Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #1 Farm System

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Only guy they lost is Maitan who dropped and isn't even in most top 100 lists. So nobody (yet) that we lost is effecting our ranking at all.
    it's still crazy to lose 12 players and not have it affect your system that much.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Better statement would be we have graduated two top 20 talents the last 2 years and still #1. That is pretty crazy
    Coppy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (01-26-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    it's still crazy to lose 12 players and not have it affect your system that much.
    Which makes it doubly crazy to break enough rules to get yourself a lifetime ban from the sport to acquire those 12 players who don't have much impact on the system. It's like getting fired on your day off for stealing boxes.

I realize folks are trying to spin this into some sort of statement about how marvelous the Braves farm is, but it probably says more about just how inept the international scouting was under Coppy than anything else.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It makes you wonder...

Why all the cheating for so many mediocre international prospects?
    bc they might not be in a couple of years.

There are a couple of big guys each year but you sign 20 of those guys and hope you get 1 top 100 guy. That's how we got Albies and Acuna. If we would have lost either after their first year stateside it would not have impacted our top 100 lists.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Which makes it doubly crazy to break enough rules to get yourself a lifetime ban from the sport to acquire those 12 players who don't have much impact on the system. It's like getting fired on your day off for stealing boxes.

I realize folks are trying to spin this into some sort of statement about how marvelous the Braves farm is, but it probably says more about just how inept the international scouting was under Coppy than anything else.
    In all fairness these are teenagers that won’t get recognized until they start playing full season. Much like Acuna and Ozzie. So calling them garbage is no more fair than calling them great.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

There are a couple of big guys each year but you sign 20 of those guys and hope you get 1 top 100 guy. That's how we got Albies and Acuna. If we would have lost either after their first year stateside it would not have impacted our top 100 lists.
    Damn you five minutes.
    Coppy

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    To be fair there were a few other guys in that list that were still highly thought of: Abrahan Gutierrez, and Yunior Severino are most notable. Severino signed for more the second go around than he did with the Braves.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

You are right about that. But most stateside scouts were underwhelmed by that group as a whole. Doesn't mean there won't be some gems in there however.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-26-2018)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I'm curious what the 3 and 5 year outcomes have been for teams with the '#1 farm system'. In other words, have teams actually improved by having the #1 farm system in a timeframe where all those prospects would become major leaguers?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I'm curious what the 3 and 5 year outcomes have been for teams with the '#1 farm system'. In other words, have teams actually improved by having the #1 farm system in a timeframe where all those prospects would become major leaguers?
    The 2 of note would be the Royals being ranked number 1 in most 2011 rankings and the Astros being ranked number 1 in most 2014 rankings. Both led to World Series victories a few years later. And both are technically mid to small market teams like us.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I remember there was some article done that took the top 3 and bottom 3 farm systems from 2000-2008 and averaged their records over a certain period of time. If I recall correctly the top farm systems had anywhere from a 6 to 9 win head start over the bad farms depending on the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Yes, there is a very strong correlation between top farm system and future success. The general exceptions were teams that were both incompetent, cheap, impatient, and had terrible player development. Good examples would be the Royals and the Pirates when those organizations were in death spirals. I wont say we are guaranteed a world series but we should be making the playoffs in the near future.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    how much of a crapshoot is international signing? i'm sure like with anything, there's a degree of scouting. but i would think a lot of it is getting lucky with how certain guys develop. it's obviously really tough to tell with 16-year old kids, which is why top guys miss all the time and $100K guys become top prospects.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    The 2 of note would be the Royals being ranked number 1 in most 2011 rankings and the Astros being ranked number 1 in most 2014 rankings. Both led to World Series victories a few years later. And both are technically mid to small market teams like us.

Difference is those systems were stocked full of hitters who could help you on a daily basis.
    Braves system is full of pitchers who could help you one out of every five games at best.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think it's way to early to judge the 2016 J2 signings. All of those guys except Yenci Pena were pushed very aggressively. Where the penalties will hurt is that it's going to really put a crimp in our minor league depth for a number of years. I thought we had seen the last of filling out our minor league teams with guys from the independent leagues, but it looks like we'll be heading back in that direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We will be really fortunate bc next offseason when we know what our prospects really are all about we will have a ton of money to spend also. Those 2 things don’t normally line up at the same time but AA put us in a position to make that happen. The hitters we lack can be bought while hopefully everything else will be home grown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Difference is those systems were stocked full of hitters who could help you on a daily basis.
    Braves system is full of pitchers who could help you one out of every five games at best.
    A starting pitcher has as many plate appearances as a hitter. I don't believe this is a universal truth anymore.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    While the Braves system does have a lot of pitchers in it they also have had 3 top 10 hitting prospects the last two years in Swanson, Albies, and Acuna. That's a good base to start from.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (01-27-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Chat with Soroka about tonight's MLB Pipeline Top 100 list...

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-po...?tid=151437456
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Chat with Soroka about tonight's MLB Pipeline Top 100 list...

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-po...?tid=151437456
    Soroka credits Chris Retisma some during his senior year. Never thought I would hear that name again.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-27-2018)