Well....see ya Julio...been good
    What are you talking about?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Funny, Wisler probably gets DFA'd to make room if we make such a trade and need a spot. Blair still has value though as he could be a good reliever if he fails at starting. Blair went from very impressive with Arizona in tough pitching leagues to stinky fast with us. This doesn't speak well to our pitching coaches IMO. I am not as surprised about Wisler though. I knew he had a good chance to bust all along.
    Blair has been injured a good bit here, but it's time to **** or get off the pot for him.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I'm not saying the trade wasn't fair, but I don't believe it was a win for the Marlins and the Marlins needed a win...not fair.

And Brinson is not better than all Braves prospects not named Acuna...maybe better than any other hitting prospect, but I would venture to bet he doesn't amount to much in MLB...he'll also be 24. I'm willing to say he's going to be one of those AAAA players. Too good for AAA, but never good enough to be a good regular in MLB. His minor numbers appear to be decent because he played in mostly hitting friendly leagues, and his really good numbers in the minors were likely inflated due to a high BABIP.
    That could be the case with Brinson. Better prospects have failed. I don't see any of our current pitching prospects at a 60 FV level. Maybe Gohara. Still it was obvious the Fish were wanting hitting talent in return that was hopefully MLB ready. Brinson is one of the best OF prospects in baseball and clearly MLB ready. It was a good fit for them. And I'm not sure that they necessarily needed a win either. They just didn't need to get robbed. And I don't think they have on either Yelich or Ozuna. What happened with Miller and Ender/Swanson just doesn't happen that often. That trade got Dave Stewart fired. Most prospect for established player trades these days are pretty even in value and that's what you should expect to get.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Blair has been injured a good bit here, but it's time to **** or get off the pot for him.
    Sure, but with the others coming he might not get another shot. However, he could still be useful as a reliever. Wisler on the other hand is a total bust and has been terrible even out of the bullpen.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    What are you talking about?
    I would be fine with Julio to the Brewers

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think the brewers going all in on outfield is pozzi for us. We should be able to have options for of help.

Santana is what coppy thought kemp was just at 21 million less a year
    That's a pretty astute comparison. Kemp, with Santan's 2017 numbers, would of been a good deal. Sadly I don't think anybody but Coppy thought he was that good anymore. Glad that clown is gone.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-25-2018), jpx7 (01-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That's a pretty astute comparison. Kemp, with Santan's 2017 numbers, would of been a good deal. Sadly I don't think anybody but Coppy thought he was that good anymore. Glad that clown is gone.
    Maybe him and those posting about trading Teheran for Braun. He was living in the past on Kemp just as they're living in the past on Braun. :)

That said, I am glad Coppy is banned from MLB simply for the Simmons trade alone. But when you add to that giving Wood away, etc. Just wow how terrible can you get? Anyone questioning AA in comparison already is out of their mind.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-25-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Maybe him and those posting about trading Teheran for Braun. He was living in the past on Kemp just as they're living in the past on Braun. :)

That said, I am glad Coppy is banned from MLB simply for the Simmons trade alone. But when you add to that giving Wood away, etc. Just wow how terrible can you get? Anyone questioning AA in comparison already is out of their mind.
    Right. Imagine plugging in a 4+ WAR SS in place of Swanson right now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-25-2018), jpx7 (01-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Yea, just on defense it's 32 DRS vs -7 DRS last year. Second to Simmons in DRS among shortstops only had 11 DRS, so that is a 21 DRS difference from first to second in MLB!

Simmon's would make our pitching look much better, esp. combined with Inciarte in CF.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    That could be the case with Brinson. Better prospects have failed. I don't see any of our current pitching prospects at a 60 FV level. Maybe Gohara. Still it was obvious the Fish were wanting hitting talent in return that was hopefully MLB ready. Brinson is one of the best OF prospects in baseball and clearly MLB ready. It was a good fit for them. And I'm not sure that they necessarily needed a win either. They just didn't need to get robbed. And I don't think they have on either Yelich or Ozuna. What happened with Miller and Ender/Swanson just doesn't happen that often. That trade got Dave Stewart fired. Most prospect for established player trades these days are pretty even in value and that's what you should expect to get.
    That’s the incoherent part of their ask to me. Why MLB-ready when they shouldn’t have a prayer of contention for several years?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-25-2018)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

I made the post about trading JT for Braun. Sorry I didn't point out that i was being
    Sarcastic.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    No thanks on Braun

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    That’s the incoherent part of their ask to me. Why MLB-ready when they shouldn’t have a prayer of contention for several years?
    Who knows. Maybe they weren't necessarily asking for MLB ready but just a high quality OF prospect? With Acuna and Guerrero off the table for obvious reasons that takes you into the next tier of OF prospects in Jiminez, Robles, Brinson, and Hays. Of that group only Robles and Brinson were really available.

I think they did well here. Got an immediate replacement and a few low level guys with upside. If Brinson produces they can swap him out for even more when their window would open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I’m not blown away by the package for one of the most valuable players in the game.
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I’m not blown away by the package for one of the most valuable players in the game.
    How did the fv calc work on this?

Seems light to me. Brinson has a ton of risk for a 24 yo with mlb exp.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    How did the fv calc work on this?

Seems light to me. Brinson has a ton of risk for a 24 yo with mlb exp.
    Came out pretty even. Fish got ~120 million in surplus value in prospects. They received a 60 FV, 55 FV, and 50 FV hitter with a 40 FV pitcher. That's a pretty big haul.

Some may want to criticize their deals but they have gotten fair value for Gordon, Yelich, and Ozuna.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think the Fish got what they wanted. They have a number of young arms that should hit by next year and some they could audition this year. Brinson Harrison and Sierra could be a good OF for the next 5 years if Brinson can cut down on the K’s and Harrison stays healthy.
    They now have a 2B to throw in to the mix next year along with Anderson at 3B to start their new infield.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Starling Castro could probably be had for a salary dump. If Dansby, Albies or Castro could play 3B then you might have something there....I'm not sure any of them hit enough.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I am a big fan of both Swanson and Newk and think both will good players. That being said, I'd trade them both to have Simmons back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Starling Castro could probably be had for a salary dump. If Dansby, Albies or Castro could play 3B then you might have something there....I'm not sure any of them hit enough.
    had a post typed up on castro a few weeks ago, but decided he didn't fit with the defense-first thing. maybe at 3B he'd be fine, and would probably come very cheap.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg