Julio3000 (03-08-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    http://theweek.com/articles/756326/m...mpaign=twitter

Mitt Romney is already blowing it

It's not merely that Romney has chosen to soft-pedal his criticism of both candidate and President Trump. It's not merely that being Sir Respectful will mean nothing if it doesn't translate into genuine, active, and aggressive congressional oversight of an executive branch that is rife with corruption and self-dealing. The problem is in the way that Romney is framing his exemplary opposition: Conservatism — his conservatism — is the antidote, and Trumpism is the poison.

This is wrong.

If there's anything we've learned from the Trump presidency, it's that Establishment Conservatism Inc. functions just fine with Trumpism in its veins. Here's an alternative metaphor: Trumpism is the fuel. Establishment Conservatism is its exhaust fumes.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Speaking of Old Mittens: https://www.wsj.com/articles/romneys...69005?mod=e2tw

Romney’s Russia Vindication

Thanks to last week’s indictments, we also know that Mr. Putin’s attempt to meddle in U.S. elections began in 2014, long before Mr. Trump chose to run for President. That interference went unopposed, and as far as we can tell, unanticipated by Mr. Obama, his CIA Director John Brennan and his Director of National Intelligence James Clapper until nearly the end of Mr. Obama’s second term. They did nothing about it until after Hillary Clinton lost.

Now, suddenly, amid the Mueller probe of the 2016 presidential campaign, Democrats have become Russia hawks. Some of the more intemperate, like Rep. Jerry Nadler, are calling the Russia indictments the “equivalent” of Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor. Mr. Nadler is poised to lead the impeachment of Mr. Trump as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee if Democrats take the House in November.

Mr. Romney is expected to win the Utah seat with ease, which should make him available to instruct Democrats on foreign affairs.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...n-diego-423433

Democrats fear California crack-up

LOS ANGELES — California Democrats are united in their disdain for President Donald Trump. But that’s about all they can agree on.

Heading into the annual state Democratic Party convention in San Diego this weekend, the Democratic-controlled Legislature is mired in a contentious sexual harassment scandal. Cutthroat primaries have party officials on edge. And grass-roots activists are still seething, nearly two years after Hillary Clinton defeated Bernie Sanders in the 2016 primary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

CNN commentator and former South Carolina state lawmaker Bakari Sellers (D) called Democratic leadership "old and stale" while praising Republicans for having "done a very good job at uplifting a lot of their younger leaders" during a network interview on Tuesday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/37...-old-and-stale
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...&ICID=ref_fark

Looking like Pence is going hard after abortion. I have always been Pro-life but the last thing I want is to be a part of group that makes up 50.1% imposing our will on the other 49.9%. Nothing should be illegal unless atleast 75% of us agree it should be illegal. I think the best course of action for Pro-lifers is to improve the conditions that lead to more abortions like the war on drugs. Its one thing if we have a national discussion about abortion but I expect Pence and Trump to try and ram it down the countries throat by hook or by crook. So we may end up with more policy supported by 30-40% of the country. **** like that leads to violent protests as we see with the war on drugs. I think this is going to be a major campaign issue for 2020 and if Trump wins reelection **** will hit the fan. Mass protests and violence. Curious to see what kind of tempter tantrum the evangelical right throws if they lose that fight.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ari Berman
    ‏Verified account @AriBerman

When Republicans don’t like election results they refuse

to hold elections. Scott Walker sued today in Wisconsin for blocking

special elections for vacant legislative seats

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...red-elections/

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ackdown-431969

A bloc of House Democrats is calling for an ethics investigation into the widespread practice of lawmakers sleeping in their offices, arguing it's an abuse of taxpayer funds.

There’s something unsanitary about bringing people to your office who are talking about public policy where you spent the night, and that’s unhealthy, unsanitary — and some people would say it’s almost nasty,” said Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, the top Democrat on the Homeland Security Committee.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Maybe they can get some backing from the germphobe-in-chief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Tom Bonier
    ‏Verified account @tbonier
    27m27 minutes ago

Here's a hastily assembled map of the counties where

the Democratic primary vote more than doubled,

relative to the 2014 primary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Tom Bonier
    ‏Verified account @tbonier
    27m27 minutes ago

Here's a hastily assembled map of the counties where

the Democratic primary vote more than doubled,

relative to the 2014 primary.

