17 people dead, damn. I hate guns.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CK86 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (02-14-2018), jpx7 (02-14-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    We have an entertainment industry that unequivocally glorifies guns and violence, as well as a news media that practically idolizes these mass-murderers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-14-2018), jpx7 (02-14-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    We have an entertainment industry that unequivocally glorifies guns and violence, as well as a news media that practically idolizes these mass-murderers.
    We aren't the only country with gun violence in movies.

Taken was a French movie long before it got a US release.
    The Departed was ripped straight by a Korean or Japanese movie.
    Arnold, Stallone, Willis, etc. are all popular world wide because of their action movies with gun violence like Rambo, Terminator, Die Hard.

I could go on and on about this. Batman is strictly anti-gun.

Unfortunately news reports these mass murderers because people watch. Thats the downside of the free market news media. You have to compete for fluff stories, shootings, and the Anna Nicole-Smith stories.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-14-2018), jpx7 (02-14-2018)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Certain element of that I agree but I don't want to make this about Trump.

I do believe that there is a devaluation of the family and what that means. Can't describe it but it almost feels like the collective is pushed over the individual family and I don't like it.
    I'm sure ICE breaking up DACA families is a good recipe as well, I know you agree.
    Forever Fredi

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-15-2018), Jaw (02-14-2018), jpx7 (02-14-2018)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I don't wanna hear thethe complain about families being devalued when he consistently shows no empathy or sympathy for DACA families being broken apart or people like the guy in Michigan who was here for 30 years, did no wrong and worked hard and had a family and was deported. Family doesn't mean anything to those people when you look at them as less than human and devalue their families.

And to channel cajun, the same people dont care about the war on drugs breaking up families because of the police state.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm sure ICE breaking up DACA families is a good recipe as well, I know you agree.
    As a rule no but each case should be looked at differently. If you are committing crimes that require jail time then I'd rather they be kicked out of the country.
    Natural Immunity Croc

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    As a rule no but each case should be looked at differently. If you are committing crimes that require jail time then I'd rather they be kicked out of the country.
    This is already established in DACA. You must have no misdemeanors and have a clean record and be in school. That hasn't stopped you from posting non-sense about it either. You've been more concerned about the Dems not wanting to agree to a skewed immigration bill that has DACA in it so you can say gotcha.
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    This is already established in DACA. You must have no misdemeanors and have a clean record and be in school. That hasn't stopped you from posting non-sense about it either. You've been more concerned about the Dems not wanting to agree to a skewed immigration bill that has DACA in it so you can say gotcha.
    We have laws in this country that you obviously don't care about. THis isn't an immigration thread but if you want it to be then fine. Illegals broke the law and they knew the ramifications of those when they did it. Why should I feel sorry for them? They took great risk and received great reward. That is the nature of the risk.

This man wasn't a DACA recipient so that has no bearing on the argument so its stupid to bring it up.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    We aren't the only country with gun violence in movies.

Taken was a French movie long before it got a US release.
    The Departed was ripped straight by a Korean or Japanese movie.
    Arnold, Stallone, Willis, etc. are all popular world wide because of their action movies with gun violence like Rambo, Terminator, Die Hard.

I could go on and on about this. Batman is strictly anti-gun.

Unfortunately news reports these mass murderers because people watch. Thats the downside of the free market news media. You have to compete for fluff stories, shootings, and the Anna Nicole-Smith stories.
    Well, good luck getting a gun in South Korea or Japan.

It's interesting, though, that both the Koreans and the Japanese love their mass murdering via knife.

I'm not just talking about movies. There's also video games and music. That culture doesn't exist in the same ways abroad as it does here.

It's bizarre that I know who Adam Lanza is, and could pick him out of a photo lineup, but couldn't name or identify a single one of the children he killed. I'm not buying the "it's about ratings" line.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    17 people dead, damn. I hate guns.
    let me correct that,
    17 children dead
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    We have laws in this country that you obviously don't care about. THis isn't an immigration thread but if you want it to be then fine. Illegals broke the law and they knew the ramifications of those when they did it. Why should I feel sorry for them? They took great risk and received great reward. That is the nature of the risk.
    Yeah those DACA kids who came here as 2 year olds new what they signed up for alright. Anyways I'm not here to discuss immigration.

