Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pitch clock for 2018 season.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    In addition to the announced limited number of visits to the mound, there is a new wrinkle. This added "time shortening" wrinkle has not been talked about much by media pukes.

2:05 breaks between innings, with details on milestone within that time period shown here.

Pitchers are no longer guaranteed the current 8 warm-up pitches.

Pitcher will be advised when his last warm-up pitch is happening (25 seconds remaining between innings).

Batter must approach the box as the last warm-up pitch is thrown. (Does this mean no throw down by catcher??)

Pitcher must be ready to go once the batter is ready in the box.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Hey, they could just widen the strike zone by one foot to either side and lengthen from the top of the dirt to the bill of the cap. That should speed things up nicely.....
    Just make the whole game sudden-death.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Just make the whole game sudden-death.
    The late Gene Mauch would love it. His penchant for first-inning sacrificing bunting would become the uber-strategy!

I think the nibbling around the edges is a bit ridiculous with the approach to warm-up pitches, etc., but limiting mound visits should help a lot. I haven't kept up with this and does the mound visit limit include visits where there is a change in pitchers or just the times the pitching coach goes to the mound to discuss strategy, check how the pitcher feels, etc. The innocuous visits to the mound really do p*ss me off. Professional baseball players have been playing since they were 5 or 6 in most cases and if they haven't been taught through the years of how to handle each situation in a baseball game, they really must have not been listening to their coaches or have had really lousy coaching. Make every player read Fred Stanley's The Complete Instructional Baseball Manual.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 02-22-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Coaching visits are only going to be replaced with catcher visits or SS visits or 1B visits. Plus have they even spelled out penalties. They basically said don’t do this or you will be in trouble. I hope a manager visits the mound once every inning just to piss dumbfred off. What a freaking idiot this commissioner is.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Coaching visits are only going to be replaced with catcher visits or SS visits or 1B visits. Plus have they even spelled out penalties. They basically said don’t do this or you will be in trouble. I hope a manager visits the mound once every inning just to piss dumbfred off. What a freaking idiot this commissioner is.
    Anyone going to talk to the pitcher, coach, manager, catcher or SS, is considered a visit. 6 per game. Visits to replace a pitcher do not counted as one of 6 visits.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It really is dumb. I agree with some things like shorter breaks between innings and the absurdity that can happen when a batter steps in and out and the pitcher goes through a million signs. But limiting pitching visits per game? come on.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It really is dumb. I agree with some things like shorter breaks between innings and the absurdity that can happen when a batter steps in and out and the pitcher goes through a million signs. But limiting pitching visits per game? come on.
    Do we have a projection for how much time limiting mound visits will cut off per game? I would imagine it’s very insignificant.

The breaks between innings thing should cut off a decent amount of time though

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Do we have a projection for how much time limiting mound visits will cut off per game? I would imagine it’s very insignificant.

The breaks between innings thing should cut off a decent amount of time though
    I think the mound visit limit will cut time, but it depends on what one thinks is significant. I just get tired of all the mound conferences that are used to buy time for the bullpen and the interminable discussions to go over strategic implications that anyone who has ever played high school baseball can figure out on their own.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    In addition to the announced limited number of visits to the mound, there is a new wrinkle. This added "time shortening" wrinkle has not been talked about much by media pukes.

2:05 breaks between innings, with details on milestone within that time period shown here.

Pitchers are no longer guaranteed the current 8 warm-up pitches.

Pitcher will be advised when his last warm-up pitch is happening (25 seconds remaining between innings).

Batter must approach the box as the last warm-up pitch is thrown. (Does this mean no throw down by catcher??)

Pitcher must be ready to go once the batter is ready in the box.
    I was listening to Inside Pitch on MLB Radio the other day and they had a reliever on talking about how he didn't think the 2:05 time was enough for when a guy has to come from the bullpen to warm up between innings. I am not sure I like this restriction. Also, they said that umpires are being given discretion to allow more than 6 visits if needed if there appears to be a cross-up between catcher and pitcher and other things. Basically giving umps the ability to not enforce the rule.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4maddux_cy's For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-24-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    I was listening to Inside Pitch on MLB Radio the other day and they had a reliever on talking about how he didn't think the 2:05 time was enough for when a guy has to come from the bullpen to warm up between innings. I am not sure I like this restriction. Also, they said that umpires are being given discretion to allow more than 6 visits if needed if there appears to be a cross-up between catcher and pitcher and other things. Basically giving umps the ability to not enforce the rule.
    How dare you listen to XM - don't you know the blackjack dealer says people shouldn't do that?!?!?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the mound visit limit will cut time, but it depends on what one thinks is significant. I just get tired of all the mound conferences that are used to buy time for the bullpen and the interminable discussions to go over strategic implications that anyone who has ever played high school baseball can figure out on their own.
    I think having six of those mound conferences in a game is rare, but I have no proof of that. I agree that it’s annoying when they do that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    If football players taught their whole live to lead with their heads can adjust,
    I think Joe Maddon and rest of today's brainiac managers can figure this one out

I get tired of professional sports people trying to make the games into rocket science.
    You get 6 visits, make them meaningful .

How's about cutting out the 7th inning stretch that since 9/11 has turned into an inning unto itself
    and yes, 2 minutes between innings is plenty.
    Good high school coaches teach their catchers 30 second rules

Don Sutton offers the opinion that 8 warm up pitches are unnecessary and should be added to pitch count considration.

Baseball played in 70-90F temperatures, the players arms are always warm and loose.
    Just an excuse for more commercials
    Last edited by 57Brave; 02-24-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Real #hottake territory here, but I think people (myself included) just need longer and better attention-spans.

I liken this to complaining about films that run longer than the supposedly-magical one-hundred-minute mark. If a film is good and sustains itself, why shouldn’t it run 2.5-3 hours (or even longer, for that matter). If you can’t sit through a good film, or a competitive game, for three hours, maybe—just maybe—you don’t really like film, or baseball, all that much.

Now go ahead and kindly remove yourselves from my lawn.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."