Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane Adams

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Lane Adams

Don’t laugh at me, but I really feel like something has clicked with Lane. I’m not saying I think he will be an All Star...don’t get me wrong. I DO feel like he could be a slightly above average everyday player with his speed. I feel an outfield of Adams, Ender and Acuna would be better defensively than with Yelich. Lane doesn’t have the pop in his bat Yelich does, but I bet he would bat a decent average with 15-20 hr power. That ain’t bad...better than Nick, and when you look at the prospects that could be saved(for another trade)...makes him a decent option. It’s not like 2018 is the year...so why not give him a year to prove himself. We can sign whoever next year if he flops.

So, my idea....start Lane for first few weeks to save Acuna’s clock and when he is ready...trade Nick and let Lane play out the year? Good defense, speed, decent average with some pop. Why not give the kid a chance and take the money saved from trading Nick and Julio and sign Frazier??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Lane should get 400 AB's next year. Again, 2018 should be about figuring out what our true needs are before 2019 when our real contention window opens up. That means the following:

1) Can Lane Adams be a 4th OF?
    2) Is Camargo more than a util guy?
    3) Is Newcomb closer to a #1 starter or a #5 starter?
    4) Do we have to move Folty to the pen?
    5) Is Swanson the future SS of the team?
    6) Do we have a future ace out of Allard/Soroka/Wright?
    7) Does Christian Pache make it possible to consider trading Ender?
    8) Are Ablies/Acuna just really good or are they superstars?
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-10-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    I may be in the minority but he's just as much of a 4th OF or platoon partner with Preston Tucker. I like Lanes speed but not much else. He did a few things but not enough to make me wanna give him that many at bats. If he is playing that much Markakis is not in Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I may be in the minority but he's just as much of a 4th OF or platoon partner with Preston Tucker. I like Lanes speed but not much else. He did a few things but not enough to make me wanna give him that many at bats. If he is playing that much Markakis is not in Atlanta.
    You’re not in the minority. You have it pegged accurately.

According the FG and Statcast he is an average or worse OFer.

He’s 28 years old.

He posted an .800 OPS on the back of an unsustainable .368 BABIP.

Of all Braves with 100+ PAs in 2017, he was the 4th luckiest according to xwOBA.

When all that regresses he will be lucky to post a .700 OPS.

Lane Adams is barely good enough to be a 4th OFer on a bad team. He deserves 200+ PAs to see if he can be a cheap serviceable 4th OFer, and considering Inciarte, Tucker and Markakis all bat LHed he will likely have plenty of chances to accumulate those PAs.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-09-2018 at 12:32 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-09-2018), JohnAdcox (01-10-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

He’s 28 years old.

Of all Braves with 100+ PAs in 2017, he was the luckiest according to xwOBA.

Lane Adams is barely good enough to be a 4th OFer on a bad team. He will be replaced with Acuna as soon as the Braves decide to call him up.
    Yeah the whole hope would be Nick not being in Atl. I know it’s a homer hunch...why I said not to laugh lol. I just feel he has figured out some things. I have a great shot at being wrong, but it’s not like it would cost us a WS in 2018.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    A poor man's Matt Diaz. If you ever see Adams get 400 ABs in a season, you're gonna regret it.

I really liked Diaz. Great hustle and personality.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-10-2018), Tapate50 (01-09-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Adams is a good AAAA player you can call up any time and plug him in. The problem now is he's out of options and thus he loses a lot of his value. I think it's just as likely the Michael Reed kid we picked up will be this year's Lane Adams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    dime a dozen
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm with Enscheff on this one. The top quarter of guys in AAA could likely come up the majors and have a small sample surge similar to what Adams' did in 2017, but rarely do guys elevate their game to a new strata at age 27 or 28. It could happen, but it's rare. The thing that is most disappointing about Adams is that for all his speed, it doesn't translate to his defense. The downside for both Adams and Tucker as potential 4th OFs is they can't really back up in CF (which won't be a problem when Acuna hits town). I don't know who is still out there, but I'm guessing the Braves will be looking for a couple more 4th OF candidates prior to spring training.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

He’s 28 years old.

Of all Braves with 100+ PAs in 2017, he was the 4th luckiest according to xwOBA.

Lane Adams is barely good enough to be a 4th OFer on a bad team. He deserves 200+ PAs to see if he can be a cheap serviceable 4th OFer, and considering Inciarte, Tucker and Markakis all bat LHed he will likely have plenty of chances to accumulate those PAs.
    Spot on analysis. Two weeks of Adams/Tucker will be...enough. (Starting that is).

