Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Top 100 Released

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He's obviously not going to say that any Braves prospect's floor is a guy who never contributes anything. These guys will read this stuff.

My guess is that he means that a reasonable low-end projection for him, given his current abilities, is Kevin Pillar. I don't think there's ever been any prospect in baseball history in A-ball who didn't have an absolute floor of 'never contributes anything at the major league level.' Obviously Kiley knows that.

What Pache does have is apparently incredible athleticism and defense. Sure, it's possible he doesn't get to Pillar's level. But Pillar was a major league player who made it almost entirely on defense and athleticism. So even if Pache doesn't add anything else to his game, he can get to a level like that. I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying.
    I suppose I misread, “if doesn't improve at all he's something like Kevin Pillar”, to mean something other than describing his low end projection.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Apparently not to the HOF though.
    sad but true

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I suppose I misread, “if doesn't improve at all he's something like Kevin Pillar”, to mean something other than describing his low end projection.
    I agree it was poorly written but I also doubt he meant it as you were describing (absolute floor of 3 WAR)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He's obviously not going to say that any Braves prospect's floor is a guy who never contributes anything. These guys will read this stuff.

My guess is that he means that a reasonable low-end projection for him, given his current abilities, is Kevin Pillar. I don't think there's ever been any prospect in baseball history in A-ball who didn't have an absolute floor of 'never contributes anything at the major league level.' Obviously Kiley knows that.

What Pache does have is apparently incredible athleticism and defense. Sure, it's possible he doesn't get to Pillar's level. But Pillar was a major league player who made it almost entirely on defense and athleticism. So even if Pache doesn't add anything else to his game, he can get to a level like that. I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying.
    I think I agree with you but words matter. They especially matter when you write and/or communicate for a living.

Floor should mean floor. He could easily say a low end comp is Pillar. If he never hits he is probably Billy Hamilton.

We all get that floor doesn't totally mean floor. IF you look at prospect outcomes the easiest way to be correct the highest percentage of the time is to say the guy is going to be a 0-1 total WAR guy for his career. Most guys don't make it. But floor doesn't mean you hit better in MLB than you hit in A ball either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think I agree with you but words matter. They especially matter when you write and/or communicate for a living.

Floor should mean floor. He could easily say a low end comp is Pillar. If he never hits he is probably Billy Hamilton.

We all get that floor doesn't totally mean floor. IF you look at prospect outcomes the easiest way to be correct the highest percentage of the time is to say the guy is going to be a 0-1 total WAR guy for his career. Most guys don't make it. But floor doesn't mean you hit better in MLB than you hit in A ball either.
    It was a chat, though. I think intent is more important than wording in a chat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Kiley didn’t actually use the word floor.

Pillar has been one of the very worst qualifying outfield hitters by wRC+ in each of the last three years.

Kiley may be saying he sees pache’s hit tool as good enough to perform at that level right now.

Obviously he might not be good enough to make the majors or have qualifying at bats, but kiley may be saying he doesn’t see that happening based on his tools right now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-25-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Pillar is actually rated #205 out of #232 qualifying players in wRC+ between 2015-2017.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Kiley didn’t actually use the word floor.

Pillar has been one of the very worst qualifying outfield hitters by wRC+ in each of the last three years.

Kiley may be saying he sees pache’s hit tool as good enough to perform at that level right now.

Obviously he might not be good enough to make the majors or have qualifying at bats, but kiley may be saying he doesn’t see that happening based on his tools right now.
    but if i can't nitpick and criticize to the max then what has this all been about?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-25-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Pillar is actually rated #205 out of #232 qualifying players in wRC+ between 2015-2017.
    I think Pache's likely outcome is a lesser version of Ender. Same defense but a 90 WRC+ hitter. Hopefully he hits because if that develops we would be looking at a very good player with his defense and speed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think Pache's likely outcome is a lesser version of Ender. Same defense but a 90 WRC+ hitter. Hopefully he hits because if that develops we would be looking at a very good player with his defense and speed.
    We will see. I am not going to look up the numbers but I think Pache has a better track record at this point than Ender. I think he might be a better defender too. But I'd still deal him if we could get Yellich.

Allard didn't even make Klaw's list for just missed the top 100. What am I missing? I haven't seen anyone say he's a number 1. But there are a lot of future mid rotation guys in the Klaw top 100. He's way low on Allard and Riley compared to others and way high on Wentz, Anderson and Pache compared to others.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    And a perfect replacement for Ender in a couple years.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    We will see. I am not going to look up the numbers but I think Pache has a better track record at this point than Ender. I think he might be a better defender too. But I'd still deal him if we could get Yellich.

Allard didn't even make Klaw's list for just missed the top 100. What am I missing? I haven't seen anyone say he's a number 1. But there are a lot of future mid rotation guys in the Klaw top 100. He's way low on Allard and Riley compared to others and way high on Wentz, Anderson and Pache compared to others.
    It's not just Law, but all those guys seem to have "favorites" as well as guys they're just not sold on for varying reasons. Riley's always been one of those as far as Law's concerned - but there are others that have bones to pick with a couple guys that the other "experts" are high on as well. Law has just always been one of the last to be willing to change his mind once he's voiced an opinion on a prospect IMO - they really have to explode before he acknowledges improvement usually rather than show incremental improvement as Riley has.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And a perfect replacement for Ender in a couple years.
    I agree. Someone like that would be a good replacement for Ender. Even if he doesn't hit a lot he could still be a 2 WAR player due to his defense and base running. Hit him 8th and use him while he's cheap and move on. If the hitting does develop you could have a prime Michael Bourn on your hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think you guys are under seeing pache offensive potential. I think he will hit better than ender

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think you guys are under seeing pache offensive potential. I think he will hit better than ender
    We know you think every prospect will be an all-star but that's not always the case. Pache's ceiling is hitting better than Ender and being a Bourn type player in his prime. His most likely outcome is hitting less than Ender and being a good role player while he's cheap.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We know you think every prospect will be an all-star but that's not always the case. Pache's ceiling is hitting better than Ender and being a Bourn type player in his prime. His most likely outcome is hitting less than Ender and being a good role player while he's cheap.
    I think this way because he performed well at an exceptionally young age. I don't think he will be a good hitter but one that produces more than ender.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think this way because he performed well at an exceptionally young age. I don't think he will be a good hitter but one that produces more than ender.
    So you think Pache will be an all-star then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So you think Pache will be an all-star then?
    All star is dependent on comparative performance so it's impossible to say. I do think he will beat out Ender by a few points in wRC+.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

Law's lists are bad because they aren't consistent, as you have just pointed out.

He seems to project ultimate upside based on his own eye test, and then fails to properly account for proximity to the MLB level. As icing on the Terrible List Cake, he is unwilling to assimilate new information (like Riley's improved defense) into his rankings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Pache could definitely end up a better hitter than Inciarte, but it's far from a sure, or even a probable, thing. I think if people thought Ender could hit the way he has, he wouldn't have been a Rule 5 guy. Now, just because people missed on him doesn't mean Pache can't hit better than that. But Ender's not-terrible offense has probably been a surprise to some teams.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg