Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    waiting for enscheff to tell you that everyone knows fWAR is better than bWAR...
    Sure you've heard it all before.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    wanting to think of him as god-like doesn't mean he was or is, tho.

waiting for enscheff to tell you that everyone knows fWAR is better than bWAR...
    I prefer fWAR for pitchers and hitters because UZR tends to not have those huge outlier defender-seasons like DRS does. Anytime a metric spits out a result stating that a player was an extreme outlier, either good or bad, we should be a bit skeptical.

I think it has to do with this quote, “Defensive Runs Saved uses a rolling one-year basis for the Plus/Minus system, while UZR uses several years of data to determine each play’s difficulty level.”

I haven’t dug into it much, but it seems to me using more data as your baseline would produce more stable results. It may very well be that one is better at grading infielders while the other is better at grading outfielders. It’s definitely something that would be interesting to investigate. At the end of the day, I think Statcast data from baseball savant will replace both, and we won’t have to worry about this debate anymore.

FG is just such a superior site overall for finding stats, leaderboards, splits and projections that I would probably reference fWAR even if I didn’t think UZR was superior.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I prefer fWAR for pitchers and hitters because UZR tends to not have those huge outlier defender-seasons like DRS does. Anytime a metric spits out a result stating that a player was an extreme outlier, either good or bad, we should be a bit skeptical.

I think it has to do with this quote, “Defensive Runs Saved uses a rolling one-year basis for the Plus/Minus system, while UZR uses several years of data to determine each play’s difficulty level.”

I haven’t dug into it much, but it seems to me using more data as your baseline would produce more stable results. It may very well be that one is better at grading infielders while the other is better at grading outfielders. It’s definitely something that would be interesting to investigate. At the end of the day, I think Statcast data from baseball savant will replace both, and we won’t have to worry about this debate anymore.

FG is just such a superior site overall for finding stats, leaderboards, splits and projections that I would probably reference fWAR even if I didn’t think UZR was superior.
    I agree with this, but I am curious how they plan to implement that data. Will they try to rewrite the WAR formula to build that data into it or will they come up with a completely different catch all stat that becomes superior to WAR?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I agree with this, but I am curious how they plan to implement that data. Will they try to rewrite the WAR formula to build that data into it or will they come up with a completely different catch all stat that becomes superior to WAR?
    I think they will just incorporate statcast data into the current WAR model. Once they figure out how to get runs saved and lost out of the data it will essentially be plug and play.