Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland School Shooting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasack...yV6#.xoNznGz3o

Last fall, a Mississippi bail bondsman and frequent YouTube vlogger noticed an alarming comment left on one of his videos. "I'm going to be a professional school shooter," said a user named Nikolas Cruz.

The YouTuber, 36-year-old Ben Bennight, alerted the FBI, emailing a screenshot of the comment to the bureau's tips account. He also flagged the comment to YouTube, which removed it from the video.

Agents with the bureau's Mississippi field office got back to him "immediately," Bennight said, and conducted an in-person interview the following day, on Sept. 25.

"They came to my office the next morning and asked me if I knew anything about the person," Bennight told BuzzFeed News. "I didn't. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them."
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Hmm, I did reply about a "solution"

Weird that I don't see it now

And I'm glad you want me to fix it by myself but I digress

But

I would start by going to other western countries that have virtually eliminated these from happening and proceed from there with my findings on measures to help curb this epidemic
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Hmm, I did reply about a "solution"

Weird that I don't see it now

And I'm glad you want me to fix it by myself but I digress

But

I would start by going to other western countries that have virtually eliminated these from happening and proceed from there with my findings on measures to help curb this epidemic
    I saw it. Think it was in another thread.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I saw it. Think it was in another thread.

Word.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasack...yV6#.xoNznGz3o

Last fall, a Mississippi bail bondsman and frequent YouTube vlogger noticed an alarming comment left on one of his videos. "I'm going to be a professional school shooter," said a user named Nikolas Cruz.

The YouTuber, 36-year-old Ben Bennight, alerted the FBI, emailing a screenshot of the comment to the bureau's tips account. He also flagged the comment to YouTube, which removed it from the video.

Agents with the bureau's Mississippi field office got back to him "immediately," Bennight said, and conducted an in-person interview the following day, on Sept. 25.

"They came to my office the next morning and asked me if I knew anything about the person," Bennight told BuzzFeed News. "I didn't. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them."

Okay, what do you suggest doing with someone who makes a threat like that? I feel like aggressive investigation and enforcement of comments like this is likely to lead to 99% of those arrested were never any real threat to anyone. Do we want to throw 13 year olds in prison for making a sarcastic comment?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Okay, what do you suggest doing with someone who makes a threat like that? I feel like aggressive investigation and enforcement of comments like this is likely to lead to 99% of those arrested were never any real threat to anyone. Do we want to throw 13 year olds in prison for making a sarcastic comment?
    I agree with you, any system we are likely to come up with would be too easily abused. It isn't an easy problem to solve.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Personal accountability is a bad word for the left.
    so ****ing stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    thethe pretty silent on the pictures of the gun man wearing a trump hat

guess it doesn't fit his narrative he likes to push around here about the "violent left" (lol)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Show me the politician that has actually told us what they wanted to do when they say 'common sense gun laws'.
    Maybe I wasn’t clear.

I’m not stating that politicians have stated clear common sense gun laws. I’m just arguing that it’s not the responsibility of citizens to form gun control policies. It’s enough to simply ask for better gun control policies and expect politicians to draft legislations based off of those wishes.

Instead we have Republican politicians who hide from the issue entirely and Democrats who get caught up blaming the NRA and prayer.

I want gun control and I want some politician, somewhere to propose a complete policy that at least tries to fix these issues instead of doing nothing.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    media coverage of heinous crimes is to be expected, it's gonna warrant hits but it gets hits cause it is absolutely fascinating to try to understand a monster.

same reason why most watch things about serial killers etc.

they are so different than most it's interesting to try to understand how they got there
    I don't think anyone has advocated that we abstain from covering the crimes, but I have suggested that we make a conscious effort to grant less immediate attention to the perpetrators. There is precedent; in certain cases, we don't name victims of crimes who are minors, or victims until their families are informed, for example. Behavioral science generally supports a conclusion that the 'attention factor' is one reasoning that compels/incites would-be mass murderers to action.

More broadly, I've heard noise about the "Contagion Effect" or "Media Contagion" as it relates to sensationalized media coverage of the event itself, and how that inspires copycats and, in general, dangles a carrot to troubled types. I'm not sure how we, as media-driven and media-obsessed Americans, get around the larger issue, but I do think that any thoughtful media critique of coverage of these events should throw up a few red flags, and the criminal glorification aspect looms largest.