Im simply saying Id rather not hear you complain about society degrading and family being devalued when some of your political positions contribute to it.
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Yeah those DACA kids who came here as 2 year olds new what they signed up for alright. Anyways I'm not here to discuss immigration.

Im simply saying Id rather not hear you complain about society degrading and family being devalued when some of your political positions contribute to it.
    I believe in following laws and respecting sovereignty. Obviously you don't. He wasn't a DACA kid.
    Natural Immunity Croc

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

This man wasn't a DACA recipient so that has no bearing on the argument so its stupid to bring it up.
    Ratings contribute. Unfortunately that's human psychology. They want to know how a human could do such a horrible thing and are interested in looking at a trainwreck. It's pretty similar to the bystander effect.

Besides if the coverage were non stop on the victims people would just say let them rest in peace and stop exploiting their names.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I believe in following laws and respecting sovereignty. Obviously you don't. He wasn't a DACA kid.
    I never said he was a DACA kid... wut.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I never said he was a DACA kid... wut.
    You brought up DACA originally. This was not an example of a DACA family.

Nevermind - I see. The point still remains. I believe in our laws and sovereignty.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm not sure how the relative financial health of the firearms industry is a relevant data point here.

And it's neither here nor there, but the total amount spent by the NRA in '16 is probably more than twice that $30M figure.

I'm genuinely interested to know what you guys think the non-firearm-related remedies are here.
    I think for school related shootings at least, keeping several armed police officers on site at all times would help. Shooters will think twice about shooting up place if they know people in that place also have guns and are also trained.

At the very least, it seems like a better use of our police force than setting up speed traps, DUI checkpoints, and busting people for an ounce of weed.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-14-2018), thethe (02-14-2018)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think for school related shootings at least, keeping several armed police officers on site at all times would help. Shooters will think twice about shooting up place if they know people in that place also have guns and are also trained.

At the very least, it seems like a better use of our police force than setting up speed traps, DUI checkpoints, and busting people for an ounce of weed.
    Speed traps, DUI checkpoints, and weed arrests pay the bills.

Campus police cost money.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I for one don't want kids ( mine or yours ) to grow up in a country that requires on site armed police.
    Feel certain posters that have children agree
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Subtitle from The Guardian article: "With Trump in the White House, America’s gun manufacturers are in trouble after a golden era under Barack Obama"

Golden Era

Let that sink in before you descend into your little partisan claptrap.
    The truth of this is hard to overstate. I picked up a pistol last year for 60% of what it cost during Obama's presidency. AR variant prices have fallen even more, you can pick some up for $400 today, when it was tough to find them under $1k before. And despite those prices, the quantity of new gun sales continues to drop.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Ratings contribute. Unfortunately that's human psychology. They want to know how a human could do such a horrible thing and are interested in looking at a trainwreck. It's pretty similar to the bystander effect.

Besides if the coverage were non stop on the victims people would just say let them rest in peace and stop exploiting their names.
    I disagree. There's a fine line between exploiting the victims and making sure that their stories are told/grief adequately considered.

We just need to start holding ourselves to a higher standard and stop excusing immoral actions.

I'm one of those people that has a morbid fascination with the killers. Dave Cullen's book Columbine is like the holy grail on that score.

But we don't have to name them, and we don't have to put their faces on TV (or magazines or newspapers). At least not initially. There's got to be a better way.

You talk about human psychology, but take a moment and analyze the other side of that coin. Many of the individuals perpetrating these crimes are bullied or ostracized to the point of psychic break. One of their delusions (which, ironically, isn't that delusional) is their actions will elevate them to a status more popularly remembered than any of the people that once belittled them. And it's true.

We've gotta stop that.
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-14-2018 at 08:48 PM.