it.

If you can convince the marlins Swanson is good, Good on y’all.
    With all the pitching we’ve stockpiled we can’t trade our 2 best pitchers (Gohara & Wright) in the same deal. I love Yelich but no way i do that.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-18-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    With all the pitching we’ve stockpiled we can’t trade our 2 best pitchers (Gohara & Wright) in the same deal. I love Yelich but no way i do that.
    Yeah, that's why I said "or." Otherwise it looks ok, if premature maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    A couple of points of interest on Yelich. He is a candidate to blow up and be a superstar IF he changes his launch angle. His angle sits right around zero and the result has been one of the league leaders in his early career in ground ball percentage. His 55-60% GB% is keeping his HRs down. Compare that to what Cody Bellinger did last season with 35% GB s and 39 bombs or Trout who sat at 36% GBs and you get a beast.

Make that tweak and he is worth whatever the Braves have to give up.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    As others have said, it's just too early for a blockbuster (unless AA can get one completely on HIS terms) IMO. If Acuna is Yelich with better speed and defense and Gohara, Wright, Soroka, and Allard come even close to living up to their billing you're liable to regret trading a single one of them - and that's even if Allard's velocity doesn't rebound.

Offer Milwaukee their choice of Teheran or Folty for Domingo Santana rather than pay the price for Yelich. Offer the Yankees Newcomb for Andujar if they plan on signing Machado - he could step in and replace Sabathia in 2019.

Sure some things will have to go right, but there's already a non-zero chance that Gohara, Wright, Soroka, and Allard may all deserve 2019 rotation spots as it stands now - use the other pieces to fill the holes. If you could make those types of trades, you'd still have 2 of Julio/Folty/Fried to go with that foursome, and plenty of money to add a veteran to the mix if need be.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?