Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland School Shooting

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm following. Shapiro is saying that the ****ty rate of gun homicides in Indiana being less than that of Chicago amounts to some kind of epic burn on someone making the factually-unassailable point that most gun homicides in Chicago are committed with firearms purchased in other states with laxer gun regs. You're unwilling to say that bringing regs up across the board wouldn't move the needle. I am puzzled as to why you think the guy making the facile and irrelevant point is the crusader for truth here.
    Glad you and I agree that the idiot's original point was quite stupid.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Gun homicides in Chicago aren’t committed by people purchasing out of state guns, the murders are committed by people with stolen guns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    http://amp.dailycaller.com/2018/03/1...heck-database/

More stupidity under the Obama administration.
    Still nothing from those who claim to care about kids. Imagine if this action was approved under a republican?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Lack of positive male role models is why Chicago is a mess. Any other reason is rounding errors on the margins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Yeah no, the problem is we give poor kids all kinds of economic incentive to sell drugs instead of hamburgers. End the war on drugs and violence drops on half over 20 years. Everything else is just empty rhetoric that gets is nowhere.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

goldfly (03-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I'm following. Shapiro is saying that the ****ty rate of gun homicides in Indiana being less than that of Chicago amounts to some kind of epic burn on someone making the factually-unassailable point that most gun homicides in Chicago are committed with firearms purchased in other states with laxer gun regs. You're unwilling to say that bringing regs up across the board wouldn't move the needle. I am puzzled as to why you think the guy making the facile and irrelevant point is the crusader for truth here.
    I read Shapiro's response to mean that the access to guns wasn't the problem, since access is clearly more easily available to the people in Indiana, and that we should be looking at other factors to explain the higher gun violence rate in Chicago.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I read Shapiro's response to mean that the access to guns wasn't the problem, since access is clearly more easily available to the people in Indiana, and that we should be looking at other factors to explain the higher gun violence rate in Chicago.
    That's right.

The idiot who tweeted saying Chicago's violent crime is due to Indiana gun laws, doesn't jive with Indiana having lower crime rate than Chicago.

I thought that was simple.

But I'm glad julio found an issue with that and needed to make several posts about, but was silent on Google being sued for not allowing white males to be hired

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    So straw purchases of large numbers of guns in surrounding low-reg communities is not a problem? Even if it isn't THE problem?

We shouldn't treat the clearly identified symptoms while seeking to understand the disease?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    That's right.

The idiot who tweeted saying Chicago's violent crime is due to Indiana gun laws, doesn't jive with Indiana having lower crime rate than Chicago.

I thought that was simple.

But I'm glad julio found an issue with that and needed to make several posts about, but was silent on Google being sued for not allowing white males to be hired
    I will pour one out for all of my well-educated white male homies who are being oppressed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So you're fine with oppression then. You're just not ok with certain people being oppressed?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    I will pour one out for all of my well-educated white male homies who are being oppressed.
    So the qualified white male who isn't considered for the job bc of his skin and gender isn't being oppressed?

Or, it's just ok to do it?

Curious where you stand here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://babylonbee.com/news/democrats...-gun-violence/

Democratic National Committee spokesperson Michael Tyler announced Thursday that all candidates who run in the 2020 presidential election as Democrats will completely forego armed security for the entirety of their campaigns, in a clear and bold stance against gun violence in America.

“We’ve talked to all possible candidates and everyone has agreed. Gun violence is a huge issue in our country, and guns are the problem. So whoever runs for president as a Democrat in 2020—be it Bernie, Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Jerry Brown, and/or whoever else throws their hat in the ring—they will steadfastly refuse to employ security teams who carry scary firearms.”

Tyler further confirmed that if a Democrat wins the White House in 2020, their first order of business will be to disarm the Secret Service. Asked how the president would then be kept safe, Tyler revealed that they plan on introducing a gun-free zone encompassing a 500-yard radius around the president at all times.

“Problem solved,” he said.
    Go get him!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (03-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    https://ijr.com/2018/03/1076385-ohio...mpression=true

Submit to group think or suffer the consequences.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    And then there's this, which you haven't exactly raced to comment on.

https://www.wabe.org/cobb-students-c...tion-walkouts/

Both school districts citing policy. So we need to make up our mind here. I support the students in both cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    It's not really protesting unless there is disruption and some consequences. If the school sanctions it then it's not a protest. That's how you separate the true believers from the ones who feel socially obligated to participate. Getting disciplined for disagreeing with authority and being punished for it will be the best education they can get to prepare them for the future.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    the most attacked people with the biggest hardship in this country man

i cry everyday for this oppressed group that has it soooo hard
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    http://babylonbee.com/news/democrats...-gun-violence/

Democratic National Committee spokesperson Michael Tyler announced Thursday that all candidates who run in the 2020 presidential election as Democrats will completely forego armed security for the entirety of their campaigns, in a clear and bold stance against gun violence in America.

“We’ve talked to all possible candidates and everyone has agreed. Gun violence is a huge issue in our country, and guns are the problem. So whoever runs for president as a Democrat in 2020—be it Bernie, Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Jerry Brown, and/or whoever else throws their hat in the ring—they will steadfastly refuse to employ security teams who carry scary firearms.”

Tyler further confirmed that if a Democrat wins the White House in 2020, their first order of business will be to disarm the Secret Service. Asked how the president would then be kept safe, Tyler revealed that they plan on introducing a gun-free zone encompassing a 500-yard radius around the president at all times.

“Problem solved,” he said.
    seems like a good idea

since the rational right/conservatives has never wiped out a whole progressive movement by assassination in recent history

yes, i'm aware of the joke.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    https://ijr.com/2018/03/1076385-ohio...mpression=true

Submit to group think or suffer the consequences.
    protesting has consequences sometimes

glad he could learn a lesson from this

The student argued that divisive politics have no place in America’s schools
    this is funny and absurd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    And then there's this, which you haven't exactly raced to comment on.

https://www.wabe.org/cobb-students-c...tion-walkouts/

Both school districts citing policy. So we need to make up our mind here. I support the students in both cases.
    “As students, we do not understand why some counties have fully supported this act of civil disobedience, while others have tried to silence us,” said Natalie Carlomagno, a sophomore at Walton High School.

The Cobb County School District did not endorse the 17-minute demonstrations that took place nationwide Wednesday. It had issued a statement saying participants may be subject to consequences.

Again, it really isn't civil disobedience if the school district is supporting it. If they just wanted to spend 17 minutes in solidarity without consequences then they could have started 17 minutes before or after school.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    My favorite passage from the linked WABE article:

A single speaker, Pamela Reardon, a resident and parent of a former Cobb County student, offered support for the district’s policy.

I think the students are being used by certain factions in our society about these protests. And I want to commend Cobb County for saying they shouldn’t walk out because we as taxpayers are paying for their education,” Reardon said.

She says students should protest after school.

Followed by validation of her theory...

Several student speakers noted they do plan to march against mass shooting violence in another national action planned for next weekend.

Walton High School freshman Divya Virmani bristled at being told by school administrators how and when to protest.

“This whole movement is student-led. And the whole reason why we want to do it for 17 minutes on March 14 is because a bunch of students at their own schools all across the nation were doing it,” Virmani said.

Ah yes, wonderful iteration of one's reasoning there.
    Go get him!