1. Mize
    2. Bart
    3. Bohm
    4. Madrigal
    5. Liberatore
    6. McClanahan
    7. Stewart

Then the Braves take Rocker.

With Swaggerty still on the board, I would have a hard time being happy with drafting Rocker.

I have a feeling Swaggerty (and all other impact college bats) won't be available, so the Braves end up with a pitcher...may as well be Rocker if he's who they like. At least there are no reports of him being hurt or his stuff regressing.
    Seems like there have been some questions about Swaggerty's swing lately and a potential hitch that is scaring teams some -- think I read that in someone's chat this week, but I can't remember who. That said, Longenhagen just said two days ago that they would change their mock to put Swaggerty at 2 right now. Seems pretty unlikely that we'd have a shot at him anyway, but I agree. Would way rather have him than another HS arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Bart with the helium. Turang seems to have dropped off some.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    MLB Pipeline's mock: https://www.mlb.com/news/projections...?tid=151437456

"8. Braves: Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida

Last year, the Braves went the college arm route and were thrilled to have Kyle Wright available for them to take. McClanahan is a lefty with power stuff that will play at the next level. High school bats like Kelenic or Arizona-area third baseman Nolan Gorman also get brought up, as do the top two prep arms already off the board in this mock."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

Last year, the Braves went the college arm route and were thrilled to have Kyle Wright available for them to take. McClanahan is a lefty with power stuff that will play at the next level. High school bats like Kelenic or Arizona-area third baseman Nolan Gorman also get brought up, as do the top two prep arms already off the board in this mock."
    I can live with that kind of pick. Alec Bohm is one hitter I'm starting to take an interest in but it looks like he and Madrigal will both be gone by the time we pick.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

Another scenario where 1 of the 4 best college bats is available and the Braves go pitching.

I would have a hard time being happy with that pick in that scenario.

Maybe I'll be more excited about the non-Mize pitchers as more info is released.

India is also starting to get interesting.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-03-2018), jpx7 (05-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Another scenario where 1 of the 4 best college bats is available and the Braves go pitching.

Maybe I'll be more excited about the non-Mize pitchers as more info is released.
    I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I don't really like any of them. McClanahan has big reliever risk because his command sucks, and he's already had TJ. I've seen him pitch a few times and have no interest in him at 8.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-01-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I don't really like any of them. McClanahan has big reliever risk because his command sucks, and he's already had TJ. I've seen him pitch a few times and have no interest in him at 8.
    At least Rocker, and to some extent Stewart, has seen his stuff improve this year. Everyone else has either regressed or been shaky.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

India is also starting to get interesting.
    India scares me some. He obviously has been great this season, but not so much his first 2 years. His slugging this season (.839) is almost the sum of his freshman (.440) and his sophomore (.429) years. I watch sec baseball a good bit, but not close enough to know if he changed his swing or something. His babip this season is .448 after being .351 freshman year and .308 his soph year. You obviously are smarter than me at scouting stats... any of that a red flag or just natural progression?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    India scares me some. He obviously has been great this season, but not so much his first 2 years. His slugging this season (.839) is almost the sum of his freshman (.440) and his sophomore (.429) years. I watch sec baseball a good bit, but not close enough to know if he changed his swing or something. His babip this season is .448 after being .351 freshman year and .308 his soph year. You obviously are smarter than me at scouting stats... any of that a red flag or just natural progression?
    I'm a Florida fan and have watched India a lot. It's an approach change. He's talked a lot about being more selective and using the entire field instead of the dead pull guy he was for the first two years, and he's in better shape/stronger now than his first two years. He had a few smaller injuries last year that hurt his progress, too. He has been a well known guy since he was a sophomore in HS, but he made it clear he was going to Florida and wouldn't be signing out of HS unless it was really high.

He's interesting in that he has handled shortstop well as an emergency guy. Dalton Guthrie was one of the best defensive shortstops in the country during India's first two years, so there was no need for him there. Early this season, Deacon Liput was suspended and all-world freshman Brady McConnell got hurt. India filled in capably at short when both were out, but he returned to third when Liput came off suspension. He's passable at shortstop, just doesn't have the elite range that make him a no brainer there. But with the way the game is going with shifts and defensive positioning, that might not be a huge deal anymore.

Either way, India is an elite defender at third. Arm strength, athleticism, glove -- it's all there. It all comes down to how you project the bat as to whether or not we should consider him at 8. I'm admittedly biased, but I think the breakout is real.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-02-2018), jpx7 (05-01-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (05-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    No idea. I suspect BABIP in college is a bit like BABIP in MiLB in the sense that good hitters can sustain marks that are a bit higher than we are used to seeing at the MLB level due to inferior defenses. However, I'm confident .448 is unsustainable anywhere.

MLB teams aren't looking at his 1.388 OPS when the consider drafting him. They are looking at contact rates, pitch recognition, swing mechanics, swing speed, and exit velocities (somehow). Those are all things that can be improved upon between the ages of 20 and 21, so maybe he legitimately got better.

I'm not one of those guys who sits there trying to scout players from grainy video and pass myself off as an expert, so I'm not passing any prep prospect evaluation off as my own. I just read what I can from sources I consider competent, and formulate my opinions off that. I'm not Fat Ben trying to make myself sound like a scouting guru from the comfort of my couch.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Pretty much what I have been expecting.

2:35
    Fleer: What names are the braves connected to with the 8th pick of the draft? Is AA going to change their previous draft strategy of going pitcher heavy?

2:35
    Kiley McDaniel: Hearing mostly prep/power arms there, so seems like it’ll be more of the same, but that is a question the industry is also wondering

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Gorman is there I really hope we take him.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Kumar Rocker is the easy choice.

He's very athletic with great stuff that hasn't regressed at all, and the Braves need to market to the African American portion of the fan base.

He's a potential TOR guy, IMO.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    If anyone with the Braves is reading this: PLEASE TAKE KUMAR.

He will be a star. He's pretty much a hometown kid, too.

PLEASE.

He is Ronald Acuna in pitcher form.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    If anyone with the Braves is reading this: PLEASE TAKE KUMAR.

He will be a star. He's pretty much a hometown kid, too.

PLEASE.

He is Ronald Acuna in pitcher form.

Touki be mad now
    Coppy

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    CJ9’s India take is a good one. Bondsian slugging percentage notwithstanding, I don’t think anyone looks at India as a huge power prospect. He doesn’t have the body or swing for that.

That said, he hit .303/.367/.440 as a freshman, and if everything breaks right for him I could see him being that sort of hitter in the pros.

Add in plus-plus defense at third, the ability to capably fill in at short and positive contributions on the bases, and he could be a real solid, well-rounded player.

That said, I suspect eighth is still a little too high for India, unless the front office REALLY wants an advanced bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Keith Law mock: http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=8328

He gives us Gorman at 8 and says he’s heard about the connection a few times. Interesting. Not a huge fan.

Every other HS bat is still available and Carter Stewart is the only HS arm gone in this scenario.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Is Kumar, John Rockers son
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Kumar Rocker is the easy choice.

He's very athletic with great stuff that hasn't regressed at all, and the Braves need to market to the African American portion of the fan base.

He's a potential TOR guy, IMO.
    I don't know much about him, but why has he slipped so much in mocks?

The stuff may not have regressed, but it looks like it probably hasn't progressed like hoped.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Is Kumar, John Rockers son
    joke?