Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Stewart projects for 2 pitches that grade 60-70 with good athleticism and a projectable frame. His fastball was in the low 90s late in the spring rather than mid 90s earlier in the year, so hopefully he can find that extra velocity again as he fills out. The athleticism is usually a good sign the pitcher will be able to add a change and repeat his delivery well enough to have average or better command. He is basically a Touki clone with better command projection, so wherever you rank Touki is 1-2 spots away from where you should rank Stewart.

Jenista literally grades out almost identically to Riley offensively (from the left side of the plate) with more straight line speed and less arm. He is obviously less advanced than Riley at this point, and there are some rumblings that he can't handle the OF. I'm guessing he is going to prove adequate in LF, and would place him somewhere in the Braves Top 15-20, just behind Waters and the catchers.

Beck is an injury riddled SP who has a chance to be a back end SP if everything bounces back. I don't like reports of straight fastballs in the low 90s from guys who are about to turn 22, so I'm not super hopeful. I'd place him on the back end of the Braves Top 30.

Riley is a JC pitcher who saw his velocity increase this spring. If he is able to maintain it, he is a potential SP. I prefer him to Beck, and he likely slots in the Braves Top 25-30.

Moritz sounds like a AAAA OFer who could see time at the end of a MLB bench as a 4th/5th OFer.

The rest of the guys seem like org filler.

Without a 3rd round pick the Braves only really got 2 guys with a reasonable chance to contribute in a meaningful way at the MLB level. I think I would have rather seen them punt most of their picks after Stewart/Jenista in order to make a push for Rocker or Wilcox. If those guys really wanted $3M+ to skip college then they were never really an option anyways though.
    How is a kid who hurt his back lifting weights, “injury riddled?” He’s never had any baseball related injuries. It was a freak accident.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    How is a kid who hurt his back lifting weights, “injury riddled?” He’s never had any baseball related injuries. It was a freak accident.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nati...e-draft-recap/

"Stanford RHP Tristan Beck (4) was a first-round talent in high school but has been injured a lot since his senior year."

I'll take EL's and Kiley's word for it over yours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2018)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

"Stanford RHP Tristan Beck (4) was a first-round talent in high school but has been injured a lot since his senior year."

From Bridges: I’ll take his word over Kiley

The Braves’ medical staff fully vetted Beck. Bridges and his scouts monitored him all season, and they see no concern of impacting him in the future. Bridges also felt it was a positive that the injury didn’t occur playing baseball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    For the 2018-2019 IFA signing period, we have the standard penalty for exceeding the bonus pool two years ago.

For the 2019-2020 period, there is a more severe penalty under which we will not be able to sign a player for more than 10K. That one will hurt.

For 2020-2021, we will have our bonus pool cut in half.
    I wouldn't worry about it at all.

According to Fat Ben, the Braves will be able to pick up prospects better than Waters by trading pool money at ~$1M each. They should be able to acquire 3-4 guys to slot into their Top 10 with little issue.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    For the 2018-2019 IFA signing period, we have the standard penalty for exceeding the bonus pool two years ago.

For the 2019-2020 period, there is a more severe penalty under which we will not be able to sign a player for more than 10K. That one will hurt.

For 2020-2021, we will have our bonus pool cut in half.
    we need wren to come in and hand select another albies and another acuña

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

I liked this pick for where we nabbed him. I’m like you though, there were a lot of people that passed on him for a reason. Maybe a good trade asset down the road.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    From Bridges: I’ll take his word over Kiley

The Braves’ medical staff fully vetted Beck. Bridges and his scouts monitored him all season, and they see no concern of impacting him in the future. Bridges also felt it was a positive that the injury didn’t occur playing baseball.
    LOL, of course the Braves think he's ok...or they wouldn't have drafted him.

Why are you arguing over 2 words in a 400 word post?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I liked this pick for where we nabbed him. I’m like you though, there were a lot of people that passed on him for a reason. Maybe a good trade asset down the road.
    I'm fine with the pick. It's not like these picks amount to much very often. I just don't have high hopes for a 22 year old throwing a low 90s fastball that is straight, regardless of his injury history.

The fact someone decided to argue over 2 words in a 400 word post is nothing more than a student pointing out spelling errors on the white board to make himself appear smart.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

He made 14 starts as a freshman and junior and none as a sophomore. He sat out a season. I assume it wasn't because he got different injuries just before every weekend.

You got a lot of faith in Kiley these days that you didn't have before.

Where do you get the idea his fastball is straight? Maybe what I saw was pre-injury but it suggested movement.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    LOL, of course the Braves think he's ok...or they wouldn't have drafted him.

Why are you arguing over 2 words in a 400 word post?
    Can you elaborate on these other mysterious injuries that have “riddled” his career?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He made 14 starts as a freshman and junior and none as a sophomore. He sat out a season. I assume it wasn't because he got different injuries just before every weekend.

Where do you get the idea his fastball is straight? Maybe what I saw was pre-injury but it suggested movement.
    Keith Law said it was straight. He doesn’t like Law’s scouting reports until it supports his narrative.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Can you elaborate on these other mysterious injuries that have “riddled” his career?
    "Oft-injured righty with bumps and bruises dating back to high school."

I don't need to come up with anything else. Just relaying the info I've seen.

I'm sorry it offends you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Keith Law said it was straight. He doesn’t like Law’s scouting reports until it supports his narrative.
    LOL

From FG:

"One of better college curveballs in the class but fastball is straight and doesn't miss bats."

Try again little boy.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    "Oft-injured righty with bumps and bruises dating back to high school."

I don't need to come up with anything else. Just relaying the info I've seen.

I'm sorry it offends you.
    So basically you have nothing to back it up? Got it. It’s hard to be a know-it-all when you don’t know what you’re talking about.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

LOL wow...

If I go back and change "injury riddled" to "injury history" will you guys be satisfied that you caught an error on the whiteboard?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    So basically you have nothing to back it up? Got it. It’s hard to be a know-it-all when you don’t know what you’re talking about.
    LOL good job little one. I'll change "injury riddled" to "injury history".

Gold star for you!! Go show mommy!!

Now, please share some of your thoughts...unless you can only pick nits.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Just an admission of you saying you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about will be great.

Beck had one injury. It cost him a year. He hasn’t been injured for 3 years.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Stewart projects for 2 pitches that grade 60-70 with good athleticism and a projectable frame. His fastball was in the low 90s late in the spring rather than mid 90s earlier in the year, so hopefully he can find that extra velocity again as he fills out. The athleticism is usually a good sign the pitcher will be able to add a change and repeat his delivery well enough to have average or better command. He is basically a Touki clone with better command projection, so wherever you rank Touki is 1-2 spots away from where you should rank Stewart.

Jenista literally grades out almost identically to Riley offensively (from the left side of the plate) with more straight line speed and less arm. He is obviously less advanced than Riley at this point, and there are some rumblings that he can't handle the OF. I'm guessing he is going to prove adequate in LF, and would place him somewhere in the Braves Top 15-20, just behind Waters and the catchers.

Beck is a SP with a back injury in his history who has a chance to be a back end SP if everything bounces back. I don't like reports of straight fastballs in the low 90s from guys who are about to turn 22, so I'm not super hopeful. I'd place him on the back end of the Braves Top 30.

Riley is a JC pitcher who saw his velocity increase this spring. If he is able to maintain it, he is a potential SP. I prefer him to Beck, and he likely slots in the Braves Top 25-30.

Moritz sounds like a AAAA OFer who could see time at the end of a MLB bench as a 4th/5th OFer.

The rest of the guys seem like org filler.

Without a 3rd round pick the Braves only really got 2 guys with a reasonable chance to contribute in a meaningful way at the MLB level. I think I would have rather seen them punt most of their picks after Stewart/Jenista in order to make a push for Rocker or Wilcox. If those guys really wanted $3M+ to skip college then they were never really an option anyways though.
    Sounds right, id add Victor Vodnik to the interesting pile with his mention on FG and several places on Twitter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Just an admission of you saying you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about will be great.

Beck had one injury. It cost him a year. He hasn’t been injured for 3 years.
    Now that you busted me about how I phrased Beck's injury history please share some of your thoughts on the draft if you can formulate any.

Thanks in advance =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

Look... I honestly don't know about Beck's injury history, but searching the internet, I cannot find anything about any injury other than the back injury. The way the FG article reads, it sounds like they just rattled the "injured a lot" line off the cuff without really looking closely. Please find me some kind of article explaining to me what major injury concerns Beck has besides the back one. That FG article does not count as there's no substance.