That's half what is going to happen. The other half is what was revealed in the Alabama Senate race. Which was depressed turnout in rural Republican areas. Combine those two things--big rise in Democratic turnouts and margins in urban and suburban areas and big drop in Republican areas--and you're going to get a tsunami in the mid-terms. I've been a Republican most of my life. My hope is that the results will act as a sobering wakeup call.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Were I a (R) I would seriously be rethinking the policies they have advocated these past 25-30 years.

Trumpism is an outgrowth of Reaganism.
    On steroids.

I laugh when people tell me Reagan couldn't be a part of today's (R)
    Politically - Reagan was Trump before Trump was Trump

Let's not forget the significance of the time and place where Reagan announced his 1980 campaign.
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

The (R) Party has been a snowball rolling down a hill for the sole purpose of creating a Trump Administration.
    I don't expect the mid terms to be a wake up call at all but a doubling down

Bear in mind the purpose of the GOP since 1933 has been to repeal the New Deal.
    Whatever they have to do to do that is on the table.

Thus, Trump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/08/demo...ons-polls.html

If midterm elections were held today, five Senate Democrats would lose to Republicans, giving the GOP an even bigger edge in the chamber, according to new surveys from Axios/SurveyMonkey.

According to the results, Democratic Sens. Jon Tester of Montana, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, and Joe Donnelly of Indiana are trailing generic Republican candidates. Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri trails the state's Republican attorney general, Josh Hawley, in her re-election bid. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota will face Rep. Kevin Cramer, although Axios polled Heitkamp's chances against a generic Republican candidate.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That's half what is going to happen. The other half is what was revealed in the Alabama Senate race. Which was depressed turnout in rural Republican areas. Combine those two things--big rise in Democratic turnouts and margins in urban and suburban areas and big drop in Republican areas--and you're going to get a tsunami in the mid-terms. I've been a Republican most of my life. My hope is that the results will act as a sobering wakeup call.
    I am genuinely curious exactly what policy changes you would like to see the GOP make. Do you mind elaborating?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Ari Berman
    21h21 hours ago

In 2012 Wisconsin Republicans won 48% of votes but 60% of legislative seats

Gerrymandering is form of election rigging

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Ari Berman
    21h21 hours ago

In 2012 Wisconsin Republicans won 48% of votes but 60% of legislative seats

Gerrymandering is form of election rigging
    No...that's a symptom on liberals voters concentrated in urban centers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Greg Sargent
    ‏Verified account @ThePlumLineGS
    23s24 seconds ago

With 48 hours to go in PA-18, the Trump tax cuts are vanishing from GOP messaging.

Instead, it's all immigration, criminals, and Pelosi Liberals. Also Trump's naked race baiting.

The awesome Trump economy isn't getting it done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    No...that's a symptom on liberals voters concentrated in urban centers.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.fdd3c91a55fb

“The partisan asymmetry in the existing map,” they wrote, “. . . was carefully and deliberately created, not a result of the natural clustering of voters in Wisconsin.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    from the above article, found this letter interesting
    .................................................. .........................................

wmconelly
    3/11/2018 5:10 PM EDT

The House of Representatives needs to grow. It was conceived to represent PEOPLE, not incorporated interests, or States' Rights, or to mimic the 100 FIXED seats in the Senate. The House is not working as conceived, and that's because the number of Reps in the House was locked at 435 after the census of NINETEEN TEN when our population was 91 million.

There are 321 million Americans now. Figuring from our Founders' original concept, in the House at least, 230 million people are either UNDER-represented or not represented AT ALL. Gerrymandering? Please. Let's expand our vision to see what Ben Franklin and Abraham Lincoln saw:

OF the People, BY the People, FOR the People means there should be FIFTEEN HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FOUR Reps now, today, enough to flood the so-called swamp with new people and new ideas EVERY TWO YEARS, enough to thwart the Country's current drift toward oligarchy and outright Russian style autocracy, deplorable states in which HUGE PERCENTAGES of money and power are concentrated in fewer more ruthless hands.

Vote--because the current Con won't stop until the Cons are out of office. 435 is no magic number. It's time to contemplate the appropriate lawsuits and doing away with the Apportionment Act; time to reassume the Constitutional Standards our Founders gave us

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Monmouth poll out today has the D ahead by 6% using a turnout model based on special elections this year, by 2% using traditional SE model, whatever that's worth.