Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Unfortunately for you, the rest of baseball cares about their "grades or values".

If you're one of those guys who thinks Brinson is the equivalent of Dustin Peterson...well...you're in the minority. I'll be keeping tabs on it.
    Like I said, I don't think I follow this response entirely.

I know the FV and surplus value adds up to a fairly even swap. I get that. I get that MLB FO's likely care about that. Everyone has guys in the minors they get behind or like more than others... I just don't really love any of the guys they got back for one of the most valuable players in the game.

I don't know what Dustin Peterson has to do with this trade, so I'm even more lost.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

I know the FV and surplus value adds up to a fairly even swap. I get that. I get that MLB FO's likely care about that. Everyone has guys in the minors they get behind or like more than others... I just don't really love any of the guys they got back for one of the most valuable players in the game.

I don't know what Dustin Peterson has to do with this trade, so I'm even more lost.
    I was just poking fun at whoever called Brinson a AAAA guy.

It’s perfectly reasonable to have doubts about Brinson becoming a 3-4 win player. He is a fairly polarizing prospect.

The Marlins and Pirates are good examples of different philosophies. The Marlins are going for the high ceiling guys, while the Pirates seem to value the high floor guys.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He's done it before with the Braves though. Even if he comes back down a bit, you're still likely looking at a 4-5 win player. At worst a 3-4 win player. I'd easily trade Newk and Swanson for that with the hope that Simba continues to hit like he did last year and be one of the top 10 players in baseball.
    he never had a full season with the braves where he was as good a hitter as last year. but he's been in the 3-WAR range for the 3 years prior to last season (1.9 one year). he also wasn't top-10 last year in baseball in fWAR.

again i'm just saying that replacing swanson and newcomb with simmons isn't an automatic win for next year.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    he never had a full season with the braves where he was as good a hitter as last year. but he's been in the 3-WAR range for the 3 years prior to last season (1.9 one year). he also wasn't top-10 last year in baseball in fWAR.

again i'm just saying that replacing swanson and newcomb with simmons isn't an automatic win for next year.
    There is a big discrepancy in his defense between UZR and DRS. UZR (what fangraphs uses) seems to think Simmons is really good. DRS (baseball-ref) thinks Simmons is god-like. I like to think of Simba as god-like in the field.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-26-2018), Carp (01-26-2018), jpx7 (01-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I made the post about trading JT for Braun. Sorry I didn't point out that i was being
    Sarcastic.
    I actually wasn't talking about yours but had in mind one from the other day. His was serious or so it seemed to be anyway. I figured yours was taking a shot at that post.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Somehow my guess is you're not the one who's lost.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    nsacpi literally brings up Nunez every day haha.

He kinda fits at 3B, but can the Braves afford him? He isn't a very good defender, which is the opposite of what AA said he's looking for.
    He wasn't a minus on defense at third at least, so that combined with at least an ability to be moved around may fit what AA is looking for. It would mean if Swanson struggles again that Camargo could play again in his place with Nunez at third. Plus it would help with depth in case of injury too.

I think the big question is can the Braves afford him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    This exactly...to me the Marlins needed to win this trade and they didn't. They probably got fair value which is disappointing because Yelich is a pretty known quantity while the guys they got are not.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    This exactly...to me the Marlins needed to win this trade and they didn't. They probably got fair value which is disappointing because Yelich is a pretty known quantity while the guys they got are not.
    Why do they need to win the trade? And it's not about them probably getting fair value, they did. Most GM's are on the same page about what it takes to get known MLB players. If you aren't on that page you get fired like Dave Stewart. At that point it's about picking the players you think will help you the most. You are really only going to see teams getting fleeced at the deadline now when some might be desperate to win.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why do they need to win the trade? And it's not about them probably getting fair value, they did. Most GM's are on the same page about what it takes to get known MLB players. If you aren't on that page you get fired like Dave Stewart. At that point it's about picking the players you think will help you the most. You are really only going to see teams getting fleeced at the deadline now when some might be desperate to win.
    IMO you don't trade a guy like Yellich unless you win the trade. You don't have to dominate the trade but you have all of the leverage and should win.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    IMO you don't trade a guy like Yellich unless you win the trade. You don't have to dominate the trade but you have all of the leverage and should win.
    I agree. If 20 to 25 teams are involved. Then you put them against each other and get more. I agree. You won’t get a huge over pay. But you should get an over pay if the demand is that high.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Marlins got well over $100M+ in surplus value (thewupk suggests its about $120M), including an OF prospect in the Top 20 overall.

I'm not sure how anyone could expect the Marlins to have done much better. None of the other guys on the Top 20 list were going anywhere. There are no more Dave Stewarts to fleece in these trades...they've all been fired.

The decision to gut the team is certainly suspect, but the Marlins are doing OK with their returns in these trades.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Why? The team is nowhere near contention and each year that goes by that contract loses value.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

BeanieAntics (01-26-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This type of reasoning is precisely how the Braves ended up with a declining Teheran holding very little trade value.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BeanieAntics (01-26-2018), jpx7 (01-26-2018), thewupk (01-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Disappointed we didn't get him, but my personal interest in him was always dependent on us taking on some bad contracts and not having to deal away our most elite prospects.
    thank you weso1!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    This type of reasoning is precisely how the Braves ended up with a declining Teheran holding very little trade value.
    Said it early. Said it often.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Why? The team is nowhere near contention and each year that goes by that contract loses value.
    Bc it’s not that simple

Four quarters do not equal a dollar here

You could have someone pay a premium at the deadline

At some point you do have to make a decision

There is a difference in what I said and requiring benentendi from the sox

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    There is a big discrepancy in his defense between UZR and DRS. UZR (what fangraphs uses) seems to think Simmons is really good. DRS (baseball-ref) thinks Simmons is god-like. I like to think of Simba as god-like in the field.
    wanting to think of him as god-like doesn't mean he was or is, tho.

waiting for enscheff to tell you that everyone knows fWAR is better than bWAR...
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Bc it’s not that simple

Four quarters do not equal a dollar here

You could have someone pay a premium at the deadline

At some point you do have to make a decision

There is a difference in what I said and requiring benentendi from the sox
    There is also an argument that Yelich's value will never be higher than it is right now. As enscheff said you don't want him to become a Julio situation although I personally don't think it would ever get to that point.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    wanting to think of him as god-like doesn't mean he was or is, tho.

waiting for enscheff to tell you that everyone knows fWAR is better than bWAR...
    True. I do think what Simba has played the position better than anyone ever has though.

I prefer bWAR for hitters as I think DRS is a better metric than UZR. Generally there isn't much of a difference though. I prefer fWAR for pitchers.

People have latched on to fWAR because 1) it was first and 2) the site is much easier to navigate.