Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaldson in 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And continue to waste the prime seasons of Freeman and Inciarte. Teams do not trade MLB position players for MLB pitchers.

The Braves will have to fill C, LF and 3B next offseason. I imagine 2 will be filled via FA, and 1 filled via trade.

C will likely be one of Flowers or Grandal, and following how they upgrade LF and 3B should finally make for a fun offseason for Braves fans.
    Pitchers do get traded for hitters. Recent examples include Greinke (twice), Smyly, Taijuan Walker, Shields.

I think we have to balance "wasting" Freeman's and Inciarte's prime versus loading down the primes of Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Wright and Gohara with millstone contracts.

But I think we can put a solid 85-90 win team on the field in 2019 without taking a huge risk on someone like Donaldson.

Catcher extent Flowers 2 Wins
    1st Freeman 5 wins
    2nd Albies 3 wins
    SS Swanson 2
    3rd Trade Teheran for Todd Frazier 2 wins
    RF Acuna 3 wins
    CF Inciarte 3 wins
    LF Trade Folty or Newcomb (whoever has the better 2018 season) plus Wentz or Wilson for Happ 3 wins

Rotation
    Newcomb or Folty 2 wins
    Gohara 3 wins
    Soroka 3 wins
    Wright 2 wins
    Veteran pitcher 3 wins (can be signed or we can trade away Allard/Camargo/Fried/Sims).

Total from above 36 wins. Add 48 for replacement plus 4 from pen/bench. Et voila we have an 88 win team without compromising our financial flexibility in the years when Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Wright and Gohara will be in their primes. We hold on to our prime talent. And we have the ability to extent the ones we choose.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we were gonna trade for Frazier we could just sign him this offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Pitchers do get traded for hitters. Recent examples include Greinke (twice), Smyly, Taijuan Walker, Shields.

I think we have to balance "wasting" Freeman's and Inciarte's prime versus loading down the primes of Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Wright and Gohara with millstone contracts.

But I think we can put a solid 85-90 win team on the field in 2019 without taking a huge risk on someone like Donaldson.

1st Freeman 5 wins
    2nd Albies 3 wins
    SS Swanson 2
    RF Acuna 3 wins
    CF Inciarte 3 wins
    LF Trade Folty or Newcomb (whoever has the better 2018 season) plus Wentz or Wilson for Happ 3 wins

Rotation
    Newcomb or Folty 2 wins
    Gohara 3 wins
    Soroka 3 wins
    Wright 2 wins
    Veteran pitcher 3 wins (can be signed or we can trade away Allard/Camargo/Fried/Sims).

Total from above 36 wins. Add 48 for replacement plus 4 from pen/bench. Et voila we have an 88 win team without compromising our financial flexibility in the years when Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Wright and Gohara will be in their primes. We hold on to our prime talent. And we have the ability to extent the ones we choose.
    I think I’d like to see the Braves set their sights a little higher for LF and 3B than whatever MLB ready player they could get for Teheran.

And if Folty becomes a 3 win guy they won’t be looking to trade him for at least 1 more season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If we were gonna trade for Frazier we could just sign him this offseason.
    It would make sense if we had the budget and the price was reasonable.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think I’d like to see the Braves set their sights a little higher for LF and 3B than whatever MLB ready player they could get for Teheran.

And if Folty becomes a 3 win guy they won’t be looking to trade him for at least 1 more season.
    My view is we trade high on 2 of whichever of Folty, Teheran and Newcomb post the best 2018 seasons. I don't view any of them as core players and we have guys like Soroka and Wright who should be ready in 2019 and could well be part of the core.

"I am your retribution."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    My view is we trade high on 2 of whichever of Folty, Teheran and Newcomb post the best 2018 seasons. I don't view any of them as core players and we have guys like Soroka and Wright who should be ready in 2019 and could well be part of the core.
    But what are we really going to get in return for any of those 3 pitchers? We’re basically trading our rejects and hoping for a major return.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Here's my concern, Donaldson will be 33 when that happens. Not many players go on and post amazing seasons from 33-36/37.

But there is a 3B in the market worth sniffing in Chase Headley, He'll be a year older but likely could be had for like a 2/20 contract or something.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Here's my concern, Donaldson will be 33 when that happens. Not many players go on and post amazing seasons from 33-36/37.

