Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Top 100 Released

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There was reporting last year that Anderson was throwing 95-98 with plus movement on his fastball. The results for a pitcher that young are secondary to what people are watching/charting.
    Think you're remembering something wrong. There were never reports of his velocity in that range

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Not necessarily disputing those reports but Ian was not sitting there at that velocity. I saw all of Rome pitchers 3-4 times each. He was better at 93-94-ish when I saw him. I was excited about him but enjoyed Wentz the most. It's probably subjective because Wentz was on fire everytime I saw him. That being said, Ian looked the part.
    Yep. I only saw him once, but anything above the low 90s seemed to consistently sail high. I'm curious to see how that plays at higher levels, but I'm not optimistic on it unless he can rein it in quite a bit.

Agreed on Wentz, the guy has an "it" factor.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Think you're remembering something wrong. There were never reports of his velocity in that range
    It's the old thethe bump. It's confused Chip, too, but for other reasons.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-22-2018), zbhargrove (01-22-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I think Riley is a rung too high (likely due to BA really liking his defense) but other that it's not a bad list at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Even after having the international guys taken we still have the best farm system in baseball. That’s amazing to me. And that’s after graduating Swanson and Albies. Hopefully AA can trade for a low Comp pick before the draft.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Even after having the international guys taken we still have the best farm system in baseball. That’s amazing to me. And that’s after graduating Swanson and Albies. Hopefully AA can trade for a low Comp pick before the draft.
    Yeah....pretty crazy.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    The numbers in parenthesis are where the player ranked in the midseason 2017 version.

Acuna 1 (10)
    Gohara 23 (76)
    Soroka 27 (33)
    Wright 34 (41)
    Anderson 42 (55)
    Riley 54 (NR)
    Allard 65 (23)
    Fried 72 (NR)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...Mk41zSmXLV2.97
    Great list.

Top 10 pick coming soon too. Still have waves of pitchers. Still have some young position guys that are not on the list that have a shot like encarnacion and cruz.

Riley is not a guy Klaw likes. He's been very clear that he thinks the d is only ok and the bat is too slow. BA likes the D and has listed a lot of guys with avg bat speed that did well. From everything I've read I really like Riley but i'd be ok if we sold high on him. I do not think the idea of him being our 3B this year or next makes any sense. He is a power guy and power comes later. He should get a full year at AA this and a full year at AAA the following year before considering anything else. This is reason 1783 that I love the idea of a short term Frazier signing for 3B.

Klaw's write up on Wentz is interesting. Really plays up his deception in the delivery for why he gets away with his low velocity FB. I wonder if he could be a Alex Wood type guy. Wood threw harder and throws even harder now. But I think young Alex wood was 92 ish. Wentz is still very young and might be able to get that 88-90 up to 90-92.

I really wish we could convince the Brewers that they can give up an OF and we can give up someone from the Fried, Newcombe, Simms, Folty, Tehran group. Package dependent on the OF they are willing to part with.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-23-2018), jpx7 (01-22-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Great list.

Top 10 pick coming soon too. Still have waves of pitchers. Still have some young position guys that are not on the list that have a shot like encarnacion and cruz.

Riley is not a guy Klaw likes. He's been very clear that he thinks the d is only ok and the bat is too slow. BA likes the D and has listed a lot of guys with avg bat speed that did well. From everything I've read I really like Riley but i'd be ok if we sold high on him. I do not think the idea of him being our 3B this year or next makes any sense. He is a power guy and power comes later. He should get a full year at AA this and a full year at AAA the following year before considering anything else. This is reason 1783 that I love the idea of a short term Frazier signing for 3B.

Klaw's write up on Wentz is interesting. Really plays up his deception in the delivery for why he gets away with his low velocity FB. I wonder if he could be a Alex Wood type guy. Wood threw harder and throws even harder now. But I think young Alex wood was 92 ish. Wentz is still very young and might be able to get that 88-90 up to 90-92.

I really wish we could convince the Brewers that they can give up an OF and we can give up someone from the Fried, Newcombe, Simms, Folty, Tehran group. Package dependent on the OF they are willing to part with.
    After his second stint on the DL in 2017, Wood's velocity came back down to 90-92. It's too early to compare Wentz to him or anyone else, but the uptick in Wood's velocity in the first half of 2017 when he was lights-out didn't hold up over the rest of the season. I won't bother speculating as to why that might have been.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    After his second stint on the DL in 2017, Wood's velocity came back down to 90-92. It's too early to compare Wentz to him or anyone else, but the uptick in Wood's velocity in the first half of 2017 when he was lights-out didn't hold up over the rest of the season. I won't bother speculating as to why that might have been.
    I know Jaw saw him once, but I did 4 times I know. No way in heck Wentz was at 88-90. He was low 90's and devastated some good lineups. Scouting is inexact but I like him a lot. A few scouts said the same thing. In any case he was sustain it soon.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I know Jaw saw him once, but I did 4 times I know. No way in heck Wentz was at 88-90. He was low 90's and devastated some good lineups. Scouting is inexact but I like him a lot. A few scouts said the same thing. In any case he was sustain it soon.
    I think Jaw was referring to Anderson when saying that "anything above the low 90s seemed to consistently sail high." The only thing he mentioned about Wentz was that "the guy has an 'it' factor."
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-23-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    So Moniak, Phillies #2 overall pick in 2016, is not even on this top 100 list. I know a lot of disagree about taking Anderson a spot later but damn that's harsh.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think Jaw was referring to Anderson when saying that "anything above the low 90s seemed to consistently sail high." The only thing he mentioned about Wentz was that "the guy has an 'it' factor."
    No.I got that part. I probably was referring to other posts talking about Wentz 's velo.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Braves have the prospect capital to take the hit on a Yelich trade as long as Acuna isnt involved (i know thats who they asked for, but you start high then settle for common ground)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    So Moniak, Phillies #2 overall pick in 2016, is not even on this top 100 list. I know a lot of disagree about taking Anderson a spot later but damn that's harsh.
    Anderson is over the board favorite Lewis as well. I'm sure thats with the injuries baked in but still...
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    On the chat today BA said that there was an intense debate between Acuna, Ohtani, and Vlad. I'm honestly floored that they put Acuna at number 1. I mean, Acuna really is special and all, but the best pitching prospect we have seen in years that also has a chance to contribute with the stick? That is truly a once in a lifetime type prospect. It speaks really highly of what folks think about Acuna that they put him above Ohtani.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    That was a weird pick. I was never high on Moniak and he hasn't let me down.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That was a weird pick. I was never high on Moniak and he hasn't let me down.
    I liked (and still like) Moniak, but there will be questions as to whether or not he will ever develop any power. Great hitting mechanics, but to be in the top one hundred, you pretty much have to show you can drive the ball consistently.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    It's actually even worse than that. He was the top overall pick that year. As it stands, only Puk and Bichette rank ahead of Anderson from the 2016 class from what I can tell.
    Last edited by mqt; 01-22-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    It's actually even worse than that. He was the top overall pick that year. As it stands, only Puk and Bichette rank ahead of Anderson from the 2016 class from what I can tell.
    Yeah I apparently can't read. He obviously has time to turn things around and it's only one listing but it doesn't look good at all.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Anderson is over the board favorite Lewis as well. I'm sure thats with the injuries baked in but still...
    To me it's clear it's with injuries baked in but that's part of the game.