The "is to be expected" and 'it's about ratings' perspectives are just another way of saying there is "no way to prevent this".

i never really put Hawk as a Tipper Gore type so it's weird to see that angle
    You should hear my theory on societal disintegration as a result of all of these ****ty superhero movies.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-15-2018), Jaw (02-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    thethe pretty silent on the pictures of the gun man wearing a trump hat

guess it doesn't fit his narrative he likes to push around here about the "violent left" (lol)
    When did those pictures come out? Was I aware of them?

The violent left is a real thing so not sure how this impacts that notion at all.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    You know what they did in Norway after that lunatic killed all those people after trapping them on an island in 2011?

They pulled Call of Duty and Counterstrike off the shelves.

something something Tipper Gore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    that wasn't gov't induced

and was temporary too

but something something

i also don't agree with the video game blame angle

obviously

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    that wasn't gov't induced

and was temporary too

but something something

i also don't agree with the video game blame angle

obviously
    You don't agree that video games have desensitized players to mass violence?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...esensitization

I killed 76 people in a standard COD domination match on London Docks the other night (with the help of paratroopers and ball turret).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

The "is to be expected" and 'it's about ratings' perspectives are just another way of saying there is "no way to prevent this".
    i agree with most everything you said here except this part

i was saying humans are fascinated by it cause they (mass shooters, serial killers etc etc) are just normal people to people and are curious how they could do such horrible things. it's far from the norm.

i'm fascinated by horrible dictators and serial killers to try to understand how they get to where they do what they do.

it doesn't make me want to do what they do

but i would find it odd if you aren't in some way fascinated by these types of monsters

thus why i think it is to be expected for people to tune into it and what not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    You don't agree that video games have desensitized players to mass violence?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...esensitization

I killed 76 people in a standard COD domination match on London Docks the other night (with the help of paratroopers and ball turret).
    anything that doesn't have you interact with humans can desensitize you to other humans

it's lazy imo to say COD or Battlefield is the reason for that

still playing COD eh? i left that franchise when they started the future flying ****. been on Battlefield since

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    i agree with most everything you said here except this part

i was saying humans are fascinated by it cause they (mass shooters, serial killers etc etc) are just normal people to people and are curious how they could do such horrible things. it's far from the norm.

i'm fascinated by horrible dictators and serial killers to try to understand how they get to where they do what they do.

it doesn't make me want to do what they do

but i would find it odd if you aren't in some way fascinated by these types of monsters

thus why i think it is to be expected for people to tune into it and what not
    I am fascinated, and I said specifically upthread that I was and even recommended a book about the Columbine kids.

"it doesn't make me want to do what they do"

Well, that's because you are a well-adjusted adult.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-16-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    anything that doesn't have you interact with humans can desensitize you to other humans

it's lazy imo to say COD or Battlefield is the reason for that

still playing COD eh? i left that franchise when they started the future flying ****. been on Battlefield since
    The new COD is WWII. I came back to it - left after Modern Warfare. Battlefield is my favorite though. Way more realistic.

I would agree that it is lazy to say, "COD made this person kill those people."

But that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that it is most likely a contributing factor (in some cases) and that we should do whatever we can to mitigate the issue.

I don't think there is any one thing that we can point at as a solution to the problem. That includes guns.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-15-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I don't think anyone has advocated that we abstain from covering the crimes, but I have suggested that we make a conscious effort to grant less immediate attention to the perpetrators. There is precedent; in certain cases, we don't name victims of crimes who are minors, or victims until their families are informed, for example. Behavioral science generally supports a conclusion that the 'attention factor' is one reasoning that compels/incites would-be mass murderers to action.

More broadly, I've heard noise about the "Contagion Effect" or "Media Contagion" as it relates to sensationalized media coverage of the event itself, and how that inspires copycats and, in general, dangles a carrot to troubled types. I'm not sure how we, as media-driven and media-obsessed Americans, get around the larger issue, but I do think that any thoughtful media critique of coverage of these events should throw up a few red flags, and the criminal glorification aspect looms largest.

You should hear my theory on societal disintegration as a result of all of these ****ty superhero movies.
    I agree about the media coverage. I think that's spot on.

I agree about violence in entertainment media, as well, though with a lot of caveats and caution on specifics and scale. I think the video game conversation is a daunting and fascinating one, and one that hits home for me, because I grew up with the first generation of FPS games and have some really conflicted feelings about them now.

I think precisely the converse about societal disintegration and superhero movies.

The sticking point for me is that you really do seem to consider the easy availability of mass murder tools (and 9-figure lobbying efforts to keep them that way) as a footnote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    It is nice to see the actual discussion and explaining of stances in this thread, instead of the 'shouting past each other' that we are all guilty of at times.
    Go get him!