But there is a 3B in the market worth sniffing in Chase Headley, He'll be a year older but likely could be had for like a 2/20 contract or something.
    I would aim higher. Eugenio Suarez or Javier Baez could be a target. A couple guys on the FA market this year (Moose and Todd Frazier) might be decent trade acquisitions a year from now.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    But what are we really going to get in return for any of those 3 pitchers? We’re basically trading our rejects and hoping for a major return.
    If Folty or Newcomb is coming off a 3 WAR season, they will not be considered one of our "rejects." There will be a good market for them.

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-13-2018), Tapate50 (01-14-2018), thethe (01-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I don’t see the necessity of taking on a contract that will definitely be bad in three years and might well be bad sooner just to fill out a 85-90 win team. Particularly not when your core is very young and there will certainly be other cheaper options available.

If you were signing a 28 year old to that deal then it would be worth it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    If Folty or Newcomb is coming off a 3 WAR season, they will not be considered one of our "rejects." There will be a good market for them.
    If the Braves have 3 years of arb control over a pitcher that just posted 3+ wins they would be insane to trade him. That simply doesn’t happen with contenders.

If Newk posts 3 wins and they trade him and his 5 years of control...well...that would defeat the whole point of trying to grow SPs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don’t see the necessity of taking on a contract that will definitely be bad in three years and might well be bad sooner just to fill out a 85-90 win team. Particularly not when your core is very young and there will certainly be other cheaper options available.

If you were signing a 28 year old to that deal then it would be worth it.
    Folks don’t seem to understand that a 28 year old Donaldson is Machado, who the Braves will have no chance to sign.

The Braves have a chance to sign a 5+ win player for one reason...because he is old. It either makes sense as a win now move, or it doesn’t, but saying “if he was 28 it would be different” is pure silliness.

If he were 28 he wouldn’t be an option.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Folks don’t seem to understand that a 28 year old Donaldson is Machado, who the Braves will have no chance to sign.

The Braves have a chance to sign a 5+ win player for one reason...because he is old. It either makes sense as a win now move, or it doesn’t, but saying “if he was 28 it would be different” is pure silliness.

If he were 28 he wouldn’t be an option.
    Then don't do it. Throwing away 28 million dollars of payroll. For three years while your young core hits its prime isn't worth being a fringe playoff team while they are improving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Especially Newk considering he would have 4 years of control left. He would not only not be considered a 'reject'. He would be one of the the top assets on the market.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Then don't do it. Throwing away 28 million dollars of payroll. For three years while your young core hits its prime isn't worth being a fringe playoff team while they are improving.
    I'd rather spend 40M on Harper than 28 on Donaldson.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

1st Freeman 5 wins
    2nd Albies 3 wins
    SS Swanson 2
    RF Acuna 3 wins
    CF Inciarte 3 wins

Rotation
    Newcomb or Folty 2 wins
    Gohara 3 wins
    Soroka 3 wins
    Wright 2 wins

Personally i think you are being too bearish on Albies/Acuna/Gohara/Newk. Concerned how much defensive value Inciarte will have in 2019. I would be open to a trade whereby you acquire assets for Inciarte and include them in a package for Yelich. Acquire a 1 year bridge in 2019 for either CF/LF until Pache is ready to take over in CF.
    Last edited by thethe; 01-14-2018 at 07:30 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Especially Newk considering he would have 4 years of control left. He would not only not be considered a 'reject'. He would be one of the the top assets on the market.
    4 years? You mean 6?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    4 years? You mean 6?
    This would be after 2018. Thought he reached the threshold for a pitcher this year for 1 year but that clearly didn't happen.

He would have 5 years left after 2018 and would be one of the highest valued assets on the market if he came off of a 3 Win season.
    Last edited by thethe; 01-14-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Yes sorry, 5 years is what I meant. Typo

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Personally i think you are being too bearish on Albies/Acuna/Gohara/Newk. Concerned how much defensive value Inciarte will have in 2019. I would be open to a trade whereby you acquire assets for Inciarte and include them in a package for Yelich. Acquire a 1 year bridge in 2019 for either CF/LF until Pache is ready to take over in CF.
    when you do this sort of exercise it becomes clear this is going to be a contending team in 2019 whether you go the Donaldsonian route or the one I suggested...the big issue to me is constructing the 2019 team in a way that preserves financial flexibility and enhances your chances for a long window of contention

"I am your retribution."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-15-2018)