Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    blasting them for what tho?
    they had reps there..
    I'm guessing what Folty was upset with is that it was clearly people he didn't know. I guess he was expecting reps from the club that he knew instead of no-name legal dudes?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Ah true they could have.
    Very silly not to just agree to the $100K for him.
    Can teams do that once it goes to arbitration? I don't believe the player/team knows what the other side is submitting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If folty had flipped a table at the meeting and cursed everyone, you would still side with him over the FO. You seem to hate the braves’ FO
    Well, he didn't.

I side with the person(s) I think is in the right.

Whether or not you agree is determined by your personal values.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Can teams do that once it goes to arbitration? I don't believe the player/team knows what the other side is submitting.
    idk if they can just say, "oh 100k? forget it, we'll just come to terms."
    i thought once they decided to go to arb they couldn't come to an agreement.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well, he didn't.

I side with the person(s) I think is in the right.

Whether or not you agree is determined by your personal values.
    only enscheff's personal views represent values.
    can you tell me what i value tho?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Teams agree to deals after submitting numbers all the time. The numbers are posted to MLBTR weeks in advance for crying out loud. They know the numbers.

The whole "file and trial" approach some teams take is a tactic used by ownership to systematically suppress wages by posing a deadline for a decision that is more expensive for the player to see pass than the team...as evidenced by what happened in Folty's case.

Considering JS was bed buddies with the league leadership, it is unsurprising the Braves take such a stance on labor relations.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    This is so minor. Pitch better Folty and all the money will be yours. He lost his arbitration so the Braves were right with their valuation. This will be a non issue once the season starts.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This is so minor. Pitch better Folty and all the money will be yours. He lost his arbitration so the Braves were right with their valuation. This will be a non issue once the season starts.
    Yes, we all know how accurate arbitration valuations are that are based on 1980s statistics haha

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What's the norm on these issues? If team representation is their more often than not then I agree with folty.
    I believe almost exclusively the teams send legal and operations. The GM rarely goes as does anyone else.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    What difference does it make? The Braves could have kicked $100k his way after the numbers went public.

They aren't spending on anything else.
    Could they really? I thought that was why there was a deadline?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Teams agree to deals after submitting numbers all the time. The numbers are posted to MLBTR weeks in advance for crying out loud. They know the numbers.

The whole "file and trial" approach some teams take is a tactic used by ownership to systematically suppress wages by posing a deadline for a decision that is more expensive for the player to see pass than the team...as evidenced by what happened in Folty's case.

Considering JS was bed buddies with the league leadership, it is unsurprising the Braves take such a stance on labor relations.
    I mean not knowing what the other side is submitting at the time they file. If teams can still come to terms after they file then it is silly to not agree to such a small amount.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I mean not knowing what the other side is submitting at the time they file. If teams can still come to terms after they file then it is silly to not agree to such a small amount.
    I agree. Very dumb to go to Arby over 100k if you are able to avoid it. I understand the issue of precedence, but the risk of souring relations with your players seem more important in my opinion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Well, there's also the negotiating before filing for arb. so i'm guessing neither side changed their numbers much beyond that negotiation. so yeah, the org. was being cheap. very cheap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The fact a team can call itself "file and trial" proves they can negotiate after numbers are submitted. The fact the numbers submitted by both sides are posted on MLBTR weeks in advance proves both sides know what those numbers are.

Imposing the "file and trial" mandate allows the team to weaken the player's overall bargaining position. It is much more costly for a player (both on a financial basis, and a personal basis, as shown in Folty's case) to attend his arb hearing than it is for a team to send a couple lawyers they already have on retainer. Therefore, the player is more inclined to concede his position before the file date than the team is.

It is nothing more than a systematic way to suppress labor wages. All over $100k. The Braves should be ashamed.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    It's especially dumb to go to arbitration over $100K because the team probably spends at least half of that in prep time and misc. fees. That being said, file and trial is a legitimate strategy, and as we've been reminded many times, baseball is a business.

Folty truly personifies the sniveling bitch though. Go be with your baby and grow the **** up.
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-14-2018 at 01:08 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-14-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    He said he didn't care about the difference in money but was upset that nobody from the Braves actually went to the hearing. But the article also explains Braves people were at the hearing just that Folty didn't know who they were.
    If he didn't "care about the difference in money", why in the *ell did he drag team officials and attorneys to a hearing in Arizona in the first place?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    He actually did say that he cared about the difference. He said, multiple times, that he felt he 'deserved' it.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Could they really? I thought that was why there was a deadline?
    Not to mention that they're "broke" according to His Highness.

They obviously couldn't since they can't afford it - going to need to take out a loan to turn the lights on to start the season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't have a strong opinion either way in this debate but keep in mind that the FO is not dealing with Folty, they're dealing with an agent. These are some of the hardest people to deal with and they're proud of that fact. If you back down with this agent once you're screwed in the future.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (02-17-2018), Knucksie (02-18-2018), Super (02-14-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yes, we all know how accurate arbitration valuations are that are based on 1980s statistics haha
    I don’t care what process was used. The fact is they used what was agreed upon by both sides and a decision was made. If Folty is still upset then that is on him. I have a feeling he won’t give a **** in a few months. If he pitches well he has a shot at a gauranteed contract that buys out his arb years. If he doesn’t then he will just do this again next year. It is a non story imo.
    Coppy