Thread: Whit Merrifield

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Whit Merrifield

I wonder why we haven't heard any rumblings regarding him? He is coming off a 4 bWAR season and he is a versatile player on a team in desperate need of a rebuild. The reason I ask is that I was unaware of just how good a season he had last year. Hell he was 1 homer away from a 20/20 season. He also plays very good defense. I understand he is already 28 and probably would cost a decent amount in trade, but if we are truly looking to solve third base he looks like he could be a very solid option. He can also play either outfield corner so it could open up a lot of intriguing options if we were able to move Markakis. There may be an obvious reason why we haven't heard any rumblings and I'm just being a dummy, but he seems like a player that would fit like a glove for us.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I wonder why we haven't heard any rumblings regarding him? He is coming off a 4 bWAR season and he is a versatile player on a team in desperate need of a rebuild. The reason I ask is that I was unaware of just how good a season he had last year. Hell he was 1 homer away from a 20/20 season. He also plays very good defense. I understand he is already 28 and probably would cost a decent amount in trade, but if we are truly looking to solve third base he looks like he could be a very solid option. He can also play either outfield corner so it could open up a lot of intriguing options if we were able to move Markakis. There may be an obvious reason why we haven't heard any rumblings and I'm just being a dummy, but he seems like a player that would fit like a glove for us.
    I know that players like Jose Bautista pop up from time to time, but a 29-year-old that didn't significantly alter his batted ball profile from a lengthy minor league career in which he had no power hitting 19 HRs seems like a fluke.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

This guy?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Merrifield is a perfect example of the kind of hitter the new ball benefits. He hits the ball at a below average exit velocity, but is able to loft enough fly balls into LF to hit 15+ HRs.

I have no idea if MLB will go back to a less lively baseball, but Whit isn't a guy I would count on to continue being a .750-.800 OPS bat. I also have no idea if he can play 3B or not, and I would like to see the Braves aim higher when they fill LF for 2019+.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Because the blackjack dealer decided he wasn't worth talking about. Not going to waste my time digging for it, but I mentioned him a month or two ago. Can guarantee he can link you right to it.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?