User Tag List

Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687
Results 1,721 to 1,732 of 1732

Thread: GDT: Braves @ Dodgers (NLDS Game 4, October 7, 2013)

  1. #1721
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    21,903
    Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,900 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well that sucked.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

    Dalyn (10-08-2013)

  3. #1722
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 337 Times in 187 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people have said Justin Upton is a superstar? Isn't calling him overrated a bit of an overreaction? I haven't seen too many people on here rating him as one of the best hitters in baseball. We hoped he would become that but as of yet he hasn't. Still could however. If he's overrated then all of our hitters are overrated, maybe except Freeman.

  4. #1723
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,697
    Thanks
    3,144
    Thanked 4,784 Times in 2,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcway View Post
    Watching that game last night, the Dodgers hitters reminded me of the late 90's Yankees. You just knew when they were down late in the game they were going to score, and there wasn't a pitcher around that could stop them. They just had "it".
    They have a better 1-8 than I thought they did. Puig is the real deal and Uribe and the two Ellises are solid big league players. I see Puig becoming a superstar. Watching him scale back his game a bit and just drive the ball up the middle was pretty impressive. He's just going to build on that. He's very well schooled in the fundamentals (as most Cuban players are).

  5. #1724
    Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    836
    Thanks
    413
    Thanked 183 Times in 96 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were plenty of people questioning the move to not bring in Kimbrel in the 8th before it backfired.

    Look, you can dispute whether we should fault Fredi for it or not, because I agree that most big league managers would have done the same. But you absolutely cannot dispute that not using the best pitcher in baseball in an elimination game was the wrong move.

  6. #1725
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    21,903
    Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,900 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    There were plenty of people questioning the move to not bring in Kimbrel in the 8th before it backfired.

    Look, you can dispute whether we should fault Fredi for it or not, because I agree that most big league managers would have done the same. But you absolutely cannot dispute that not using the best pitcher in baseball in an elimination game was the wrong move.
    It's a tough call because Kimbrel isn't called upon often secure multi-inning saves, but I would have pitched him for six outs, facing elimination.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  7. #1726
    Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    836
    Thanks
    413
    Thanked 183 Times in 96 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, saying you wouldn't use him for six outs is missing the point.

    Would you rather use him for Puig, Uribe, Schumacher or Ellis, PH, Crawford? Easy choice.

  8. #1727
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    21,903
    Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,900 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    Again, saying you wouldn't use him for six outs is missing the point.

    Would you rather use him for Puig, Uribe, Schumacher or Ellis, PH, Crawford? Easy choice.
    And anyways, I said I would have used him for six, but I agree with your point.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  9. #1728
    Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    836
    Thanks
    413
    Thanked 183 Times in 96 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, wasn't directed at you.

  10. #1729
    if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,260
    Thanks
    3,007
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Still disagree. Every manager in the playoffs goes with their set up man in the 8th then their closer in the 9th.

    It's really easy to criticize in hindsight because it didn't work out. It's not like Carpenter was a scrub reliever. He'd posted dominant numbers all year. You dance with what got you there. Our bullpen has saved us so many games this year and kept us in so many games. Carpenter wanted the ball too, it's not like Gonzalez forced it upon him.
    Joe Madden and coaches like him laugh at your thoughts

    Joe Torre used mariano rivera for over 25% of his saves in the post season to get 6 outs

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

    Dalyn (10-08-2013),jpx7 (10-09-2013),TXBravesFan (10-09-2013)

  12. #1730
    Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's a tough call because Kimbrel isn't called upon often secure multi-inning saves, but I would have pitched him for six outs, facing elimination.
    Kimbrel pitched 2.0 innings in the 2010 NLDS game 2 as a rookie!! Threw 33 pitches after already being used in game 1!!! One of the reasons he isn't called on for more 2-inning saves is to keep him fresh for these exact situations! No single game in the regular seasons matters this much.

    Of course, we had a manager back then who in hindsight seems like a genius by comparison...

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strike3urout For This Useful Post:

    Diesel (10-09-2013),Garmel (10-09-2013),jpx7 (10-09-2013),TXBravesFan (10-09-2013)

  14. #1731
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    21,903
    Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,900 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    Kimbrel pitched 2.0 innings in the 2010 NLDS game 2 as a rookie!! Threw 33 pitches after already being used in game 1!!! One of the reasons he isn't called on for more 2-inning saves is to keep him fresh for these exact situations! No single game in the regular seasons matters this much.

    Of course, we had a manager back then who in hindsight seems like a genius by comparison...
    All good points.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  15. #1732
    It's OVER 5,000! cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    9,119
    Thanks
    2,605
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost about 5 hours of sleep over the last 2 days because I couldnt stop being pissed about Kimbrel not pitching. I think I am finally starting to get over it. Just want to say I am not mad at Carpenter and I think its impressive that he got 3 straight outs after that home run. I think a lot of non-veteran pitchers would get rattled knowing they just lost the season for their team.
    "State power feeds on crisis and enemies"

    John T. Flynn 1944

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

    bravesnumberone (10-09-2013)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •