Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Debbie Downer maybe but I just don't see the optimism

Didn't want to put this in the ST thread because some baseball is better than no baseball, however, I just can't get excited about the 2018 Braves.

Sure you can put the TheThe spin on and look on the bright side. More power to those who can do that.

I guess I'm just more critical.

But the team in 2018 isn't markedly better than the 2017 team was and arguably a significant amount worse.

First, look at the offense. The hope is that Albies, Swanson, Camargo and eventually Acuna will begin to grow up and be big contributors on the offensive side. They better. Because the departure of Phillips, Kemp and MAdams, means they lose 50 HR and 70 2B, all guys with an OPS of at least .752. Add in the expected decline of Markakis and the catching platoon and, even with a full season of Freeman, the offense looks to be no better than it was last year and possibly considerably worse. The talent flow was all one way from an offense standpoint in the offseason.

The defense almost certainly will be better. Hopefully Swanson will start justifying his rep. Albies will likely be as good or better than an aging Phillips. The Camargo/Ruiz platoon likely can't be any worse than Garcia. Freddie and Inciarte will likely be themselves. Catching will probably take a step back and RF almost certainly will. LAdams, as bad as he is in LF, will be better defensively than Kemp but will still likely be bad until Acuna can arrive.

The SP is almost entirely relying on the blossoming of the young kids. Bottom line, they can't struggle but probably will.

The addition of McCarthy and Kazmir likely will be a net minus when compared with the presence of 2017 Dickey and Garcia. You have to hope that Kazmir isn't Colon. Let's hope Teheran bounces back but if he FB continues to decline...

In the pen, it looks to me that untried youth is replacing aging veterans. But, outside of Minter, the hope for a real difference maker looks pretty bleak.

The bench looks like a horrid wasteland of journeymen never-was guys who aren't particularly good at anything but make up for it by being bad offensive players.

And, finally, the minor leagues. Acuna will certainly arrive soon and be a help. Riley, Jackson and Demeritte all are the closest and all likely need at least another year. There's more pitching closer BUT if the offense is as bad as it looks like it will be you have to ask yourself is it worthwhile to burn service time.

Just trying to keep it real...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-22-2018)