Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Either Wichita has the worst outfield defense in the world to play him in center or there shouldn’t be much problem playing him in left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed.

As much as I think drafting hitters is the best strategy overall, Stewart was pretty clearly the BPA at that point in the draft.

The Jenista pick is also pretty solid. The Braves got their Gorman/Riley hitter without using the 8th pick to get it. I'm on board. Comps to Springer (or any 4-5 win player) are a bit silly though.
    I'm all for a BPA approach. I consider risk to be part of the consideration for BPA and pitchers are, on the whole, riskier than hitters. That gives hitters a leg up for me. But there was no doubt that Stewart was the best player available even with the greater risk inherent in pitchers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    In FG's recap, they put "Two future ++ pitches" under the strengths column for Stewart. That makes his (non-injury) floor a high leverage BP arm.

The Braves made the right pick.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    KC had 5 picks on day 1.

They drafted 5 college pitchers.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    KC had 5 picks on day 1.

They drafted 5 college pitchers.
    Building for speed, not to last, not for quality but for purgatory.

Their two years in the sun were pretty flukish built on the back of a horrible division and getting hot at the right time. Braves are lucky to avoided DM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Steal of the day has to be Libby at 16 to the Rays. They did very well there, and their fans should be stoked.

Headscratcher of the day has to be Murray to the A's at 9...and then letting him play P5 football in the fall.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Steal of the day has to be Libby at 16 to the Rays. They did very well there, and their fans should be stoked.

Headscratcher of the day has to be Murray to the A's at 9...and then letting him play P5 football in the fall.
    Tampa did well. Anyone that drafted Murray knew it came with the condition that he played football. I wouldn’t do that, but I guess they really liked him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think he meant that what he saw was so convincing that he didn't want anything to make him second guess himself. Stewart was absolutely the right pick and I'd hate to have missed out because of scouting fatigue.
    I fully agree with Carter being the right pick. I just don’t understand the concept of not wanting to see more of someone just because you saw them at their best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    In FG's recap, they put "Two future ++ pitches" under the strengths column for Stewart. That makes his (non-injury) floor a high leverage BP arm.

The Braves made the right pick.
    This. Barring some injury or weird regression, he's a high leverage BP arm at least. As far as his ceiling goes, at this point there's nothing holding him back. The fastball-curve combo make the sky the limit. That could change depending on his his changeup and control develop, but the high floor and no cap make it easy to see why the Braves had him at the top of their board.
    Last edited by striker42; 06-05-2018 at 11:54 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018), Tapate50 (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I fully agree with Carter being the right pick. I just don’t understand the concept of not wanting to see more of someone just because you saw them at their best.
    The statement was made more for effect than accuracy. I'm sure there was additional scouting done of Carter. There was never a real intent to just stop there and lock him in. The statement was more to get the point across that this scout was 100% sold on Carter and any questions in the future would just be second guessing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    FG still has 4 guys with a FV 45 or (45+) rating:

Cole Wilcox - maxed out RHP who will likely see his stuff begin to decline.

TLDR from FG, "Wilcox isn't a prototypical elite prep righty because he has a maxed-out frame and odd delivery, but he also was up to 98 mph before the draft and has a plus changeup and plus control."

Kumar Rocker - also a pretty much maxed out HS kid.

Both these guys have a 60 PV/FV fastball, and project for average command. Biggest difference is Wilcox already has a good CH, while Rocker will rely more on his plus SL.

Mike Siani - old HS kid, maxed out, not too worried about missing out on him.

Adam Kloffenstein - super young (17.8) HS arm.

FG's TLDR, "Opinions all over the place, with low end considering him an 88-91mph backend starter and high end projecting him as a hard-throwing stud with shades of Michael Kopech."

He would have been a very interesting lottery ticket at the top of the 3rd round.

It's too bad the Braves don't pick again until #112. They likely don't have the slot money to get any of the 3 pitchers anyways.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-05-2018 at 12:02 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Think "not wanting to see him again" was probably rather tongue-in-cheekish - meant to convey "I've seen the guy I want".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    It was a dumb scout doing the 4th interview of his career trying to sound clever. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This. Barring some injury or weird regression, he's a high leverage BP arm at least. As far as his ceiling goes, at this point there's nothing holding him back. The fastball-curve combo make the sky the limit. That could change depending on his his changeup and control develop, but the high floor and no cap make it easy to see why the Braves had him at the top of their board.
    He's basically Touki with better present command at the time of the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    wren left coppy with such a bad system that coppy had to resort to cheating to try and make it better.
    shame really. thanks, wren

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Names who may or may not be available for us based on the BA 500 and Pipeline 200...

4th Round - Luke Bartnicki, Jonathan Bowlan, Isaiah Carranza, Cody Deason, Justin Jarvis, Charles Mack

5th Round - Richie Palacios (think he'll be long gone), Andrew Moritz, Joey Gerber, DaShawn Kiersey, Robert Neustrom

6th Round - Bren Spillane, Taj Bradley (think he'll be long gone), Jawaun Harris, Niko Decolati, Johnny Aiello
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    FG still has 4 guys with a FV 45 or (45+) rating:

Cole Wilcox - maxed out RHP who will likely see his stuff begin to decline.

TLDR from FG, "Wilcox isn't a prototypical elite prep righty because he has a maxed-out frame and odd delivery, but he also was up to 98 mph before the draft and has a plus changeup and plus control."

Kumar Rocker - also a pretty much maxed out HS kid.

Both these guys have a 60 PV/FV fastball, and project for average command. Biggest difference is Wilcox already has a good CH, while Rocker will rely more on his plus SL.

Mike Siani - old HS kid, maxed out, not too worried about missing out on him.

Adam Kloffenstein - super young (17.8) HS arm.

FG's TLDR, "Opinions all over the place, with low end considering him an 88-91mph backend starter and high end projecting him as a hard-throwing stud with shades of Michael Kopech."

He would have been a very interesting lottery ticket at the top of the 3rd round.

It's too bad the Braves don't pick again until #112. They likely don't have the slot money to get any of the 3 pitchers anyways.
    Wilcox tweeted out today that he's going to UGA so I doubt he gets drafted until later in the draft.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Wilcox tweeted out today that he's going to UGA so I doubt he gets drafted until later in the draft.
    And Rocker said he's going to Vandy. Seems like everyone thinks Siani (Virginia) and Kloffenstein (TCU) likely going to college at this point, too.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Names who may or may not be available for us based on the BA 500 and Pipeline 200...

4th Round - Luke Bartnicki, Jonathan Bowlan, Isaiah Carranza, Cody Deason, Justin Jarvis, Charles Mack

5th Round - Richie Palacios (think he'll be long gone), Andrew Moritz, Joey Gerber, DaShawn Kiersey, Robert Neustrom

6th Round - Bren Spillane, Taj Bradley (think he'll be long gone), Jawaun Harris, Niko Decolati, Johnny Aiello
    Not to tout a hometown guy, but University of Minnesota's Terrin Vavra can flat-out hit. Probably not a shortstop at the next level, but can easily move to 2B and maybe 3B. Good baseball pedigree. Father is now with Gardenhire in Detroit after spending more than a decade with the Twins and brothers both played in Twins' minor league system.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    And Rocker said he's going to Vandy. Seems like everyone thinks Siani (Virginia) and Kloffenstein (TCU) likely going to college at this point, too.
    Kloffenstein to Toronto in $650,000 slot.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)