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm with Enscheff on this one. The top quarter of guys in AAA could likely come up the majors and have a small sample surge similar to what Adams' did in 2017, but rarely do guys elevate their game to a new strata at age 27 or 28. It could happen, but it's rare. The thing that is most disappointing about Adams is that for all his speed, it doesn't translate to his defense. The downside for both Adams and Tucker as potential 4th OFs is they can't really back up in CF (which won't be a problem when Acuna hits town). I don't know who is still out there, but I'm guessing the Braves will be looking for a couple more 4th OF candidates prior to spring training.
    The good thing about having Acuna is we don't have to have a 4th OF who plays CF. I'd have Culberson taking some balls in CF to be the emergency CF'er until Acuna comes up and structure the roster in a way the 4th OF is a bat off the bench as much as a glove in CF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Santana can play center.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Santana can play CF (but not well). I forgot about Culberson. The guy who plays CF best between these two is probably a lock to go north. But the CF back-up problem will be alleviated when Acuna is promoted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Lane Adams had a remarkable season when you consider that he never really got any starts to stay sharp for much of his time up in Atlanta. He still came close to an .800 OPS pinch hitting (45 AB's). He also provided very good speed off the bench and when he started more late in the season he put up an OPS over .800 and finished at .807 for the year. Further, I wouldn't rule out him being a decent starter given his power potential, playing in Atlanta, and the speed he provides too. Whatever the case, I'd expect him to be a useful 4th outfielder at the very least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Santana can play center.
    Santana has had a -9 DRS in CF in a small sample (including -2 DRS last year with Atlanta in only 18 innings) the last two years with poor range numbers the more he played there. Adams had a 1.2 arm rating and only -1 DRS last year in CF in 62.2 innings and only a -2 DRS overall playing RF (0 DRS in 24.1 innings), CF (-1 DRS in 62.2 innings) and LF (-1 DRS in 85 innings). It really came down to the two errors he made effecting his small sample in the OF last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Santana can play CF (but not well). I forgot about Culberson. The guy who plays CF best between these two is probably a lock to go north. But the CF back-up problem will be alleviated when Acuna is promoted.
    I expect Culberson to be on the team unless he has a terrible spring, esp. due to him being out of options and Santana being on a minor league deal. That way they have Santana as a back-up down in AAA if needed.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Lane Adams had a remarkable season when you consider that he never really got any starts to stay sharp for much of his time up in Atlanta. He still came close to an .800 OPS pinch hitting (45 AB's). He also provided very good speed off the bench and when he started more late in the season he put up an OPS over .800 and finished at .807 for the year. Further, I wouldn't rule out him being a decent starter given his power potential, playing in Atlanta, and the speed he provides too. Whatever the case, I'd expect him to be a useful 4th outfielder at the very least.
    But that's the key. OFF the bench he is serviceable. I'm not wanting to see him start for any more than the first couple of weeks of the year. I like him enough off the bench along with Tucker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    But that's the key. OFF the bench he is serviceable. I'm not wanting to see him start for any more than the first couple of weeks of the year. I like him enough off the bench along with Tucker.
    He put up an over .800 in his starts, that is worthy of starting but it was too small a sample to expect that over a full season. However, when you factor in how many bases he could steal he could be a good platoon option in the OF even if he put up something like an .750 OPS in those starts. He did better than that in a small sample last year so I cannot rule that out. But either way I still like his power and speed combination in a bench back-up role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    He put up an over .800 in his starts, that is worthy of starting but it was too small a sample to expect that over a full season. However, when you factor in how many bases he could steal he could be a good platoon option in the OF even if he put up something like an .750 OPS in those starts. He did better than that in a small sample last year so I cannot rule that out. But either way I still like his power and speed combination in a bench back-up role.
    And 2018 is the perfect year to find out if he is a 4th outfielder. Just like 2018 is the perfect year to give Camargo 500 PA's. It makes too much sense not too.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And 2018 is the perfect year to find out if he is a 4th outfielder. Just like 2018 is the perfect year to give Camargo 500 PA's. It makes too much sense not too.
    What I’m saying. This is THE year to give guys a chance. If they thrive...great...if they don’t...bye. I feel we could be contending in 2019, so 2018 is the last year we have that.

Am I right about my hunch on Adams?...probably not. Is Camargo a every day play?...let’s find out, so we have those questions answered in 2019.